What am I doing wrong?

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I built a quarry and a redstone engine to try out.

It's not working.

Any help much appreciated!
2012-11-07_16.54.16.png

Jiggins

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone engines are the weakest of all engines. a single engine will not be able to power a quarry, three redstone engines may be able to power it but you will get approx. 1 block every 20 seconds. Try using two or three Steam Engines powered by coal. Also note that engines will run faster when they heat up (change colour, blue -> green -> orange -> red).

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
as said above there power input is a problem, redstone engines give 1 mj per tic, a quarry need 10+ mj per tick to be effective, so 2 or 3 Stirling engines or better still 2 biogas engines will get you off the ground, really mate google some info & builds, if I didnt know better I would say this was a troll topic..........

bad wolf

Jul 29, 2019
as said above there power input is a problem, redstone engines give 1 mj per tic, a quarry need 10+ mj per tick to be effective, so 2 or 3 Stirling engines or better still 2 biogas engines will get you off the ground, really mate google some info & builds, if I didnt know better I would say this was a troll topic..........

Indeed... (but i thought that redstone engines only provide 1mj per second, not per tick)

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Not a troll, I've always been a vanilla player.

Just trying out some mods and stumbled across FTB and thought I'd give it a try.

bad wolf

Jul 29, 2019
so go ahed and try it with a few stirling engines (craftet with cobblestone instead of wood) (they are fueled by everything that burns in a furnace) to make the work you still have to supply a redstone current to them.

the most efficient/powerfull are the combustion engines (but they require liquid fuel)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I stand corrected you are correct bad wolf per sec not per tick, evil hamster I didnt mean to offend, & after going to check the BC wiki I see there is not a lot of info regarding the power requirements, but I normally at the early stages just use 2 coal or peat engine, until I have more power options later on, try that for now then later setup a power network to speed thing up

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help, the stirling engines were able to power my quarry.

Now I'm having another problem.

I'm trying out a powered furnace, I want to use my redstone engines :)

When connected directly to the furnace, the engines work fine.

When connected through conductive pipes I get nothing. The engine is warming up, but not moving.

2012-11-08_01.56.35.png

darR3Ke

Jul 29, 2019
when you open the interface of the furnace you can see on the right top tooltip, the blue one that looks like a conductive pipe, how much energy it needs to operate... so a redstone engine isn't enough to power it completely... so you are gonna need to add at least 1 more redstone engines to get the furnace going. You can also see if it is recieving energy if it's filling up.

I can recomend steampower from railcraft, they work great for those.

The reason why your engine isn't moving might be a glitch ? it should be powered cause the block behind it is powered by redstone, altho dont take my word for it, i am no expert. I usually just put a torch or a lever next to the engines on the ground. or some redalloy wiring (redpower, why U not here !)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
in general redstone engines are only used to pump items out of chest they lack the power to run most machines, look at it like this you need 5 redstone engines to give you the power of one coal engine, & most machines need at least 2 coal engines to work anywhere near well. so dont bother with redstone for power gen, use coal "Stirling" engines or better for power gen, create a single player test world & use nei or creative to test your build, thats what lot/most of us do I guess, now off to work afk for 10 hours :)

darR3Ke

Jul 29, 2019
oh, and i just found this interesting snippit of informations....

Redstone Engines will no longer provide power via wooden conductive pipes, i.e. they can no longer power anything they aren't directly facing. Say goodbye to those oddball Let's-power-a-quarry-with-a-bunch-of-redstone-engine systems, among other things.

RivingtonDown

Jul 29, 2019
A general rule of thumb is to only use Redstone Engines to power Wooden Transport/Waterproof Pipes and Buildcraft Pumps (1 per pipe and 3 or 4 per pump). It's pretty obvious why Redstone Engines can't really power machines when you look at the numbers.

Buildcraft Engines at full speed
notice the difference between MJ per tick and MJ per second
Combustion Engine w/Fuel = 5 MJ/t
Combustion Engine w/Oil = 2 MJ/t
Combustion Engine w/Lava = 1 MJ/t
Sterling Engine = 1 MJ/t
Redstone Engine = 0.05 MJ/t (or 1 MJ/s)

There's a bunch of engines in Forestry, Railcraft, and Thermal Expansion as well that have various special properties but none produce as little as a Redstone Engine. Redstone Engines are very important machines though, unless you have the ability to manufacture a ton of Autoarchic gates (which require laser systems, assembly tables, a lot of energy, and ender pearls) they're the best way to power wooden transport/waterproof pipes.