The Arena (WIP forum member based story)

Will you answer yes or no to this question (completely irrelevant)

• Total voters

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I wake up, breathing fast, sweating like a pig. I look around. I’m on the floor of some kind of elevator, going up. It’s quite warm, so that would be why I’m sweating. A voice comes out of a telecom in the wall of the elevator.
“I see you have woken up. Welcome, Jonny, to the arena!” Whoever it was had a very... imperative... voice.
“What?” I shout back at it. “Where the hell am I? Who are you? What is this place? How do you know my name?” No matter how much I shout, it’s useless. The voice does not come back.
I bang my fists in frustration against the wall of the elevator, and shout my head off, asking where the hell I am.
I almost fall through what must have been the elevator door. I stumble out into a sand-filled pit, and I hear people around me, screaming, whooping, cheering my name.
“Jonathan, pandora’s greatest vault hunter!”
It was that same voice again, from the elevator.
“Gabriel, hero of Eternia!”
Well, at least I wasn’t alone in this. Then again, we were in an arena. I wouldn’t want to fight an innocent, who had done nothing I know about.
“Liara, saviour of the universe E-4R1H!”
Whoever these people were, they sounded quite formidable, if they were my foes...
“David, the king of nature!”
Now the names were just getting stupid. King of nature? Who were these people? Why were they here, like me?
“Exedra, greatest fighter of the entire black mesa corporation!”
Black mesa? What kind of company were they? How many of us were there?
“Chocorate, one of the wisest of our time!”
If this was what I thought it was, a fat lot of good being wise would do him...
The crowd cheered seemingly louder every time, erupting with cheering and clapping.
“Vike, the great dragon-slayer!”
“Ladies and gentlemen, these are our fighters! Let the battles begin!”
Suddenly there was an earthquake, and we all started stumbling around, unable to stand up. The arena started, impossibly, shifting and lowering, until it was like we were on a rocky hill. Little cylinders started popping up, and out of them came beasts of all different shapes and sizes. One near me turned around, and facing me was the biggest tiger I had ever seen.
It leaped out, and, by pure instinct, I reached down to my revolver, crouched on one knee, and shot it twice, once in the head, once in the side.
It skidded to a halt, as I stepped out of the way. That creature was from earth, my home planet. I looked around at all the other “fighters”, they seemed to be handling themselves admirably. All of them used different weapons, Liara with some kind of laser gun, Gabriel with a quite large sword, that David guy had some kind of plant wrapping around his enemy, what was it... Grass? I hadn’t seen that since my days on earth, before pandora, when I had been in the military. Exedra had a gun that seemed to throw the beast up in the air, and it then plunged to the ground, where he finished it with a crowbar. That wise one, chocorate, seemed to be using some kind of... magic? I don’t know but I had never seen it before. Even stranger still was vike, he seemed to be simply shouting at whatever he had to kill, freezing it, before he smashed it.
The arena was quiet. The crowd looked like they were cheering us on, but we could not hear them. They had been blocked out somehow.
We all started looking around, at each other, at our surroundings, and at the crowd.
Everyone who had them put away their weapons, as a sign of peace. “Where the hell are we? What is this?” They shouted, like I had in the elevator.
“That was too easy, wasn’t it? Why don’t we crank it up a notch?”
The ground shifted again, and we were in what appeared to be a desert, complete with cacti and shrubs.
I walked up to the nearest person, chocorate, who seemed to have rather a lot of hair.
“Who the hell are you? I asked”
“I think you know that” he responded.
“Well, any idea why we’re here?”
“No, none whatsoever”
“I think I may know” said a voice behind me. I turned round, and it was Gabriel, the one with the sword.”I have heard of this place. People get kidnapped, and taken here, so that they can fight for entertainment.”
“Shit” I say.
“Bring in the mercenaries!”
“Mercenaries?” says Vike?
“We can take them” said Liara, confidently.
Out of more cylinders come men in what look like special forces suits, but they’re far ahead of anything the imperial regime has to offer.
Everyone starts attacking them, while they put up a scarily good fight to us. I put out my sentry turret, and that starts killing a few more, while I snipe a couple of them.
Suddenly Vike lets out a roar of three words, and a group of mercs go flying back, right where David was standing. They are stunned by the shout, and the whole flying-across-the-air process, but they soon recover, and although David tries to kill a couple, they overwhelm him, and he is shot several times all over the body.

