Struggling with FPS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerhard

Jul 29, 2019
So, I played FTB a while back when it was Beta Pack A. I play on a crappy Toshiba laptop. It ran just fine on my computer, no issues, had a nice framerate (but I had to play on low settings). Later, the new packs come out and BPA is discontinued. My group of friends and I moved to MindCrack. I took a pretty big hit to my FPS, but it was playable. 20-25, low settings of course. We were excited to upgrade when Ultimate came out, but when I logged into the same world using Ultimate, suddenly my framerate was down to 1-2. It was like watching a slideshow. Clearly unplayable. Now, I don't understand why this is; the upgrade from MindCrack to Ultimate didn't add that many mods and the mods that it did add didn't seem like they should impact my framerate in a negative way. So, sitting in the very same world as before (so no new worldgen and all stuff that existed in previous modpacks - essentially, I was rendering the exact same stuff) the game was rendered unplayable when it was previously 20-25 FPS.

Installing OptiFine standard was a tiny increase in FPS but the game was still unplayable. Is there anything I can do to make FTB Ultimate work? I've heard porting the pack to MultiMC can help, so I'll be trying that, but I really don't understand why, in the exact same world, Mindcrack would function but Ultimate would not.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
When you start up Minecraft, it loads everything to memory. This can cause problems if you have a lot of mods, even if none of the stuff in them is in your world. Also, Minecraft uploads the entire spritesheet to the GPU every tick, which may work for vanilla, but can again cause issues with lots of mods. It could be just these things, which there is no real way to solve, apart from getting a better computer. Some particular mod could also be causing a memory leak, although that is less likely because you are playing on a server.

EDIT: And putting "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" in Options -> Advanced Options -> Additional Java Parameters might help.

Gerhard

Jul 29, 2019
Only a marginal improvement. Jumped up to 4 frames per second!

I believe the laptop's just too crappy to run FTB Ultimate.

AddictifyChris

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed this too :p
On SuperFlat SSP, FTB retro SMP pack (v1), I would get around 40~100 FPS
On SuperFlat SSP, FTB Ultimate Pack, I would get around 10~50 FPS

Me and my cousin played on my server with the Ultimate pack and we get around 5~20 FPS, and it would occasionally drop down to 1~5 FPS.
Note: Both laptops on lowest settings with Optifine.

some specs I found lying around:
-Intel HD graphics family 3000
-4G RAM (3.8G usable)
-Intel Core i5 2.53GHZ

I don't know what else :/

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed this too :p
On SuperFlat SSP, FTB retro SMP pack (v1), I would get around 40~100 FPS
On SuperFlat SSP, FTB Ultimate Pack, I would get around 10~50 FPS

Me and my cousin played on my server with the Ultimate pack and we get around 5~20 FPS, and it would occasionally drop down to 1~5 FPS.
Note: Both laptops on lowest settings with Optifine.

some specs I found lying around:
-Intel HD graphics family 3000
-4G RAM (3.8G usable)
-Intel Core i5 2.53GHZ

I don't know what else :/
Did you read the article?

AddictifyChris

Jul 29, 2019
Did you read the article?
I've tried everything except running the server on a dedicated computer, optimizing video card (I have intel graphics. Don't think I can do much to it), adding java parameters, and taking out mods :p

Would those be the main "helpers"?

simon48xbox

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried the Direwolf pack? It has almost all the mods in ultimate, but it's a LOT less laggy for me.

AddictifyChris

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! On superflat Ultimate, I get around 50~80FPS
With the Direworld pack, I get 100+ :eek:

I listed all the ultimate pack mods, and then crossed off the ones the Direwolf pack had. This was what there was left:
Mine Factory Reloaded
Extra Bees
Tubestuff
Power Crystal Core
Advanced Machines
Advanced Solar Panels
Factorization
Flat Bedrock
Nether Ores
Petrogen
Power Converters
Gregtech
Immibis Core
InvTweaks
Voxel Pack
Twilight Forest
BiblioCraft
Charge Pads
EE3
Secret Rooms Mod

I guess getting rid of all those would reduce the lag :l
P.S, On the launcher, DW20 pack had Compact Solars, while Ultimate had Advanced Solars

simon48xbox

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! On superflat Ultimate, I get around 50~80FPS
With the Direworld pack, I get 100+ :eek:

I listed all the ultimate pack mods, and then crossed off the ones the Direwolf pack had. This was what there was left:
Mine Factory Reloaded
Extra Bees
Tubestuff
Power Crystal Core
Advanced Machines
Advanced Solar Panels
Factorization
Flat Bedrock
Nether Ores
Petrogen
Power Converters
Gregtech
Immibis Core
InvTweaks
Voxel Pack
Twilight Forest
BiblioCraft
Charge Pads
EE3
Secret Rooms Mod

I guess getting rid of all those would reduce the lag :l
P.S, On the launcher, DW20 pack had Compact Solars, while Ultimate had Advanced Solars

I don't know where you're getting this info from but, from my install/the list in the launcher I got.

From your list the Direwolf pack has:
Extra Bees
Factorization
Compact Solars (an equivalent to Advanced Solar Panels)
InvTweaks
Twilight Forest
Charge Pads
EE3

I might've missed one or two as well.

So you're really not missing that much at all and there could be a few things in Direwolf that isn't the ultimate pack. You can look at this list for a comparison of all the packs. You can always add specific mods that you want yourself that are included.

AddictifyChris

Jul 29, 2019
Hm I was looking off the launcher too o-o

I think I have an outdated launcher :p
Either way, that's still over 10 mods not included

I was playing around in the flat world and somehow brought it down to 4 FPS T-T
I think it was the Rombust Twilight Tree I grew...

simon48xbox

Jul 29, 2019
Hm I was looking off the launcher too o-o

I think I have an outdated launcher :p
Either way, that's still over 10 mods not included

I was playing around in the flat world and somehow brought it down to 4 FPS T-T
I think it was the Rombust Twilight Tree I grew...
Well, some of the mods left don't have any world gen. If you're really set on having everything you could add the world gen mods to the Direwolf pack and see if your FPS is still good. Then later down the road, if you want one of the other mods that doesn't have world gen you can add it in. Have you tried using Optifine?

AddictifyChris

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, no :p

What's the difference between the 3 different types? I always get one with multi-core, like Ultra, because I got a quad-core (still very slow :(), and it sounds like it would help the most :3

simon48xbox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not exactly sure what the differences and still of course no guarantees that it helps. In the Direwolf pack I get no performance boost and I have worse stability and bad texture bugs all over the place so I don't use it myself (I am realizing I haven't tried Standard);) , but it works for some people. I would go with either Ultra or Standard I'd definitely try Ultra first. Light is not compatible with Forge so you only have two additions to try. Have you tried setting the graphics to fast? It is a bit of a visual drop, but you get used to it pretty quick and it does give you a pretty good speed boost (and really who plays Minecraft for graphics :p).

JTF98

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone help me please? I get 10 fps in the ultimate pack with optifine installed. If you need specs here you go:
Processor: Intel core i7-3630QM CPU 3.40GHz
Installed memory: 24.0GB (23.9 usable)
system type: 64 bit windows 7 ultimate.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone help me please? I get 10 fps in the ultimate pack with optifine installed. If you need specs here you go:
Processor: Intel core i7-3630QM CPU 3.40GHz
Installed memory: 24.0GB (23.9 usable)
system type: 64 bit windows 7 ultimate.
Read the suggestions already posted in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.