Unloading Spawn chunks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Nip

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to unload the chunks around spawn? Opis is showing a 25x25 area loaded centered on spawn.
Also is there a way to reduce the amount of chunks loaded by a player at all times?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to unload the chunks around spawn? Opis is showing a 25x25 area loaded centered on spawn.
Also is there a way to reduce the amount of chunks loaded by a player at all times?

1. no
2.a. edit the view-distance parameter in server.properties
2.b. edit "forgeChunkLoading.cfg" to reduce the number of chunkloading tickets forge makes available to chunkloaders, per player.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
However, there are ways (with mcedit I think) to actually move the world spawn. So you can probably do it that way.

Nip

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you. We built spawn at another place than the actual spawn so i think im going to try to move the player spawn with McEdit.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Thank you. We built spawn at another place than the actual spawn so i think im going to try to move the player spawn with McEdit.

Player spawn is not server spawn. Moving player spawn will be like sleeping in a bed. Moving the server spawn will move what chunks are loaded (hopefully).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As far as I can remember from reading up on it earlier, the spawn chunks "chunkloading" is not similar to what you would normally think of as "chunkloading". It does not work it the same was a for example a player or a placed chunkloader keeps the area active for example. Certain things are processed while other things are not, which can lead to some "interesting" things.

So in my opinion you wont really gain anything from moving the spawn chunks. Maybe even quite the contrary.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
/setworldspawn from the console changes the world spawn and hence spawn chunks.

Spawn chunks are loaded and ticking but are not given 'random' ticks. This means (for example) that items in spawn chunks will be moved by water. Will despawn after 5 minutes. Etc. But crops and trees will not grow, leaf blocks will not despawn.

This makes spawn chunks a dangerous substitute for a chunk loader if you are intensing to power your base off of biofuel or charcoal as all your machines in spawn chunks will continue to consume power but without crop and tree growth the power system is starved of inputs.

Systems that force grow crops/trees using magic or power might be able to get growth despite the lack of vanilla random ticks. No promises.

Reactions: rhn