The Techmaturge's Journal: A Narrative Minecraft Play Diary

WilloftheWay

Jul 29, 2019
(A little something new I am trying out inspired primarily by the following threads:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/fergs-fortified-city.23597/
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/shoop-resonant-rise.23204/
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/world-diary-ftb-light.9583/ )

Day 1 :

I'm huddled in a corner, scribbling on scraps of paper by torchlight. Reduced to this again. Something happened. Something I do not remember, some sort of backlash strong enough to yank me through a rift from my home despite all my wards and protections. I woke in a small clearing in a forest, near to sundown. And immediately it was obvious I was no longer Home. When one walks the rifts as often and for as long as I have, one can recognize worlds by the feel of the ground beneath them and the air around them. This was not a place I'd ever been.

Time was of the essence - lost, alone, in a strange world - so I immediately got moving, gathering some basic materials. Not far from where I awoke there was a poorly hidden chest that I can only assume someone who was planning to do some mining had left. The chest itself was in poor repair, but the contents were still in decent shape, or as decent of a shape as you can expect from poorly crafted simple tools. What did surprise me where a few sets of gloves that looked much like giant mole paws, with claws made of a strange material I am not familiar with. The mole paws appearance is not deceiving as they make digging in dirt or sand incredibly easy and are even useful in cutting wood. I'll have to save a set to take apart later and figure out their making.

Heading east, I spotted a building just before nightfall...

EhvRDTk.jpg

With all the fearsome looking beasts in the area, I did not hesitate, I ran inside.

I could feel the spellwork on the place immediately, but it was next to bare. A chest and a handful of bookshelves which seemed to block some other part of the building. I could hear shuffling, but I could find no way to move the bookcases - everything in this building seems to be held firmly in place with magic of some sort. Except for the lid on the chest...

WD4RA7a.jpg

A staff and a handful of books and scrolls in some language I am not familiar with. Nor can I work out the operation of the staff. And when I tried to call on my old magicks to see if I could break through the wall of bookshelves, I found they did not respond. This is most worrisome. The night here is dark, and full of terrors. Strange monsters skulk about on the dunes and all I can hear is a cacophony of screeches, screams, and squawks. There is some large structure in the distance, but I will not approach it tonight. There are just too many creatures about and I do not know who resides there. Some people are not fond of riftwalkers...

PF5u8tM.png

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
This is more interesting than finding all the books from Ars Magica.
The real reason they seem so interesting is because they add some MC backstory to the game.

WilloftheWay

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! That's actually what I'm trying to do, just a little bit of a story thing. Actually kind of have a bit of an outline in my head. gotta find a village though. Speaking of books, there have been a load of the easily accessible mage towers from Ars Magica around the area I started. So I'm kind of overloaded with them at the moment. First time I've ever played with Ars, so I assume eventually I'll want them, just not sure what they are good for yet. I've been lacking good writing inspiration the last few days, but I'll be posting the next "chapter" soon.