Uses for massive amounts of cobblestone

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone:
I was wondeing what people can do with the massive ammounts of cobblestone that can be aquired while mining and clearing areas. I've only used the DW20 pack so far so I'm not too sure if the Mindcrack has any additional uses for cobblestone, however what usefull things can be done with it? Here the only uses I know:
Cobble -> Smoothstone: Vanilla
Cobble -> Lava: TE (Magma Crucible)
Cobble -> Sand: TE (Pulverizer)
Cobble -> Scrap: IC2 (Recycler)
Cobble destroyed in Lava
Cobble destroyed in a Void Pipe

Are there anyother uses that I'm missing? I dont like destroying it if there is a usefull way of getting rid of it. Is there a way to change cobble to dirt for use in forestry machines?

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
EE3 Minium stone, turns it into grass blocks. Silktouch free. Turning a mass amount would require you had excess shards though. Which isn't a problem if you have a manual xp farm. You can also turn 6 cobble into 1 basalt cobble too. Again minium stone. You can also turn it into netherrak in a soulforge but that isn't exactly cheap. That is about all I can think of.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
With the cobble > sand thing you also get gravel, which can be pulverized for flint, so that helps some. The sand can be used to make sandstone, which can be converted into Smooth Sandstone and Chiseled sandstone, which have some pretty useful aspects for Thaumcraft. Also, the sand itself can be used in an induction smelter to help get rich slag. For Forestry Moisteners you can also use cobble in place of seeds and get Moss Stone.

Edit: Also, what's the recipe for cobble > netherrack in the soul forge?

Another Edit: Also, if we do end up with Ars Magica in the pack, you can use cobble to make energy via those obelisk thingies.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Soul forge uses corrupted essence. Which is Vile Dust + Glowstone Dust. Vile DUst is smelted Soul Sand. 8 netherrak from 1 corrupted essence. Not worth it in the long run I think, but maybe really early on. You can also smelt stone bricks into nether brick in it. I would just save it for Soul Shards and Vile Ingots myself.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
edit: fixed a derp.

Personally, I like feeding cobble to a rock crusher (from railcraft), then feeding the resulting gravel back into it (or to a second rock crusher). The rock crusher has a chance when crushing rock gravel to find gold or diamonds. It will produce sand from crushing gravel. The sand can be output to a myriad of uses. If nothing else, you can feed the useless/extra output to make scrap. Then either feed a mass fab with them, or feed into an auto crafting table to make scrap boxes. Scrap boxes to a dispenser or deployer will make a random item from the scrap box with an additional chance for something nice.. :)

Reactions: whythisname

Lonewolf187

Jul 29, 2019
all of those plus the basic vanilla one... castles.... lots of castles :p

That goes with out saying, however running quaries and miners and mining turtles you are going to end up with more cobblestone then you can use. I kind of wish the condenser from EE2 was still in EE. It was a grteat way of getting rid of all that cobble and using it to get something usefull. (The condenser only, not the collectors)

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
That goes with out saying, however running quaries and miners and mining turtles you are going to end up with more cobblestone then you can use.

Not really. There are tons of recipes that use cobble.

Cobble to sand which is then turned into glass or sandstone. The Sand or Glass can also be used to make Stained Glass.
Cobble to smoothstone which is then turned into stone bricks which can be changed around to the various different stone brick types with a minium stone.
A couple of different ways to turn cobble into mossy cobble.

Cobble and 2 Phosphor in a squeezer makes lava.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Some possible results from cobblestone:

Sand and Gravel from Pulverizer

Sand can further be turned into Glass, or it can be turned into Sandstone

Sandstone can be Pulverized with a 10% chance of Niter.

Niter can be Pulverized into 2x Saltpeter, or combined with Coal/Charcoal + Sulfur to make Gunpowder

Sand + Saltpeter = 2x Fertilizer (forestry)

2x Saltpeter + 1x Charcoal Dust + 1x Sulfur = 2x Gunpowder

Saltpeter + Sand = 2x Fertilizer (forestry), making this a product you can make exclusively from cobblestone

Reactions: Zmaster27

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
I usually let all the surplus cobble+dirt from my quarries go to ic2 recyclers producing scrap. While my massfab is not running, I pipe the scrap into into a setup that I call "Scrap-Roulette": ACT(Scrapbox) --> Deployer --> Obsidian Pipe --> Filtered through diamond pipes: The usefull stuff goes into my sorting system, minecarts + golden helmets go into a blue alloy furnace and the resulting ingots again into the sorting system, the useless stuff like wooden tools and such go back to the recycler.
It's not very hard to set up and you get a nice free supply of things like cake, glowstone dust, grass blocks, etc... Even a diamond frome time to time...