I try to feel sad for him, but he hadn’t even spoken. We finish off the mercs, and the crowd dies down for a bit.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Here it is, a bit short, but heck:

I look myself over, just a few bruises and cuts, nothing really. A large rumbling overhead. Spikes spear down at us from the newly-formed ceiling. We have to all jump, as each one of us has their own spike, right above them. They all shatter on the ground, pieces of finely carved obsidian glass, reflecting the light.
A low moan escapes from behind a rock. Someone’s been hit!
I rush over, but there’s only David’s mutilated corpse. I look around more, and, again, a low moan. I feel something grab my leg. I pull out my pistol, turn around, and it’s David, back from the dead. I shoot him in the wrist, and he of course lets go. BUt he tries to bite me, so I kick in his head. That seems to do the trick, and he is no longer back from the dead. Although, what happens when one of us dies? Will we do the same? I suppose, why not?
Another round of obsidian spikes. This time, there is a shout. Chocorate has been hit, in his right arm, and it’s bleeding a lot. I don’t have a first aid kit, nor does anyone by the looks of it. Vike says he knows some kind of healing magic, and it seems to work. But Chocorate has been severely weakened now. Vike agrees to help him move quicker, if there is another volley of strikes.

I hope, for his sake, there won’t be. He wouldn’t survive another time.[DOUBLEPOST=1372291407][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hope I will be back...Or the j will die...

Happy?

Reactions: whizzball1

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
WELL[DOUBLEPOST=1372291803][/DOUBLEPOST]ISN'T[DOUBLEPOST=1372291880][/DOUBLEPOST]THAT[DOUBLEPOST=1372291958][/DOUBLEPOST]A[DOUBLEPOST=1372291992][/DOUBLEPOST]SHAME?

Reactions: fergcraft

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Here's the new update, now featuring Whizzball:

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new fighter!” Said that damn voice. “Whizzball! The fastest girl on two legs!”
A little girl comes out of another elevator, looking very alert. A spike falls towards her, and she moves like a blur, with impossible speed. The spike falls to the ground, nowhere near her, as she’s moved far out of the way. Quite a useful skill here, I thought. She runs over to us, and asks us all the standard questions we all did, and we explain we don’t know.
“Now, the next round!”
Out of some new cylinders come a low moaning, similar to that of David’s corpse. Out step horrific-looking zombies, with limbs fallen off, bits of flesh missing, but no pumping blood.
Against all the rules of any movies that I had ever seen, the zombies start running at us. They notice chocorate as a weak bit of prey, so they go for him and vike first. Vike is able to keep them at bay with his shouts, but they get closer and closer as he runs out of that strange magic. So we advance on the zombies, shooting them and slicing them, although that whizzball isn’t much use, all she does is watch from behind.
The zombies are knocked back by our attacks, but they are not destroyed. I think back to what happened to David, and I realise something.
“Go for the head!” Exedra seemed to be thinking exactly what I was.
We soon manage to kill them all, and gabriel cuts off their heads to be sure. Vike seems exhausted by the attack, so Exedra takes chocorate for a while.
We rest and sit down while we wait for whatever would be next thing thrown at us. However, the arena doesn’t think we need rest, of course. Another earthquake, and the arena becomes a murky swamp. I don’t know what will come at us, but I pray it doesn’t, even if it is hopeless.

A splash by Liara.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
New installment!

Liara shoots into the water, but nothing happens, and suddenly, something grabs her leg, and pulls her under. We rush over to her, and Exedra is first there, pulling with as much force as he can, but she’s slipping from his grip. She’s screaming, “My leg! My leg!”
I try shooting into the water, and the creature loosens its grip. It finally lets go, and several people go flying. The water bubbles hugely, and out comes some kind of swamp monster, a murky green colour, with hundreds of tentacles, lashing out at us. Whizzball is running rings around it, too fast for it to even attack her, so it gives up on the little girl. I shoot at some, but they’re too fast, and I get whipped in the face, drawing blood on a slit it made on my cheek. Another hits me, whipping me from consciousness, as my body topples into the water.
I don’t remember anything other than being yanked out of the water... the feeling of cold on my face... someone fumbling on my belt, where I keep my turret... A feeling of heat as it deploys a small nuclear charge, tearing the swamp creature apart with its bullets and missiles... then blacking out.

I wake up, wet and shivering, but we’re no longer in the swamp. The others had kept me safe, out of the water, saved my life.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, you do know that my name can be Jonathan, because Whizzball makes no sense as an RL name...
EDIT: Oh wait, you are already Jonathan.

Reactions: the_j485

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Do I get included in this story?

Edit: Please call me Soaryn instead of Bella if you . I hate it when people call me that. Or better yet, have that one character that does call me Bella just to piss me off.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought of a few things:
1. My name can be Spirit.
2. Tactical strategy: I circle around a group of opponents until they are herded into a concentrated spot and also heavily dizzied.
You finish them off while I set on the next group!