Will Eloraam's RedPower be a part of FTB ModPack as soon as she releases it?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That's very odd, because I can definitely replicate this issue reliably in my old Tekkit world. Maybe it depends on some specific circumstance...

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
That's very odd, because I can definitely replicate this issue reliably in my old Tekkit world. Maybe it depends on some specific circumstance...

Hmm... I know that the 0,2sec intervalls on the timer to weird things. I normally set the config to only allow at least a 20-tick-cylce which would be the 1sec thing. Basically every block next to the redalloy-wire will have a blockupdate, which is bad for servers. Maybe normal redstone powers less blocks around it, than red-alloy wire which might cause more updates in certain situations. The problem with normal redstone is lighting since redstone emits more light than the wire which might cause issues if in normally dark regions.

But I'm not sure all I ever noticed was heavy load on my machine because of rendering, which seems to be an issue with multiblocks also because of strange lighting-behavior, but it does not cause much server-load. I know that the Button of Death was caused by an infinite-loop, so the same issue could have caused problems with wires somewhere else, but this was fixed long ago.

But since she had to rewrite large parts of the mod she might also crushed some more bugs.

Thranx

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm overly excessive bandwidth hits with rapid redwire state toggling. Just with myself on a server with about 8-12 lines toggling at .2 will hop the bandwidth from about 150kbps to 700kbps. I had heard of this issue and was intentionally testing to confirm.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
Would anyone care if red alloy wire didn't actually act as a light source? I assume it's the constant lighting updates that caused so much lag, being as many have said that using insulated wires dramatically reduces this issue.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Would anyone care if red alloy wire didn't actually act as a light source? I assume it's the constant lighting updates that caused so much lag, being as many have said that using insulated wires dramatically reduces this issue.
Wait wait wait. Red alloy wire can act as a light source? I never knew that. Weird!
Also the lag drop could be due to the fact that the insulated wires don't need to render a change in the looks of the wire since they're... y'know, insulated, and therefore, you don't see the powered/unpowered state unless you're looking at one of the ends. If that makes sense.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
yeah insulated is much better for lighting, but lighting normally causes client-side issues.

The 0,2sec Timers are known and they are disabled in the config by most servers. 1 sec is the fastest intervall most servers allow which is enough. Overintense abuse of fast timers also causes troubles in SSP, but you can compensate that far easier with a pretty strong machine. Normally you should use timers on an intervall as long as possible for the given process... but I've seen people running transposer on 0,2sec to emtpy a macerator that produces stuff a lot slower.

Wait wait wait. Red alloy wire can act as a light source? I never knew that. Weird!
Also the lag drop could be due to the fact that the insulated wires don't need to render a change in the looks of the wire since they're... y'know, insulated, and therefore, you don't see the powered/unpowered state unless you're looking at one of the ends. If that makes sense.

It's less of a light-source as normal redstone though, I think it only lights up blocks next to it while redstone actually has a intensity of 7, which causes a lot of blocks to light up, which can cause render-issues, but should not be problematic for servers, more for the client (at least I noticed that for a vanilla-timer.

Shadowquinn

Jul 29, 2019
It would just be nice to get some kind of update on WTF is going on with this mod. Twitter is trash and now her blog site is down. And don't tell me that it is not damn near ready cause I have been watching DWs server play videos and it sure looks like it is about 90% done. Facades was giving them probs yes, but everything else looked like it worked pretty damn good.

Not giving some kind of update (other then "I am working on it") is just a slap in the face to those of us that believe in her mod and HAVE been waiting like good little boys and girls.

Reactions: Dravarden

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So sitting around waiting entitles you to extra service nowadays? Neat. I'll have to try that sometime.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Remember, DW doesn't record his videos the day he puts them out, they are normally about a week behind what is actually happening, especially his newest one which he even states that he is recording alot in advance recently because he had stuff to do.

So, RP is closer to being completed than his Videos suggest.

CParish

Jul 29, 2019
It does look like Redpower is close to being released, and I'm certainly excited. While I too wish there were more updates for the community, updates don't make the mod ready for release any faster. I'm comfortable knowing people are working on it and it will be worth starting a new world when done.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well actually people used scripts to search the site for update-information so I guess it is better that it is down, since this would have caused a lot of traffic.

Seeing all the work she already put into porting it beyond 1.3.2 I somehow think that she is looking forward to a release too. I can't imagine working weeks on something to make it work as good as possible and some possibly world-destroying bugs keep you from doing it.

Reactions: Thuulstrea

Distreicus

Jul 29, 2019
DW's vids are normaly 1-2 days off... but since he was away thanksgiving he was haveing more vids stored.

AbbySciuto

Jul 29, 2019
I think someone's trolling...
Someone on today's DW video has a comment saying RP2 will never be released again because someone on 4chan doxed Eloraam.

I don't believe anything dealing with 4chan because, well, it's 4chan.

ksbd

Jul 29, 2019
I think someone's trolling...
Someone on today's DW video has a comment saying RP2 will never be released again because someone on 4chan doxed Eloraam.

I don't believe anything dealing with 4chan because, well, it's 4chan.
I can only speak for myself here, but if I'd put so much effort into writing a mod like redpower, I doubt I'd not publish at least that version before I stopped? Even if what they were saying was true, I doubt Elo would just not publish, mainly because she'd know people would act up even more?
I don't know though, it's all speculation on my end.