Switching Modpacks (HELP)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wild Wail

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Mindcrack pack singleplayer world. I want to move my map to the new FTB Ultimate. I was wondering how can I transfer all of my things to the Ultimate Pack? Keeping everything.

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that Ultimate Pack will be compatible with old Modpacks but I am not sure. If this is true, to access new ores/items, you need to load new chunks.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Should be as easy as copying your world folder, from your Mindcrack/Saves folder, into your Ultimate/Saves folder
(if you don't have the Saves folder in the ultimate folder create it or create a new world in ultimate and it will make the folder for you)

All the Item IDs are standardised in FTB so you aren't very likely to lose any items

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, about that...

First, always backup, that never hurts.
Secondly, for some reason, they disabled a few biomes in the Ultimate pack, so it can potentially change what the biomes are and/or create some crazy cliff faces near the newly generated chunks.

I thought it would be good to let you know about that possibility.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, about that...

First, always backup, that never hurts.
Secondly, for some reason, they disabled a few biomes in the Ultimate pack, so it can potentially change what the biomes are and/or create some crazy cliff faces near the newly generated chunks.

I thought it would be good to let you know about that possibility.

Definitely always want a copy but if you copy your world file you will still have a another version in the mindcrack/saves folder
Though its a good idea to keep another copy aside somewhere safe (you can't really have too many backups excepting some extreme number which i won't speculate on)

When you say disable the biomes, if you mean through the config then this will not effect the existing biomes it just won't generate them when it loads new chunks.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Except it will change the biome of the existing chunks.

At least, it will remove the biomes that are supposed not to exist.
That won't change the world gen, but you could end up with snow in a desert, or grass having a different color.

And near the borders, it gets crazier, because if the part already generated is a biome that doesn't exist anymore, the new chunks will have the possibility to generate their own algorithm, based on what should be there, and you can have some crazy nonsense going on.

That's pretty easy to check, just disable all biomes but one, make a new world, save and exit, disable the biome and enable an other one instead.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Except it will change the biome of the existing chunks.

At least, it will remove the biomes that are supposed not to exist.
That won't change the world gen, but you could end up with snow in a desert, or grass having a different color.

And near the borders, it gets crazier, because if the part already generated is a biome that doesn't exist anymore, the new chunks will have the possibility to generate their own algorithm, based on what should be there, and you can have some crazy nonsense going on.

That's pretty easy to check, just disable all biomes but one, make a new world, save and exit, disable the biome and enable an other one instead.

Well, I'm at work so I can't test it now, but I'm willing to take you word for it.
Just didn't think it would do that, is there a list anywhere of the disabled biomes?

Do you know if there's anything else that might be effected by the change?

OP Last time i checked Traincraft is not in ultimate it this so if they decide to stick to that you'll lose oils sands and that other oil block unless you actually made a traincraft train system then you'd lose that too.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, trainscraft was personally requested by the Mindcrack members, it's not something that Slow and the others choose.

Disabled biomes:
Alpine
Extreme jungle
Forested island
Glacier
Green swamp
Ice wasteland
Marsh
Mountain taiga
Rain forest
Redwood forest
Shrubland
Snowy forest
Snowy rain forest
Tundra

As you can see, that is quite a lot, and it includes some of the biomes that are really liked, like the Redwood forest.
Strangely enough, even though the "Marsh" is disabled, I still saw some of the bugged land that it generates.
But that's it from the configs, at least.