Why does pretty much every mod use MJ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I mean, why? There are so many more ways of generating EU that there are MJ, yet the only mods that use EU are IC2 and GT, whereas virtually every other mod involving machines (apart from RP) uses MJ. Maybe there should be a way to configure the type of power than machines use (apart from Core IC2/BC machines).

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
BC power:
BC
Forestry
TE
Railcraft (more about producing, it has 2 machines that actually use MJ)

IC power:
IC
GT
Advanced Machines + Advanced Solars
Petrogen (generating only)
MFFS
Reactor Control
Turtle chargers from MiscPeripherals

I don't find it as uneven as you think... BC power runs with three major mods, while there's more smaller addons that use EU. And I hope FTB never goes the way of the other modpack, "create one power setup and power everything you have with converters".

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Because most of the "mods" that use MJ are, or began their life as, addons to Buildcraft. And there are really only five of them - Railcraft, Forestry and ExtraBees, Thermal Expansion, and Buildcraft itself. Five mods out of the 40+ mods in the FTB pack, that's not really all that much, is it?

On the other hand, the following mods deal with EU: Industrialcraft, Nuclear Control, Advanced Machines, Advanced Solars, GraviSuite, PetroGen, MFFS and GregTech. That's eight mods, three more than the Buildcraft side.

And even counting those two groups together, that's still less than half of the mods in the modpacks.

Your complaint is extra ironic, because back before the big update to 1.3, MJ using infrastructure basically did not exist. Everyone did everything with EU. In fact, people developed extra mods for the sole purpose of being able to run their quarries with EU, which was the one single machine that actually required more than a Redstone engine and was desired by most players. Oil refineries were shunned because 9 out of 10 people were too incompetent to set up proper cooling for combustion engines (it was harder back then, without liquiducts and aqueous accumulators), and well, since everything ran with EU, why bother?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I always just thought of gravisuite and the like as addons, since they can't exist without IC2. Whereas forestry, thermal expansion and railcraft are big enough mods to be in their own right. Also I forgot about factorization. I suppose the question should have been "why do mods use different power types at all?" (To be fair though, I imagine changing them all to use a different type of power would require a LOT of work).

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I think of BC as more of an API than a mod. It adds the basics itself, but you need mods like TE to use it instead of IC2 (for smelting and stuff). TE and Forestry and to a certain extent Railcraft are basically just addons to BC that grew, but they use the BC power system.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I think it has to do with Buildcraft beeing one of the big old mods. And it is open source too. Both this makes this to the mother of a lot of mods.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
If they didn't use MJ/Eu, each mod would need its own generators, cables ect
-And given how incompetent people get with just 3 main power systems (MJ, Eu, and BT) ...well you get the idea.

Adding configs to change power types would be a lot of necessary work for mod authors just to appease a small minority.
Far better to spend their time working on actual content.

Thinking about it- changing config settings for that would make it a lot worse. The machine/generator recipe indicates the power used/produced.
Its not hard to figure out- essentially randomising it with configs would mean everyone's world/server different.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
I use advanced solars and electric engines to power everything that uses MJ in my base. I don't think I've used a fuel consuming engine for my MJ needs since my first couple of hobbyist steam engines to get started. All my farms have 1 advanced solar each with an electrical engine, my workroom has an electric engine recharge station so I can swap out energy cubes when they run low. Even my bee facility only needs 4 advanced solars to run my centrifuge, squeezer, and genetic machines.

The only thing I can't run on EU is factorization, but I've never had a use for factorization machines... I've come to think of it as "that barrel and wrathlamp mod".

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I agree with you on factorization, although my sole use is for the barrels.

Since in my previous gameplay in that other tech mod was all EU and using solar power, I've decided this time round not to touch solar panels at all (excluding Redpower ones...). Definitely given me more to think about and more to build as a result.

Malkeus Diasporan

Jul 29, 2019
factorization is more of a 'look what I can do' mod for me, i like building long chains of machines with it. And that inventory manager block is sweet

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Yes i got the same problem with Factoryzation. I cant find a place or niche where it could fit in right.
I like some of the ideas but but if feels strange overall, can't tell exactly why.

