Problem Strange Issue getting one particular friend to join Direwolf20 1.16 server

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Thrawn

May 6, 2022
Hello all!

This is my first post, but I've been enjoying FTB modpacks for some time. I hope someone can help with a rather specific issue I'm having (and all the strange caveats that go with it).

TLDR; I have a Direwolf20 1.16 hamachi server a number of friends are joining just fine. Port forwarding is a no-go since I can't control the router > internet ports. One friend can join a vanilla hamachi server fine, but not the FTB server. They can see the server fine, but it either disconnects or "forcibly closes connection" when they try joining. Help? Thanks!

So, I set up a Direwolf20 1.16 server for a friend group. Locally run, I'm basically sitting on top of the machine. So far, it ran fine for everyone, until I tried to get one friend to join. No one else is local or anything, it is all over the internet, so assume this server is isolated from direct connections save my personal machine.

So the core issue is: one friend out of 6 cannot join. Always gets either a disconnected or "forcibly closed" error when they try to join the server.

I'm not trying to be stubborn, but trust me when I say I've tried just about *everything* that is out there for fixing these kinds of errors, and it doesn't mesh with other friends capable of joining. The larger mystery is that they can join a vanilla LAN server just fine. And that is where the caveats start coming in...

This is a Hamachi server. Don't ask why, I've heard "just port forward", trust me when I say that is a nightmarish proposition when it turns out my router sits behind several other routers and I only can control 2 of them. That still wouldn't explain why only this one person is having trouble joining despite a vanilla connection going smoothly. So, just wanted to nip that proposition in the bud. I tried port-forwarding, and on a simple router > router > internet sure. But this is like... a spiderweb of routers apparently...

Anyways! I've made all the various minecraft/java exceptions on the firewall, and I've done various esoteric things that supposedly would help. And nothing seems to allow this one person to join... So I normally would put the blame on their end, but they can join that vanilla server after quite a bit of messing around. Imagine the frustration when they STILL couldn't join the Direwolf server.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to try. I'm having them reinstall and try again, but it seems like the issue isn't with Hamachi or the server machine settings since they CAN join a vanilla server (which naturally includes their ability to put in the right IP/ port info). It has me thinking the issue is either specifically with some server setting that is bothering this one person, or something to do with the FTB settings. Any suggestions, because I'm about burned out...

Thanks!

-Thrawn

Edit: I have installed the randompatches into the mods folder. While it DID seem to help some things, it didn't allow them to connect still.

Edit2: There isn't a error on the server log, just a "info" log when they joined and got disconnected:

[03:10:30] [User Authenticator #1/INFO] [minecraft/ServerLoginNetHandler]: UUID of player NAME is VALUE
[03:10:50] [Server thread/INFO] [minecraft/ServerLoginNetHandler]: com.mojang.authlib.GameProfile@NUMBER,name=NAME,properties={textures=[com.mojang.authlib.properties.Property@NUMBER]},legacy=false] (/IPWITHPORT) lost connection: Disconnected

Last edited: