Mac Trying to decide between unleashed and monster

Iestyn

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Currently I'm running the monster mod pack on my server. I'm going to hopefully get quite a few people on my server and I was concerned to hear that this mod pack may cause issues for people with a 32 bit operating system, I'm not sure if that means 32 bit computers or servers. I doubt all my players will have a 64 bit operating system so I'm not sure which mod pack to start out on.

My current decision is between unleashed and monster. If I start building on a monster server is it possible to convert that monster to an unleashed world if my players start to have issues?

Is the monster mod pack only for 64 bit because of bugs? I'm trying to figure out why a mod pack would only be available for 64 bit operating systems. I've also heard that it uses a lot of resources so I'm confused and not sure which mod pack to start on :( Is it just best to start on an unleashed world then upgrade when monster it less buggy?

Please bare with me I'm pretty new to FTB :)

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
In simple terms the 1.6.4 packs require a 64 bit os because they require a 64 bit java. Using a 32 bit os limits the amount of ram available to the launcher to 1.5gb. The new packs require a miniumu of 2gb to run.

While it maybe possible to go back to 1.5.2 I would not recommend it because the mods from both packs are very different. They do have similar tech mods like Thermal Expansion, IC2 etc but very different versions.

I would find out what operating systems the people that will play on it have. In this day people should not be using a 32 bit os any more unless they have xp or buy branded systems e.g Dell, HP etc.

Reactions: Iestyn

Iestyn

Jul 29, 2019
In simple terms the 1.6.4 packs require a 64 bit os because they require a 64 bit java. Using a 32 bit os limits the amount of ram available to the launcher to 1.5gb. The new packs require a miniumu of 2gb to run.

While it maybe possible to go back to 1.5.2 I would not recommend it because the mods from both packs are very different. They do have similar tech mods like Thermal Expansion, IC2 etc but very different versions.

I would find out what operating systems the people that will play on it have. In this day people should not be using a 32 bit os any more unless they have xp or buy branded systems e.g Dell, HP etc.

Most of my friends will use OSX or Vista upwards. I'm guessing they'll be 64bit? I haven't been around or used Windows since early 2009. I'm worries about starting up a Monster incase we have any issues, so you recommend starting on unleashed and upgrading in future? I've got a few players lined up to play straight when the server is up and running but I'll hopefully get some more players down the line and I'm sure they'll be using Vista upwards.

I'm running on OSX mavericks and even though I'm getting no lag, I've set the launcher to use 7gb out of a possible 8gb and I'm still only getting 40-50fps and it makes me wonder if I'm only getting 40-50fps it makes me wonder that people on Windows may have more issues, I've got no clue which one to go for now :(

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Most of my friends will use OSX or Vista upwards. I'm guessing they'll be 64bit? I haven't been around or used Windows since early 2009. I'm worries about starting up a Monster incase we have any issues, so you recommend starting on unleashed and upgrading in future? I've got a few players lined up to play straight when the server is up and running but I'll hopefully get some more players down the line and I'm sure they'll be using Vista upwards.

I'm running on OSX mavericks and even though I'm getting no lag, I've set the launcher to use 7gb out of a possible 8gb and I'm still only getting 40-50fps and it makes me wonder if I'm only getting 40-50fps it makes me wonder that people on Windows may have more issues, I've got no clue which one to go for now :(

If the people that are running vista and upwards built their own systems then chances are that they will be using 64 bit systems but could be 32 bit. But if they are shop bought e.g Dell, HP with 4gb of ram or less then they will be most likely 32 bit but it is worth getting them to check.

I would suggest lowering your ram usage to around 5gb max because giving java nearly all your ram will give you problems. You could also try the jvm arguments from here. Copy and paste the text into the additional java parameters box in advanced options.

Unfortunately going from an previous version of minecraft to a newer one will have the same issues for the same reason as downgrading it because of the changes in minecraft and the mods.

When running minecraft from a dedicated server you should find that you will get better performance because the server takes over most of the hard work.

Reactions: Iestyn

Iestyn

Jul 29, 2019
If the people that are running vista and upwards built their own systems then chances are that they will be using 64 bit systems but could be 32 bit. But if they are shop bought e.g Dell, HP with 4gb of ram or less then they will be most likely 32 bit but it is worth getting them to check.

I would suggest lowering your ram usage to around 5gb max because giving java nearly all your ram will give you problems. You could also try the jvm arguments from here. Copy and paste the text into the additional java parameters box in advanced options.

Unfortunately going from an previous version of minecraft to a newer one will have the same issues for the same reason as downgrading it because of the changes in minecraft and the mods.

When running minecraft from a dedicated server you should find that you will get better performance because the server takes over most of the hard work.

I see, so everyone who's on unleashed would have to make a completely new world? That's a shame.

I have a server with creeperhost, the spider package. Yes most of the people will have a windows 7 or above probably come to think of it so they'll be purchased from a shop.

I will lower my ram and check out those jvm arguments.

So based on the information in this thread, would you recommend I keep monster or downgrade to unleashed? I I plan to use social media to reach out to people to play on my sever so I can't really know what OS and what version some of my potential players will be. On one hand, monster has the most mods which sounds appealing but if I go to unleashed I won't be able to upgrade and keep all the builds and will have to create a new world to upgrade to monster.

Thank you so much for your support btw :)