Thoughts on potential new PC?

Blingmagica

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,
I am planning on buying myself a custom gaming PC but I'm pretty new to the world of custom PC's and was hoping for some input from other gamers.
I have a build in mind (link below) which is my top budget build and am looking for input as to whether people think this will likely be good for playing minecraft as well as other, higher end games such as Saints Row 4 and Battlefield 4 and the like when they come out.

Link: http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=190212

I should also specify that i already have a couple of good screens and I'm not too worried about the speakers.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated :)

Gaston

Jul 29, 2019
What's your budget?
Being a computer person that I am, I would say go for a Mac. I have tested with both mac and PCs. As far as I have seen Macs are better.
And yes, you can run the exact same things on a Mac as you would a PC. Even games, and Windows.
If you want extensive chatting you can Pm me.

xBTx

Jul 29, 2019
What's your budget?
Being a computer person that I am, I would say go for a Mac. I have tested with both mac and PCs. As far as I have seen Macs are better.
And yes, you can run the exact same things on a Mac as you would a PC. Even games, and Windows.
If you want extensive chatting you can Pm me.

No.

OP, that is a pretty good computer, especially for the price. You'd be hard pressed to find a mac with (or even close to) the same specs, for a reasonable price.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Get 2 titans and a octa core processor :p
Jokes aside it seems like a fairly good pc idk what your budget is tho,
Also in reply to the other guy: don't get a mac

Gaston

Jul 29, 2019
Lol. I understand why you would say Xbt.
Yes I am partial to Macs, but I did not get them without extensive research on computers.
And I should really say that my dad owns those plus more. I was/am half asleep when I wrote that. Sorry for the confusion. My dad is a web designer, and fix's computers as his job.
We know how each computer works and have gone down to the Macs, the are more reliable and efficient for us. I know the cost seems too much, but for us, it's worth it.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Lol. I understand why you would say Xbt.
Yes I am partial to Macs, but I did not get them without extensive research on computers.
And I should really say that my dad owns those plus more. I was/am half asleep when I wrote that. Sorry for the confusion. My dad is a web designer, and fix's computers as his job.
We know how each computer works and have gone down to the Macs, the are more reliable and efficient for us. I know the cost seems too much, but for us, it's worth it.

I will say the opposite. I'm an IT manager responsible for about 20+ servers and over 700 PCs. I also support iPhone, iPads, Blackberry, and Android devices. By far your absolute best choice is a linux based PC. 2nd to that is a windows based PC. And in last place is any Apple product.

Apple products have a tendency to be VERY proprietary. Every try to setup dynamic DNS on one their Airport routers? Apple deliberately removed that and other features to "Simplify" the device setup. iPhones & iPads are another example of this. No memory expansion via micro SD, can't remove the battery, etc. Very closed minded. They do come out with some innovative stuff sometimes (like the iPhone). But then they sit back and don't do anything new for a long time. Also, they sue anybody that even comes close copying their ideas.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Hey guys,
I am planning on buying myself a custom gaming PC but I'm pretty new to the world of custom PC's and was hoping for some input from other gamers.
I have a build in mind (link below) which is my top budget build and am looking for input as to whether people think this will likely be good for playing minecraft as well as other, higher end games such as Saints Row 4 and Battlefield 4 and the like when they come out.

Link: http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=190212

I should also specify that i already have a couple of good screens and I'm not too worried about the speakers.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated :)

The PC you have in the quote is good. The only thing I would add would be a 2nd standard SATA3 drive for mass storage. This could be added later when needed.

Gaston

Jul 29, 2019
I will say the opposite. I'm an IT manager responsible for about 20+ servers and over 700 PCs. I also support iPhone, iPads, Blackberry, and Android devices. By far your absolute best choice is a linux based PC. 2nd to that is a windows based PC. And in last place is any Apple product.

Apple products have a tendency to be VERY proprietary. Every try to setup dynamic DNS on one their Airport routers? Apple deliberately removed that and other features to "Simplify" the device setup. iPhones & iPads are another example of this. No memory expansion via micro SD, can't remove the battery, etc. Very closed minded. They do come out with some innovative stuff sometimes (like the iPhone). But then they sit back and don't do anything new for a long time. Also, they sue anybody that even comes close copying their ideas.

I have never had problems with anything when I use a Mac. My dad knows what he's doing when it comes to computers. I have seen stuff done on PCs that a Mac can do better. I can't explain as well as my dad, but everything that I have seen done on a PC, a Mac can also do, and do it better, for me at least. Essentially Macs technically are PCs, if you think about it, to an extent.
I am very happy that you did not explode in my face shouting at me as to why you say PCs are better. People tend to do that to me, humans can have very violent tendencies when it comes to what they think they know.

xBTx

Jul 29, 2019
The PC you have in the quote is good. The only thing I would add would be a 2nd standard SATA3 drive for mass storage. This could be added later when needed.

Or alternatively you could drop the ssd, and use an hdd instead. More storage for cheaper, but it is slower. I guess it depends on what the OP needs.

Blingmagica

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, thanks for replying :)

My budget is a maximum of £850, which i should have probably stated more clearly to begin with i guess :S This is an absolute maximum though and this build is only just below that mark.

As for Macs, i have owned both an iMac and a macbook in the past and loved both but im working on a few group projects now and the compatibility issues i was facing were a major pain. Also, i just feel like a change from Macs again to be honest.

I was going for the SSD because i have a 500Gb external hard drive that i am using currently which covers all the storage i am needing at the moment so it seemed logical to get the faster SSD.

Other than that its good to know i havent made any glaring blunders with my first build :D (arguably with the windows i know i know lol)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I was going for the SSD because i have a 500Gb external hard drive that i am using currently which covers all the storage i am needing at the moment so it seemed logical to get the faster SSD.

Good choice on the SSD. It has gotten to the point now with PC hardware that the harddrive can be the biggest bottleneck in the system. So a good fast SSD for the operating system make good sense.

Personally my gaming rig has an SSD for the operating system and a 640GB SATA for the games. I also have a dedicated minecraft server and that also has the same setup. The OS and minecraft run on the SSD and the standard harddrive is used once a night to backup the mindcraft world files.