Suggestion for minecart bridge on new FTB map

fudge_dragon

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone, I was just watching the the recording of the 'Moar Minecraft' stream, and being a programmer by trade I just can't resist a good logic problem, so when I saw you guys prototyping your bridge design I had to have my own crack at it. I don't know if you arrived at a solution you were happy with (I only 6 hours into the recording), but seeing as I just spent 2 1/2 hours punching red alloy wire I thought I'd share what I arrived at.

First Is what it looks like from the top, I tried to emulate what I'd seen in the stream. The bridge you want to look at is the one furthest away, the closest one was the duel track middle igniter setup, which was easy by comparison

Next is a look at one of the modules, you need one of these for each pair of igniters (which are above the smoothstone blocks hanging down, the smoothstone passes the redstone signal upwards, although any solid block will do.

The black cable carries the signal in one direction, and the white in the other.
The outer cells are null cells, and these just let the signals cross so we can pack it all in tighter. Touching that is the input of the state cell, While this is on it passes the signal along to the non-invert cell in the middle, that passes the signal along to the upper line, that lights both igniters.

These next two images are of the control system at either end, I've used bundled cable to run the signal to the other end, but that could easily be replaced with wireless redstone, decreasing the footprint from 2 y levels to 1

Each side is a mirror of the other side, Directly above the exposed red alloy wire sits a regular detector rail (replace with cart detection method of choice) (I didn't have railcraft available because the only installation I had available when I started doing this was Ironically my FTB world so all rails are vanilla)
Then this feeds into a state cell on one side, which is set to just slightly more than a cart takes to cross the bridge, and an and gate with 1 input disabled (the one on the same side as the state cell) on the other.
This is then connected to a not gate, which receives the input from the state cell on the other side of the bridge, and the output of the and gate is connected to the colour for that direction. What this system is designed to do is stop the fire from triggering in the other direction when the cart reaches the other side of the bridge.

The final images show where the bundled cable meets the main line for its direction, and also a jacketed cable than runs directly underneath the rest of the bridge workings in the middle to carry the timing signal to the other side. This produces a inverse pyramid shaped bridge once everything is covered over, but as I've said this can easily be replaced with wireless redstone, simply stick a transmitter on each state cell, and a receiver on each not gate, then replace the bundled cable running to the detector rail with regular black or white wire depending on the side of the bridge.

Look at, critique, and feel free to use in your own games if you want. Someone might as well as get some use out of those 2 hours.

EDIT: Gah Still cant stop thinking about this

Spotted a small problem with the bridge, after being crossed, crossing in the same direction you just did doesn't work for the length of time it takes you to cross the bridge, it simply ands the signal to the state cell with the inverted signal from the opposite state cell, This prevents the state cell from firing unless the other isn't currently on. This does mean you need a couple of cover strips (I used panel strips here to make them more visible on the screenshot)

Further Edit:

And I've Just got to the comment at 6:54ish about wanting multiple detector rails to allow for variance in cart speed. So im not going to worry about this any more. It was just a little experiment on my part.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
fudge_dragon said:
Hi everyone, I was just watching the the recording of the 'Moar Minecraft' stream, and being a programmer by trade I just can't resist a good logic problem, so when I saw you guys prototyping your bridge design I had to have my own crack at it. I don't know if you arrived at a solution you were happy with (I only 6 hours into the recording), but seeing as I just spent 2 1/2 hours punching red alloy wire I thought I'd share what I arrived at.

First Is what it looks like from the top, I tried to emulate what I'd seen in the stream. The bridge you want to look at is the one furthest away, the closest one was the duel track middle igniter setup, which was easy by comparison

Next is a look at one of the modules, you need one of these for each pair of igniters (which are above the smoothstone blocks hanging down, the smoothstone passes the redstone signal upwards, although any solid block will do.

The black cable carries the signal in one direction, and the white in the other.
The outer cells are null cells, and these just let the signals cross so we can pack it all in tighter. Touching that is the input of the state cell, While this is on it passes the signal along to the non-invert cell in the middle, that passes the signal along to the upper line, that lights both igniters.

These next two images are of the control system at either end, I've used bundled cable to run the signal to the other end, but that could easily be replaced with wireless redstone, decreasing the footprint from 2 y levels to 1

Each side is a mirror of the other side, Directly above the exposed red alloy wire sits a regular detector rail (replace with cart detection method of choice) (I didn't have railcraft available because the only installation I had available when I started doing this was Ironically my FTB world so all rails are vanilla)
Then this feeds into a state cell on one side, which is set to just slightly more than a cart takes to cross the bridge, and an and gate with 1 input disabled (the one on the same side as the state cell) on the other.
This is then connected to a not gate, which receives the input from the state cell on the other side of the bridge, and the output of the and gate is connected to the colour for that direction. What this system is designed to do is stop the fire from triggering in the other direction when the cart reaches the other side of the bridge.

The final images show where the bundled cable meets the main line for its direction, and also a jacketed cable than runs directly underneath the rest of the bridge workings in the middle to carry the timing signal to the other side. This produces a inverse pyramid shaped bridge once everything is covered over, but as I've said this can easily be replaced with wireless redstone, simply stick a transmitter on each state cell, and a receiver on each not gate, then replace the bundled cable running to the detector rail with regular black or white wire depending on the side of the bridge.

Look at, critique, and feel free to use in your own games if you want. Someone might as well as get some use out of those 2 hours.
can you make an version for simple people?
or just explain it in a few words.

fudge_dragon

Jul 29, 2019
Explain it in simple words, that's a tough one, redstone isn't the easiest to explain. The only thing I can suggest is that you look at the pictures.

I've just to to 6:44 on the stream recording anyway, so I know they don't need it any more, but I still think it was a neat piece of redstone work.

Basically Its a bridge with fire that comes on as you ride across it, like they were trying to build on the ftb livestream.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
fudge_dragon said:
Explain it in simple words, that's a tough one, redstone isn't the easiest to explain. The only thing I can suggest is that you look at the pictures.

I've just to to 6:44 on the stream recording anyway, so I know they don't need it any more, but I still think it was a neat piece of redstone work.

Basically Its a bridge with fire that comes on as you ride across it, like they were trying to build on the ftb livestream.
ohh cool, i dont know alot baout logic gates and such.

fudge_dragon

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, it hardly matters now anyway, when I saw the stream I just couldn't resist having a crack at my own solution. I've even modified the system further to fit the final criteria (of being activated by multiple pressure plates), but at that point there are no benefits over the system they arrived at on stream, slightly fancier to look at perhaps, but the whole point of fitting it in 3 blocks wide is so it wouldn't be visible.

Still it was a fun way to spend the evening, I've always enjoyed tinkering with redstone.

MrSphex

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad the bridge won't be implemented (at least from what I gathered from reading a few other posts). It looks very nice though! Nice work :)

fudge_dragon

Jul 29, 2019
As a result of that last question I feel a need to make a disclaimer. "I am not affiliated with the FTB map build team in any way, this was simply a result of watching the recording of one of the FTB Livestreams"

But yes, it is possible to watch most of the broadcasts they do after the fact. If you go to Slowpoke101s twitch.tv channel if you click on the tab underneath the player where it says Videos you get a list of past broadcasts that you can watch. The one I was watching was a 9 hour stream titled "Moar Minecraft"

My bridge was simply my own attempt at what they were trying to achieve during that stream.