Transporting liquids long distances

samstar

Jul 29, 2019
What is the best way to transport liquid (oil) long distances ? As there is no oil spout near my house.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
There are a few methods some people use. One is just the very long liquid pipe, but in this case it would probably have problems with chunk loading. The other is using liquid transposers and ender chests. What this does is fill any empty bucket with oil, sticks it into and ender chest, takes it out on the other end, empties the bucket via another transposer, and sends the bucket back to restart the loop. The other possibility is setting up a railway and using liquid loaders/unloaders with a tank cart attached to an anchor cart. What this does is as the train moves along the tracks the anchor will keep the chunks around it loaded, making sure the train reaches its destination.

Reactions: samstar

Effervo

Jul 29, 2019
Another option if you have access to crystals and a link book modifier is mystcraft portals with intra age linking books.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I would have mentioned that one as well, but considering the difficulty in getting the crystals (outside of massive amounts of luck or cheating in all the world symbols) and setting up the portal would probably be a fairly large task to accomplish considering what he wants to do, though getting the blaze rods required for the chests are no easy feat either depending on your situation.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
If you get a mystcraft gate going all you should need would be a chunk loader at the pumping site and at the offloading site since the cart would only be traveling to areas with chunk loaders already in them.

samstar

Jul 29, 2019
There are a few methods some people use. One is just the very long liquid pipe, but in this case it would probably have problems with chunk loading. The other is using liquid transposers and ender chests. What this does is fill any empty bucket with oil, sticks it into and ender chest, takes it out on the other end, empties the bucket via another transposer, and sends the bucket back to restart the loop. The other possibility is setting up a railway and using liquid loaders/unloaders with a tank cart attached to an anchor cart. What this does is as the train moves along the tracks the anchor will keep the chunks around it loaded, making sure the train reaches its destination.
If may use the railway set up (as the ender chest system is more annoying without RP2 and the mystcraft intra link isnt craft-able without the item that is really expensive),
once the oil is back to my house which set-up should i use: unloader>tank>refinery>tank>steam boiler or unloader>refinery>tank>steam boiler

Effervo

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using an Unloader> Tank> 3 Refineries> Tank> full size steam boiler + several combustion engines doing various work around the base.

Both the fuel and oil tanks are full 99.9% of the time. For some strange reason the mystcraft world I created has an oil geyser within 150 blocks of the last oil geyser, so I doubt I'll ever run out of oil.

samstar

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using an Unloader> Tank> 3 Refineries> Tank> full size steam boiler + several combustion engines doing various work around the base.

Both the fuel and oil tanks are full 99.9% of the time. For some strange reason the mystcraft world I created has an oil geyser within 150 blocks of the last oil geyser, so I doubt I'll ever run out of oil.
ah ok wasnt sure whether to store the oil before I refine it or just store the fuel post refining, thanks for your help

Effervo

Jul 29, 2019
ah ok wasnt sure whether to store the oil before I refine it or just store the fuel post refining, thanks for your help

If you foresee using or having access to a LOT of oil, it may be good to store the oil before refining it to create a nice buffer for your oil refinery(ies) so that they're constantly running

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much. It's always better to have a surplus and keep your whole system constantly running rather than dealing with self-made bottlenecks because you don't wanna use a few extra resources. Once the ultimate pack or w/e it will be called is out I plan on eventually making tanks for every possible liquid just in case I end up needing a lot at once (currently only dealing with concept builds to keep everything as compact as possible).

Reactions: Antice

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I had the same problem. I used 2 intra-age mystcraft linkbooks and 2 stacks of cells to move my stock of creosote oil. A little bit of manual effort was less than the effort it would take to set up a system to do it for a one-time job. The 8 diamond blocks for the linkbook modifier can be expensive, but so much worth it when you can pick any spot in your world and travel there INSTANTLY for the cost of a book. You also don't need crystal at all like with a portal.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much. It's always better to have a surplus and keep your whole system constantly running rather than dealing with self-made bottlenecks because you don't wanna use a few extra resources. Once the ultimate pack or w/e it will be called is out I plan on eventually making tanks for every possible liquid just in case I end up needing a lot at once (currently only dealing with concept builds to keep everything as compact as possible).

Tank farms filled to the brim with every concievable liquid you might suddenly be jonesing for is pure win imho. And they look cool too.
I always make some kind of overly complex liquid refinery system that is full of pipes, tanks engines and various processing facilities.
The addition of steamcraft boilers and steam engines running on steam are making my builds look even better than ever.