When to update and stuff like that

Haruchai

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a private MC server over the w/e which is hosted by Fragnet. We're using the FTB Mindcrack pack administered through McMyAdmin which is configured to use the latest ForgeMod "server type". Everything seems to be working flawlessly. (Thanks to those of you who have worked on these packages!)

My first questions concern upgrading. One of the guys in the group is wanting to immediately upgrade to the newest version of Traincraft. My inclination is to wait until the FTB launcher updates the mod, then update it on the server. I'd rather not have to send out emails to the group asking them to upgrade to xxxx and walk them through the process, etc. So, should I wait for FTB to update, or do it manually (is a manual update a big deal?)?

Also, NEI has been updated (I keep getting a message through the McMyAdmin panel). Should that be updated now, or again, wait until FTB includes an updated version?

Lastly, which thread or section of the website should I watch for announcements or schedules pertaining to updates schedules?

Thanks folks.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is the traditional "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I then apply further logic, if it is broken. Are the people on your server experienced with modded setups, as in they can setup an instance without MultiMC, or FTB launcher? If not, just wait for FTB launcher to update, saves the headaches and dented desks. As for looking for update news, I use RSS feeds, Github, and follow topics for mods on MCF.

Keep in mind though, I am your average high school student with plenty of time to burn messing with code and Minecraft, so these sources might leave you annoyed at the huge amount of incoming entries.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
As serveradmin myself i say with till the launcher updates to update the server, that way you know all clients will have the right version installed.
The most annoying thing inmo is trying to troubleshoot your members if they think they know everything better (i guess al server admins know what group i'm referring to)

Reactions: darkinnit

Haruchai

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry so late getting back to you. The flu kicked my butt this week.

My thoughts are the same as yours and I've made it known to my server that we'll all update when the launcher updates.