Reactions: Zmaster27

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
Also, you can use a peat bog (forestry) to convert sand to dirt (simplest way is 4 dirt + 4 sand + water -> 6 bog earth -> 6 peat + 6 dirt, but if you're willing to put extra resources into it you can get 8 peat + 8 dirt instead; either way you wind up with more dirt and less sand than you started with), so cobble -> sand -> dirt is another possible path.
From there you could put the dirt in an industrial centrifuge (GT) to get sand, clay, and plant matter. You could turn the plant matter into biomass in a fermenter (forestry) for energy (or, the non-compressed plant balls could get ground up into more dirt), put the sand back into the peat bog to get more dirt, and grind the clay into clay dust in a macerator (IC2) and put the clay dust in an industrial electrolyzer (GT) to get lithium, aluminium, silicon, and sodium (I like to make lithium batteries out of clay to make MFEs and the like with, although I don't generally get the clay in this roundabout fashion). So, with a little dirt to kick-start the process, you could make lithium batteries entirely out of cobble. I hate to think about the inefficiency involved, though.

Edit - almost entirely from cobble, there are metals involved - but you can get those from cobble by turning it to lava, and I'm so used to not counting water in recipes since it's free and infinite that I just glossed over it, but you do need rubber to insulate the wires. Come to think of it, since you can get iron from cobble by turning it to lava, then obsidian, then pulverizing (or twice-macerating) it, then putting it through an industrial electrolyzer, you can make an MFE from cobble + water + rubber.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
With thaumcraft, cobble can be used to manufacture gunpowder and nitor (which is fuel, worth the same as coal coke).
(you need a renewable source of fire- such as a blaze shard.)
Its unfortunate you can't right click a crucible with a wand+deployer.​
Once you get Alembics, you no longer need to. Just put four alembics on the crucible, dump in no more than four aspects at a time, collect in warded jars, and store them in proximity to your multiblock thingy. At that point, you should only need to touch your cauldron when you need to refill your jars.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I do like the rock crusher solution personally, and in bases with excess of buildcraft power I usually make 1 or 2 that can deal with excess cobblestone. For recipes that actually require a steady flow of cobble (think cobble->sand->bog earth) I usually set up an igneous extruder and attach it to the system where required.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I do like the rock crusher solution personally, and in bases with excess of buildcraft power I usually make 1 or 2 that can deal with excess cobblestone. For recipes that actually require a steady flow of cobble (think cobble->sand->bog earth) I usually set up an igneous extruder and attach it to the system where required.
Oh, right, with a Rock Crusher yo have a less than 1% chance of getting a diamond from processing.... was it sand? Might be worth it.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, right, with a Rock Crusher yo have a less than 1% chance of getting a diamond from processing.... was it sand? Might be worth it.
Cobble into crusher = gravel. Gravel into crusher = sand and around 1% chance of gold nugget with around 0.01% chance of diamond. Not a bad machine to have running on max input constantly.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Cobble into crusher = gravel. Gravel into crusher = sand and around 1% chance of gold nugget with around 0.01% chance of diamond. Not a bad machine to have running on max input constantly.
That was it! Thanks.

I haven't played around much with Rock Crushers, since Pulverizers and Macerators are a less expensive option. However, for later-game, this might be a way to deal with your cobble in a way that at least has a chance to pay itself back. Not very rapidly, of course, but you can do other things besides gravel -> stuff in it as well.

The obsidian gravel stuff is pretty good filler for blast-resistant fill in any project where you're wanting a solid foundation and using the gravity-based properties to sink it down into lava (such as a nether construction project). Makes a great railbed for the advanced rails.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
When I start to get more cobble than I really need I like to just go to the nearby village(s) and start "upgrading" them.

You know, add some extra buildings, upgrade old ones.
(Like add a floor or two/ expand the building's size.)

Make a "hotel" to increase population.
(Large/ tall building with tons of small cubed rooms and such.)

If I still have much to spare after upgrading the village/ town, I tend to make a bunch of cobblestone wall and close-off the place.
(Maybe a layer or two of cobble under the wall first, for looks and extra protection.)

After that I may even start building gates and such, maybe start making a castle to rule said town! ;)

Then if I'm done with all that I'll start turning it into smooth stone and start working on the town's underground area, you know, adding basements, a sewage system (which is mainly just to get around quickly with a boat.) maybe even a subway if I've found a mine and gathered enough tracks. xD

Its always fun (for me) to work on villages when i don't have much else to do and/ or have too many materials to spare, SPECIALLY cobble, so that's usually what I do with it.
(Yet again, I have many mods for more/new/ custom/ better NPCs, so I suppose that's extra incentive for me to do all that stuff. :p)