Your thoughts on the Technic Platform?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
[/quote]
Actually it is. December 26 would mean that it's probably for Minecraft 1.4.6, and 1.4.6 mods work on 1.4.7 (I know, I've been using Forge for 1.4.6 to develop my mod for 1.4.7)[/quote]

Well then, the FTB has (once again) gone against their own policies and decided to use a fork instead of the original. In either regard, the copyright bollocks is already up in the air, so it may not matter.

Reactions: Mooseman9

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like starting a new thread on the General Discussion forum on the Plus+ Pack so this can get back to topic.

I feel like the Plus+ discussion is central to the Platform discussion (both of which honestly would be a better fit over in general). The key difference between the Platform implementation and the FTB implementation is permissions and "publicness" (to coin a term). FTB private packs are both permission required, and actually private. Platform are neither in general. IF what Plus+ is doing turns out to be ok, then the platform option is clearly superior, if it is not, then what FTB does is clearly required.

Further, what Plus+ does is also great for private packs in a second way that may not be obvious. Right now if I want to make a private pack I need to do all the ID and config management stuff myself. If a thing like Plus+ exists, I can simply download that, pull out what I do not want, and call it my pack. Removing mods rarely causes problems, and with Plus+ having everything including the kitchen sink I should not have to worry about adding anything.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
How do you know Snyke didnt contact him through PM? And they actually use Atomic Strykers version, to which they do have Permission for.

The FTB team has stated that the will not use forks of mods if the original mod exists and is being updated. This was the excuse in regards to Logistics Pipes.

TheSirusKing

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB team has stated that the will not use forks of mods if the original mod exists and is being updated. This was the excuse in regards to Logistics Pipes.
The original mod author (Zippinus) stopped updating it and let 2 People make an updated version.
The "Original" Version is updated by another person, but doesnt have the Overclocker slots, the "Modified" Version is by the other person who was given permission, Atomic Stryker.[DOUBLEPOST=1362429653][/DOUBLEPOST]
Isn't it on 1.115? The version in the FTB is 1.112 though :p
Beta 1.115, backwards Compatible to 1.112 (the latest non-beta version) though.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The original mod author (Zippinus) stopped updating it and let 2 People make an updated version.
The "Original" Version is updated by another person, but doesnt have the Overclocker slots, the "Modified" Version is by the other person who was given permission, Atomic Stryker.

At this point, using the term "original" version, then, is a misnomer. They're both forks, as the "original" version was retired with the original mod author stopped updating the mod. That person let two other people fork it, so there are two two forks, one of which we are using. Glad we got that solved.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
At this point, using the term "original" version, then, is a misnomer. They're both forks, as the "original" version was retired with the original mod author stopped updating the mod. That person let two other people fork it, so there are two two forks, one of which we are using. Glad we got that solved.
I would have had sympathy for the FTB team, if they simply had gotten confused about all the permissions and pseudo-legal-issues they got themselves entangled in.
This is exactly why, IMO, all mods should by definition be open source. Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
I would have had sympathy for the FTB team, if they simply had gotten confused about all the permissions and pseudo-legal-issues they got themselves entangled in.
This is exactly why, IMO, all mods should by definition be open source. Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer.
Come join me, and we can dream the open source dream together! The dream is even licensed under the GPL!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

No, you are not. But you may want to make sure to read this link: http://wiki.pluspluspack.com/index.php?title=Copyright and see if that makes sense with what you want.

Assuming that data is correct, we'll see a fairly massive upset in the modding community. We will likely end up losing a few mods from authors that have, pardon my (Google Translated) French, tenir leur crosse (let's just pretend that said "stick up their butt", alrighty?). The rest of the mod authors will adapt, and that'll be that.

If it is not correct, then let's sit back and get ready to enjoy the fireworks!

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
you may want to make sure to read this link: http://wiki.pluspluspack.com/index.php?title=Copyright and see if that makes sense with what you want.

Yeah I read that earlier. I'm in no way a legal expert, so I can't judge if it's correct, but it totally makes sense to me. I just wish we wouldn't need lawsuits for mod developers to come to their senses.

EDIT:
I'm not French, but I live in France and I'm quite fluent... Let me put it this way: Don't trust google translations :D

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I read that earlier. I'm in no way a legal expert, so I can not judge if it's correct, but it totally makes sense to me. I just wish we wouldn't need lawsuits for mod developers to come to their senses.

There are a lot of things I wish we did not need that would end up making things better merely by removing them. On the bright side, unlike a proper space defense system or human digitalization, THIS appears to becoming to a head fairly soon indeed.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Without reading the earlier posts, all I can say is that Mod developers need to stop whining about their mods being put into mod packs. They should be thankful. Also, just think about it, you post a work of yours on the internet. If you honestly don't want it to be used and re-published in a pack, then don't put it on the internet.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT:
I'm not French, but I live in France and I'm quite fluent... Let me put it this way: Don't trust google translations :D

Oui, I Google Translated it back, and decided that it'll be funny for three groups of people: Anyone that does not speak French and decides to just believe that is what it means, anyone that does not speak French and decides to check it with a translator, and anyone that does speak French.

If it means anything CLOSE to what Google translate was saying it meant, then it is even better, hahah.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
I am looking forward to what happens with plus+ as well since the mod authors have already tried everything they could short of entering a court room and it had no effect. All the drm they have thrown their way has been defeated by the goon programers and all of the DMCA take downs have had little effect. Personally I hope it goes to court to settle all the non-sense once and for all.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I am looking forward to what happens with plus+ as well since the mod authors have already tried everything they could short of entering a court room and it had no effect. All the drm they have thrown their way has been defeated by the goon programers and all of the DMCA take downs have had little effect. Personally I hope it goes to court to settle all the non-sense once and for all.

I think there's some fear that Forge will be deemed to be distributing Mojang's code.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I think there's some fear that Forge will be deemed to be distributing Mojang's code.

That may happen, yes. And it will, hopefully, be a non-issue when Mojang finally releases their API.

That aside, though, wouldn't Mojang need to address them in that regard for it to even matter? If Mojang does not say either way, it should still be a non-issue, as well.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Well this has been enlightening. To sound like a bitter, hate filled, emotionally unstable person I say that this more then shows me that when Mojang clears up their TOS they lay the law down. Do it like Terraria where they make it closed sourced. If you want to play then pay.

Again it saddens me that hard work is reduced to such a degree. If you are a mod writter, I believe, you should be paid for your skills and should not just make a hobby out of them. With how bad the world is not seeing people getting wealth for their work saddens me.

Status
Not open for further replies.