Vanilla Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyghtful

Jul 29, 2019
I was comparing the differences between the technic modpack and FTB modpack when I realized one major difference. It contained a Vanilla client. I'm not saying that made it superior in any way, it just made me want to return to technic more often because all of my favorite parts about minecraft were merged into one experience. I've been wondering for a while why FTB doesn't contain a vanilla modpack. I personally find it a pain having to switch between two different launchers. I think it would be a nice addition to the modpack if they added a Vanilla client.

PS. Not sure if this was the right section for this, so I figured it was my best bet.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Umm... you would have to close your client, open the FTB Launcher, launch vanilla. Right now: close your client, open Minecraft Launcher (in same folder??), launch vanilla. What is the problem here?

Reactions: Gr3n

Slyghtful

Jul 29, 2019
Umm... like i said, the hassle of switching between launchers... why don't they just include a vanilla client in it?

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm once again adding myself to the list of people who'd like Vanilla client in... and with the new upgraded 1.6 launcher intending to let you change between versions... I'm going to ask why can't we do this?

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
If you guys want a launcher that can launch FTB Vanilla and snapshots, just get MultiMC... I don't know why the people in the other thread about this couldn't get that through their skulls...

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
If you guys want a launcher that can launch FTB Vanilla and snapshots, just get MultiMC... I don't know why the people in the other thread about this couldn't get that through their skulls...
I don't get why you people don't understand we don't want to get yet another program/ launcher for Minecraft.

As someone else posted on that other thread:
For the MultiMC proponents: It's not that I have anything against MultiMC, but more that I don't already have it on my computer, and I don't really want to install yet another program to get a functionality that's almost provided by a program that I do have.

(On a side note, its pretty convenient he had that name. :p)

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why you people don't understand we don't want to get yet another program/ launcher for Minecraft.

As someone else posted on that other thread:

(On a side note, its pretty convenient he had that name. :p)
Exactly my point. Download MultiMC, import instances from FTB launcher, ignore FTB launcher until next update. MultiMC has implemented FTB launcher support for this very reason.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
So, Gr3n, your point is that we, as players, should completely abandon the use of the FTB launcher, just because it does not have vanilla in it, instead of requesting that they include vanilla?

Reactions: ApSciLiara and Yuka

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
So, Gr3n, your point is that we, as players, should completely abandon the use of the FTB launcher, just because it does not have vanilla in it, instead of requesting that they include vanilla?
It's not like they get revenue from us using the launcher, it is merely a means of getting the mod packs out to us. You wanted a launcher that does certain other things, and I directed you to a launcher that does exactly what you want.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
You are very good at pretending to not see the point, so that you can try to win some perceived argument.

It's a feature request. I am aware that it is a request and can be turned down or ignored at whim.

If private packs where a little more transparent, I'd acomplish this simply by (setting up/requesting) a private pack that consists of little more then nei, the right number of forge, and a version of minecraft, and then try to get a thread with the names and passwords for the pack made a sticky.

As a work around that a member of staff could do, it would be less then a day of effort.

As part of the launcher, here I am clueless.

So while I might not be aware of how much work I am asking for in some future version, I do know what I'm asking for, for the function to go into this version.

It's not an unreasonable request. You just seem to get very upset that other people don't like your solution.

Slyghtful

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly my point. Download MultiMC, import instances from FTB launcher, ignore FTB launcher until next update. MultiMC has implemented FTB launcher support for this very reason.

While that's a sound solution, there's still the issue of going between two launchers. In fact, that is how I currently operate my minecraft files. I'm just wondering what their reasoning is for not adding a vanilla client into the launcher. It would certainly make it less of a hassle for the FTB fans to play vanilla or on vanilla servers.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
From what I can see, this wouldn't be very hard to implement. Either it would:
Download a new instance of vanilla into the FTB folder from the Mojang servers.
Run and maintain the original %appdata%\.minecraft\

Either of these would be relatively simple (from the way I would make it, not that I'm necessarily the best coder out there), just changing the files downloaded and instance folder location. For all we know, it's already planned, and the launcher devs are laughing at our ignorance :p

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
if this is true, I'm going to take my 1.2.5 saves, drag in an optifine, and keep it around for when I want something simple and nice.

Might even do the same with my retro map, mostly because so many things I made are artistic and pretty.... I got bored.

Reactions: Nerixel

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
I saw that too and would like to apologize for my pointless arguing on the thread here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.