Which 3rd party modpack should I play?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Eureka920

Jul 29, 2019
There are soo many nowadays and each seems good, but I want to know which one you would recommend.

I want the modpack to be fun and not too complex, because I will be playing with someone with not a lot of mod experience.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Regrowth needs TE and Ender io
No. No it doesn't.

Not every pack needs TE/EIO, Thaumcraft, Buildcraft, Blood Magic, Botania, Tinkers Construct, Applied Energistics 2, etc.
And quite frankly, I am fed up of people seeing a perfectly good pack and saying "add <popular mod>" / "this pack needs <popular mod>"... The pack's balanced around the mods that are there, and most of the time, is more enjoyable with just the mods the pack dev intended, and not the mods "fanboys" wants. If you have completed Regrowth and can tell me that there is something in EIO/TE that was missing from Regrowth (not a machine, but a mechanic; ore doubling, etc.) then feel free to say what was missing, but not a mod.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
No. No it doesn't.

Not every pack needs TE/EIO, Thaumcraft, Buildcraft, Blood Magic, Botania, Tinkers Construct, Applied Energistics 2, etc.
And quite frankly, I am fed up of people seeing a perfectly good pack and saying "add <popular mod>" / "this pack needs <popular mod>"... The pack's balanced around the mods that are there, and most of the time, is more enjoyable with just the mods the pack dev intended, and not the mods "fanboys" wants. If you have completed Regrowth and can tell me that there is something in EIO/TE that was missing from Regrowth (not a machine, but a mechanic; ore doubling, etc.) then feel free to say what was missing, but not a mod.
Actually yes - THIS!^^

That was a much better way of saying it than I did :)

I love TE, and EnderIO, I really do, but they don't have to be in EVERY modpack! And as @jordsta95 said - is there anything mechanically missing? I'd put money on the answer being no.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Because it doesn't have the mods you want, or because...?
Probably best to leave what is an especially unhelpful comment & now generally unhelpful commenter be :) that's what I'm going to do.

@Eureka920 I'd steer clear of things like Blood N Bones and ME^4 based on their difficulty and complexity; AgSkies is older now but still fun... why not download one or two and have a go by yourself first? See what takes your fancy :)

EDIT: I was trying to think of the name of one while writing this originally and couldn't remember: Flux Galaxy. I think that looks like a really interesting one by @ChatFawkes

Reactions: jordsta95

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming there's no overhaul mods in a pack you know you can plop a beginner in a "complex" mod pack. So long as the vanilla fundamentals are there you can just take a slow pace.
Just becasue all the mods are there doesn't mean you HAVE to use them all.