Gregtech recipes = ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
Heh I like that change, makes sense that you're not pressing ingots to blocks with your hands, no? Also if you build a machine for it, it's quite fast to do.
Well if you feel like hunting magma cubes - seriously I see 1 in 5 days; I just hunted a couple blaze rods and used slimeballs + blaze powder :3 Anyway, in newer versions he added an industrial blast furnace too, probably more on the mid-game side of things though.

And well I like more varying materials, some things need material A and other need material B. I also like that you can craft these thingies with circuits from other mods.
Refined Iron itself may not be hard enough to drill through quite everything, thus you need steel, or such.

Anyway I just welcome the changes~ And while steel might not make some stuff very very endgame, it adds a nice layer of early game progression which was needed by IC imo. Just like you have to go find a rubber tree (which can be tedious at times) before you can get started on IC progression.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
I've already given up debating this point since despite the logical and sensible reasons for turning these settings off they probably won't be. Heck even DW20 said he isn't sure yet if he will use GT in his next SP LP. That really should say something if nothing else does.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
That isn't actually true because refined iron is used consistently. The items that were changed to steel are intentionally specific and limited, adding complexity for no reason.
The latest Railcraft includes a config to use steel in all recipes in place of Refined Iron now you can have the consistency as well as the steel :D

potter

Jul 29, 2019
The latest Railcraft includes a config to use steel in all recipes in place of refined Iron now you can have the consistency as well as the steel :D
Nice, i might just use that for myself. Smelting an iron bar into a better type of iron bar never sat right with me.

Reactions: Confidential1207

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I've already given up debating this point since despite the logical and sensible reasons for turning these settings off they probably won't be. Heck even DW20 said he isn't sure yet if he will use GT in his next SP LP. That really should say something if nothing else does.

Direwolf20 isn't the end-all decision maker in relation to what makes mods good or bad. He is a person who has an opinion and a certain preference for how he enjoys things most. And that means he is exactly the same as you. There's only one difference between the two of you - he is willing to toss out his ingrained ways, give things a chance and try them out for the heck of it. Then he makes mod spotlights (even about GregTech) where he shows off all the things he found cool about a mod.

Whereas you just come to the forum and argue about what you think is bad about a mod. Maybe even without having played it for real, which happens with disturbing regularity.

What you tout as "logical and sensible" arguments here are nothing more than opinion pieces. This is a game; the only definition of logic it follows is the logic of fun, and that one is almost 100% subjective. Therefore your opinions are not everyone else's by default. You are of course free to try and lobby for your opinions, and convince other people of them; but sometimes you just need to "agree to disagree", as they say. Ideally without throwing your figurative hands up in a most dramatic fashion.

At the end of the day, it's completely okay for different people to have different opinions. Especially when this modpack gives you the most powerful tools to configure your gameplay experience of any modpack ever distributed.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Whereas you just come to the forum and argue about what you think is bad about a mod. Maybe even without having played it for real, which happens with disturbing regularity.

I have said on many occasions that I have played both with it enabled in default configuration and my chosen configuration (which disabled some of the silly and pointless changes).

What you tout as "logical and sensible" arguments here are nothing more than opinion pieces. This is a game; the only definition of logic it follows is the logic of fun, and that one is almost 100% subjective. Therefore your opinions are not everyone else's by default. You are of course free to try and lobby for your opinions, and convince other people of them; but sometimes you just need to "agree to disagree", as they say. Ideally without throwing your figurative hands up in a most dramatic fashion.

Logical and sensible is quite important when you have people coming to the forum who are confused about why things are changed and when they can't understand why they were.

I have agreed to disagree. In the end people will hold to their own points of view regardless - though by the same principal people should be given easy access to enforce their own choices on the install.

At the end of the day, it's completely okay for different people to have different opinions. Especially when this modpack gives you the most powerful tools to configure your gameplay experience of any modpack ever distributed.