I for myself enabled only compact solars on my server for the people who like to use solar power (don't want em to lag the server when building 512 normal ones :p). But the Advanced Solars i had on first where way to cheap. If you could build the first one you can create the UU Mater for the next in around 2 RL days. And one for itself gives way to much power output.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
The reason mods have their own power system is because the author probably felt the mod would be better off that way.

The exact reason you can only get by asking authors, but I think control and independence are the main reasons.

Personally I dislike BT power the most though, simply because BT feels very weak/indirect/slow. I also dislike the fact there is no way to convert to BT at all. I don't like 1 to 1 conversion, but I'm a big fan of lossy conversions. The complete lack of any type of conversion is a big turn off for me (even if you usually don't need much BT).
I dislike Factorization in general, so I'm not even going to discuss its power system.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Other than Factorization, there is no other method to get an average of 300% return on all ores. The slag furnace is pretty much a no-brainer for early game, get extra ores before you have any machinery. Factorization also offers the most efficient method of turning Coal Ore into Coal, even better than a Fortune pickaxe (Useful when you're short on diamonds). Last, the Grinder offers several conversions not available in any other mod: grass and mycelium to dirt, stone to gravel, etc.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Plus the biggest factor.. All the modders for BC and the ones mention Like forestry and railcraft are pretty much a team now that work together on all the mods.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Except for Factorization, all of these mods and their power systems were originally developed when inter-mod compatibility was not a thing that anyone cared about. That has changed radically over the past year. It's been very interesting to watch the mod makers come more and more together, and I'm excited to see what will come from the future of such endeavors.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
BT Engine - BT to MJ - very lossy you'll love it.

There's no lossy conversion from blutricity to anything. There's only one conversion, and that by default becomes 100%, or "lossless", because it bears the original, full values.

The reason you get so little Mj for so much blutricity is because the two mods operate on completely different planes of power. The Redpower furnaces are the most energy hungry devices in the entire mod, and they run on what equals 1 MJ/t... while TE does 2 MJ/t and Industrialcraft does 3 EU/t for its furnaces, and they are among the least power hungry machines available. It's a difference in the core design paradigm.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Other than Factorization, there is no other method to get an average of 300% return on all ores. The slag furnace is pretty much a no-brainer for early game, get extra ores before you have any machinery. Factorization also offers the most efficient method of turning Coal Ore into Coal, even better than a Fortune pickaxe (Useful when you're short on diamonds). Last, the Grinder offers several conversions not available in any other mod: grass and mycelium to dirt, stone to gravel, etc.

The gregtech industrial grinder can do 300% + extra small dust piles on some ores. It also gives you 2.5 coal from each coal ore. Mycelium/grass to dirt is hardly a feature to write home about. If you were desperate to convert a large number of those to dirt you could also use a RP block breaker and deployer on a timer or a button. Stone to gravel can be done in a rock crusher btw. None of these features are compelling enough to dedicate the space required for a factorization setup. It's mostly redundant functionality that you'll get from IC2/Gregtech/TC and those have multiple ways to generate power that don't require access to sunlight and a large area to set up mirrors. If Factorization used MJ, I might add a thing or two from it to my room but in it's current state it's a bit unwieldy compared to Thermal Expansion which doesn't require other mods to move items from one machine to the next for processing.

Perhaps if it had more unique things to offer that other mods aren't doing already. Thermal Expansion is a great example, it came onto the scene after IC2 already cornered the market on macerating ore for double yield but it offered new functionality for convenience. Pulverized ore could be moved into a furnace automatically just by placing them next to each other. BC had energy pipes, but TE added ones that don't lose energy and battery cubes for MJ storage.

I'm hopeful that Factorization will continue to add new things that set it apart.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Dragonfel, the packagers are fairly useful. So are the wrath lamps. Also, factorization craft packets allow for a computer controlled sortron-powered automated crafting facility