[Suggestion] A pack designed for people who have problems such as colour-blindness

Raakuth

Jul 29, 2019
I propose this idea as I recently downloaded the FTB mod pack and I've been enjoying it quite a bit but as I am colourblind find myself not being able to distinguish the ores well and I keep confusing things such as tin with iron. I am suggesting that maybe one of you talented people could create a texture pack that has a noticeable difference between each ore. To do this the textures could be different entirely or a small change in the ore design, whatever provides a clear difference between blocks. Hope someone can help :D

Reactions: Skirty_007

MrYoranimo

Jul 29, 2019
Not that I'm planning on doing this, but I think this is a really cool idea.
Maybe a tip for texture pack makers: something with dots and squares?

Gewitters

Jul 29, 2019
When you say colorblind, do you mean true colorblind as in black and white? Or are you referring to a color deficiency that makes identifying differences in some colors difficult at times?

I am color deficient Red/Green and understand the frustration that comes along with it. There are a couple TP's that I like that aren't as bad as others, but I do find myself mixing different packs together to make things easier to identify, your ore reference is a perfect example. I like the idea that you bring up about changing the image of the different ores instead of just color. That would be a good fix as shape differences are much easier for my eyes to figure out than color. :)

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
In the JohnSmith pack, different types of ores have different shapes, for example, gold and silver are much differently shaped than copper or tin.

Gewitters

Jul 29, 2019
In the JohnSmith pack, different types of ores have different shapes, for example, gold and silver are much differently shaped than copper or tin.
JohnSmith is one of my favorite, and is usually my go to pack. I highly recommend it.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
I have experience with texture packs, do you want me do try to do this? I do not have the time to change every single texture, i just want to change those like wood and ores. What else do you want?

Raakuth

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the offers guys its really nice :). I understand that certain texture packs may have differently shaped ores but I was thinking something similar to default, with a few changes. If you guys want to make support for this and make multiple texture packs you'd be awesome, but I don't want people to go to too much trouble.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking the same, it would be quite simple.

EDIT:

Does this interest you?

S7Wby.png

EDIT2: I am stuck now, I need to know which textures, that i would have to change, any suggestions?

Raakuth

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking the same, it would be quite simple.

EDIT:

Does this interest you?

S7Wby.png

EDIT2: I am stuck now, I need to know which textures, that i would have to change, any suggestions?
Yeah I like them :) and in terms of other ores: things like tin, lead, copper and silver. To me copper seems to look very similar to redstone and lead and silver look really similar too. Tin also looks a lot like iron but I dont think it should need much change as the iron is already changed now :) Maybe change uranium too if possible

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I like them :) and in terms of other ores: things like tin, lead, copper and silver. To me copper seems to look very similar to redstone and lead and silver look really similar too. Tin also looks a lot like iron but I dont think it should need much change as the iron is already changed now :) Maybe change uranium too if possible

What do you think of the ingots?

Zica

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that all of the tools/armor will have to be changed to reflect different styles.

cinebox

Jul 29, 2019
Why not try and add letters? It wont be pretty, but easily recognizable. for example, Tin would have a T, copper would have a C, lapis an L, and so on.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Why not try and add letters? It wont be pretty, but easily recognizable. for example, Tin would have a T, copper would have a C, lapis an L, and so on.

As the author of a texturepack i want to make textures prettey:p

EDIT:
This texturepack can be found at https://dl.dropbox.com/s/qitstitoocpumg2/Colourblindness Pack.zip?dl=1

This texturepack only contains vanilla files and is an alpha.

EDIT2:
Oh wow, i did quite a lot of work today, look what i made:
NKzug.png

This is now in the alpha! What else do you need?

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
FYI: While texturing some GUIs for a different pack, I noticed that the Thermal Expansion mod has an alternate texture skin for their GUIs to accommodate for color blindness. If you haven't seen the mod yet, their interface uses different colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) to designate inputs and outputs for their machines. If you change the config, the mod adds markers (like the faces of a die) to identify the different colors. All you need to do is go to the config file and change graphics.colorblind=false to graphics.colorblind=true.

Reactions: frederikam

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
FYI: While texturing some GUIs for a different pack, I noticed that the Thermal Expansion mod has an alternate texture skin for their GUIs to accommodate for color blindness. If you haven't seen the mod yet, their interface uses different colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) to designate inputs and outputs for their machines. If you change the config, the mod adds markers (like the faces of a die) to identify the different colors. All you need to do is go to the config file and change graphics.colorblind=false to graphics.colorblind=true.

Thanks, I think i can make it so that they are default.

Pokefan151

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind most color-blind people can see the difference between colors like red and blue, but can't see the difference between certain shades of certain colors (they aren't totally color blind). I'm color-blind, and FTB doesn't seem to have the shades that I can't see the difference between.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

EDIT: Didn't see last post date FAIL. Ignore.