That is another valid reason for these settings being fixed that I actually did not consider It is also usually customary to leave have the game mode set easier and then let people make them harder as they see fit. Not the other way around.

Like I said I am not interested in continuing this debate any further. I feel I have have stated my point and I really don't have anything further if want to add. If anyone chooses to support or contest it is their choice.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
That is another valid reason for these settings being fixed that I actually did not consider It is also usually customary to leave have the game mode set easier and then let people make them harder as they see fit. Not the other way around.

Most gaming-companies, the most popular is named Blizzard, do it the other way around. Make it hard and tune it down later. And actually if you don't give people the hard option first, they will just move on without even knowing that more difficult options exist, but if they notice that something changed and is more challanging they might look into it, and notice that it is set to be harder.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Most gaming-companies, the most popular is named Blizzard, do it the other way around. Make it hard and tune it down later. And actually if you don't give people the hard option first, they will just move on without even knowing that more difficult options exist, but if they notice that something changed and is more challanging they might look into it, and notice that it is set to be harder.

Minecraft does not ascribe to that philosophy as is clearly evident by the fact that the default mod is not hard. People who find it easy are likely to be advanced users who can modify configs to make it harder. The reverse is not necessarily true.

Rob Crawford

Jul 29, 2019
Curious then: How would you recommend powering the various forestry farms without wasting fuel? Usually a forestry farm has a lot of time sitting around waiting for things to grow. Running an engine constantly isn't very efficient.

Back in 1.2.5, I had a simple rig made from a RedPower timer, toggle latch, and a gate (NAND or AND, can't remember) that switched on the engines for my farms for five minutes every hour and a half. Worked like a charm.

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious how people go about into starting out in GregTech. I have quite a bit of ores and base machines of IC2. including the Industrial Centrifuge, but where do you guys start with the other GT stuff? I have some extra diamonds and lapotron crystals, but a lot of recipes require iridium, of which I only have one. What are the first few parts and/or machines do you guys go off with next, assuming lack of iridium ore?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Something ridiculous about the recipes is that you can't make the drill without steel but you can make a mining laser with only two glowstone dust obtained from the Nether. You need a couple diamonds but the point is that you can make the next tier before the previous one. You need the steel for even the electric hoe which isn't even more powerful than a normal hoe, just uses EU instead of cobblestone.

It doesn't even matter to me that the solar panels are too hard to make. I just use the OP Igneous Extruder from Thermal Expansion and make 100% free cobblestone that I feed to a Recycler that feeds a Generator that can then power the Recycler and other machines on top of that. It's super efficient and requires no maintenance. You can add three more Recyclers with Igneous Extruders for them to get the Generator to run at full blast. Who needs Solar Panels or Water Mills when you can make a more efficient system with less space requirements?

GregTech would work if there only were no other mods than IC2, BuildCraft and RailCraft. With the other mods' better ways of doing things it's only making parts of IC2 useless. Not harder or worse, flat out useless, because you don't have to use them.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
You can't call the extruder OP in any way because automatic cobblestone generators were always possible in some form or another. The only difference being that this one does it as a block. That's not really OP if you ask me.

Other than that you make a very good point. The mining laser is another example that I didn't think of. Quite funny when you think about it.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You can't call the extruder OP in any way because automatic cobblestone generators were always possible in some form or another. The only difference being that this one does it as a block. That's not really OP if you ask me.

Other than that you make a very good point. The mining laser is another example that I didn't think of. Quite funny when you think about it.
It is OP, it makes one cobblestone in 2 seconds and you don't have to do anything. You don't even have to power it, works by itself. Cobblestone is infinite in vanilla, too, but this makes it way too easy. But it's not a fault of GregTech, though.

And still they refused to include TreeCapitator with the reason that it is OP. Its default config makes the tools take full durability hit for every log broken and you can even adjust that. The point of the mod is to reduce tedium without making the process game breaking. You still have to chop the trees yourself. Igneous Extruder has the same idea but it makes cobblestone completely automatically with good speed with only one of them and that is in the pack.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
It is OP, it makes one cobblestone in 2 seconds and you don't have to do anything. You don't even have to power it, works by itself. Cobblestone is infinite in vanilla, too, but this makes it way too easy. But it's not a fault of GregTech, though.

