The Night is Darkest Before the Dawn: A Dark Trilogy Playthrough

GreekAnalyzer

Jul 29, 2019

GreekAnalyzer

Jul 29, 2019
So EMT was sadly causing crashes, so I decided to remove it, but I'm going to use the vanilla IC2 and TC4 tools instead.

GreekAnalyzer

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so I had to downgrade to Version 1.0.8 because of a loading bug in 1.1.1. As well, I disabled mob griefing just as a personal preference.
-----Part 2: Mining and Starting Thaumaturgy-----
I find a curious little item as I delve deeper into the earth to find it's riches. To my astonishment, it is a beehive! I wonder how evolution could have adapted these creatures into eating the earth itself for food instead of the nectar of normal bees. I mark it in case they prove to have good traits when I start bee breeding.
nnfPT8P.png

I wore my pickaxe down to mere shards of amethyst, but it is truly worth it. I found many treasures while mining, ranging from simple iron to glistening diamonds and emeralds. I shall start processing this soon.
P1E3kcM.png

I found some berry bushes just outside of my cave. The fresh, juicy fruit is a welcome break from the cold pork I have been eating.
8dtn2QN.png

I now endeavor to start my progress in the magical arts. The first thing any thaumaturge needs is his trusty thaumonomicon, and for that I need leather and paper for the books. I find a small herd of cows clustered under a spruce tree not far from my cave. I slaughter too, to ensure that there is still a breeding pair, but alas I only get enough leather for 2 books.
8dtn2QN.png

However, a quick run back to my cave to fetch some wild barely I harvested so that I might lure them back somehow works as an aphrodisiac. The two cows mate and a calf born shortly afterwards. I was baffled, to tell you the truth, considering that this went against every principle of biology, but I slaughtered one of the breeding pair and I have enough leather for my books.
HPVNeuq.png

The next step is to get paper. Normally, I would flatten papyrus into thin sheets of paper for writing, but I have not found any. Luckily, I find a solution in a pressing machine normally used for compressing soy into tofu, but also can squeeze the pulp out of a log into paper. I next make a simple grindstone system to remove slag from ores before I smelt them, nearly doubling my rate of usable metal from each ore.
yL7fRXk.png

The new grindstone helps refine my iron into a block that has two pistons facing each other. When I crank a mechanism, the two pistons collide, smashing the object held between them. (Note: The presser actually works without player interaction, but I wanted a more plausible explanation).
EzYfayJ.png

I gather some fresh logs and I stick them in the mechanism. It easily crushes the log into paper. I keep working until I have enough paper to make a bookshelf.
ljCWLVP.png

The next step is to make a wand. With the help of my grindstone, I quickly convert some ore into two iron caps. I screw them on a stick, and the basic wand is made.
Sd4XtTe.png

A light tap on the bookshelf, and I have my thauminomocon.
HWZR1Xl.png

--End Journal--

Reactions: Yusunoha

GreekAnalyzer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm now realizing I should have named this "The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors."

---Part 3: The White House and Farming---
I need some ink for my research notes, so several squid in the nearby river fall prey to my sword.
iHdMrPX.png
A strange creature assaults me as I look for feathers for quills: a tiny zombie on a chicken, riding to kill me. The chicken runs surprisingly fast, but my blade catches the zombie and knocks him off of his mount. I behead him, and then slguhter the chicken for his crimes.
iHdMrPX.png
I start scanning the various objects in the world around me. I discover many aspects, but I have not started more in-depth research.
1q0T4WP.png
I stumble upon an aura node. I gladly tap it for the vis and mark it for future purposes.
OxbjbkQ.png
I decide to move out of my cave, and to build a real house. I quarry marble out from a nearby mountain.
YvFuXB3.png
The frame is completed.
YjS0b1c.png
Stone dyed with squid ink provides a nice contrast to the white marble of the frame
33P1elS.png
A stylish pink door completes the house.
QNWtY6P.png
Finally, a farm provides some much needed variety in my diet...
http://i.imgur.com/AgkbIGl.png[/img[/spoiler]
...as well as providing milk and meat in the future with my animals
[spoiler][img]http://i.imgur.com/TPt2V3r.png
--End Entry--
So I wanted to post a map of my area so far:
YcZhEjv.png
Please excuse my horrible Paint skills.
I plan to build a tech lab on the peninsula (marked in light blue) for all my IC2 + TE + EIO machines. I also have plans for a magical library close to my current house. A village is marked, and we'll check that out next time I update, and finally the approximate location of the old cave.