Star Citizen

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I can't tell the difference between the first and the second video. Not entirely sure whether I should be scared or not.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing can unseat EvE it is basicly Space WoW in that its core user base is to invested to leave anytime soon.

But I am really looking forward to Star Citizen just not looking forward to the masive upgrade my PC will most likely need to play it.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I'm a backer on this and am certainly looking forward to it. It's gotten a phenomenal response from the community. Personally I've been missing my space dog fights and exploration.

Eve never really satisfied my gaming needs.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I backed this last year when it was on kickstarter... it had what was probably the best crowdfunding pitch I've ever seen, even to date. I sent them this comment along with it: "I do not think you will be able to succeed in delivering what you promise. But I am backing this purely because I think that you should succeed."

There's a ridiculous amount of hype surrounding the title, and I'm not entirely sure that Mr. Roberts is doing his expectation management all that well. I am also wary of the continued "crowdfunding" route the title has taken, where they basically offer whatever ingame ship they most recently finished up for grabs for money. I mean sure, nobody is forced to buy these things, and a lot of those who do probably do so mostly because they wish to support development and not because of irrational collect-them-all OCD. But on the other hand, it does smell a bit like launching a cash shop before the game even hits alpha. And I worry that a lot of the people who buy all the content up front will leave the game relatively quickly after launch because they have nothing to achieve, no reason to play - they already own everything.

Myself, I am ignoring it almost completely, despite the elevated privileges that come with being an original backer. I've not downloaded the hangar module, I probably won't play the dogfighting module or any other preview either, and I most definitely won't be buying any content. I much rather receive a finished product in one or two year's time and enter it fresh and unspoiled.

And the part I am most looking forward to is the singleplayer campaign. Online multiplayer is nice and all - I played EVE myself for years (and no, Star Citizen will not compete with EVE for an audience) - but dammit, I want another Freelancer experience!

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, I am a backer myself, did it aswell during the Kickstarter campaign last year. I hope that Star Citizen will be good, but with each new million dollar funded and milestone goal reached, I doubt that Chris Roberts and his team will be able to do everything they promised to add.

I downloaded the hangar module, but ingame, I had some texture glitches. Well, it was to be expected, since I didn't even meet the minimum system requirements for it. :D

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I personally am confident that SC will be successful precisely because of the support it is getting. We don't have to fear that they will run out of money anymore; it just keeps rolling in (a couple million raised in the last week, for example). Their stated goal is to make a game of AAA quality, and with every million, they can afford more and more of the resources to develop such a title. Additionally, they continue to show us a 30-minute Wingman's Hangar every week, showcasing the events of the week and speaking with developers and artists and technicians. From the interviews you can really tell that they are hiring good people. Furthermore, with almost daily content updates on their website, such as concept art, or background stories, or actual models in development, you can tell they are making real progress. And regarding the fears of feature creep--I'm worried about it too--Chris Roberts has acknowledged that in the latest stretch goals. They will be toning them down from now on.

I think if you were to visit the site once or twice a month and watch a few Wingman's Hangar episodes, it would boost your confidence too. But, Omicron, I definitely respect your hands-off stance, too; for you, 2015 will be right around the corner and your pledge will have paid off, or it will not have paid off. For me, I guess you could say it's like watching the seconds on the clock go by; it's torture! :D

PS: Can't wait for the dog-fighting alpha.