And still they refused to include TreeCapitator with the reason that it is OP. Its default config makes the tools take full durability hit for every log broken and you can even adjust that. The point of the mod is to reduce tedium without making the process game breaking. You still have to chop the trees yourself. Igneous Extruder has the same idea but it makes cobblestone completely automatically with good speed with only one of them and that is in the pack.

That is no different than a cobblestone generator you could build with redpower block breakers. You could make that even more efficient. OP is a relative term and in this case OP is a faulty label because that ability was always there.

Slow himself even said that it wasn't unbalanced because methods for creating cobble in far larger quantities already existed. Slow is pretty stern when it comes to balance and he got this one right in my opinion.

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
Treecap is OP for cutting down trees too easy and quickly

A cobblegen doesn't really need power if done with a turtle, block breaker, etc either ~

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious how people go about into starting out in GregTech. I have quite a bit of ores and base machines of IC2. including the Industrial Centrifuge, but where do you guys start with the other GT stuff? I have some extra diamonds and lapotron crystals, but a lot of recipes require iridium, of which I only have one. What are the first few parts and/or machines do you guys go off with next, assuming lack of iridium ore?

Myself, I am going for the matter fabricator first (well, second, after the centrifuge). It does require 20 iridium which you have to mine somewhere, but I do it first precisely for that reason. At least once the matter fabricator is up, you can generate iridium out of UU-Matter. Also, a lot of the other GregTech things involve ridiculous energy storage, generation and transfer - far more than I personally need, so these things are of no interest to me. At least, not until I have the matter fabricator, that is :p

Consider the Nether, by the way - iridium ore spawns there too, and is far easier to find than in the overworld because a.) the chunks are only half as big and b.) consist mostly of air and c.) the grey-white ore sticks out of the uniform red like a sore thumb, making it super-easy to spot. And while you're there, mine some Pyrite deposits for ridiculous amounts of XP and extra iron when you throw that stuff into the centrifuge.

And find yourself a desert or savannah biome, you're going to need 72 rubies. More if you want to use them to build the 24 lapotron crystals, although diamonds or especially sapphires (ocean biomes) also work for that.

Reactions: enoch

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't even matter to me that the solar panels are too hard to make. I just use the OP Igneous Extruder from Thermal Expansion and make 100% free cobblestone that I feed to a Recycler that feeds a Generator that can then power the Recycler and other machines on top of that. It's super efficient and requires no maintenance. You can add three more Recyclers with Igneous Extruders for them to get the Generator to run at full blast. Who needs Solar Panels or Water Mills when you can make a more efficient system with less space requirements?

Well... one Cobblestone every 2 seconds? Every redstone-based cobble-generator is way faster and... totally free. And actually IC2 was useless since TE... with Xycraft it will be completly useless because even the tools are replaced by the gauntlet. And yes the Cobble-Gen + Recycler combo was always OP... no need for TE, since the Igneous Extruder is too slow for a recycler, a normal Cobble-Gen is way better.

The Mining-Laser is already fixed. Mining-Laser and Diamond-Drill require Titanium in later versions. And Steel on the other hand is easier to get... or better a bit different from before.

Jerakl

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech makes it this way so that the main purpose in Minecraft again is to mine.
complicated? yes
Mining? lots
Sense of accomplishment once complete? check

killerpod89

Jul 29, 2019
Usa
meettomy.site
i think that GT adds a lot more difficoulty to FTB but i think it's quite fine apart from the need of a tons of irifium that is too hard to find, i think they should increase the vanilla spawn rate a little bit.
That is my opinion ^^

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Iridium ore isn't a vanilla material, it's added by GregTech. It also has a config option that allows you to increase or decrease the spawn rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.