Space Energy

quotis

Jul 29, 2019
This is wierd for a first post, but here goes...

I finished a Java course in uni and I really really like the language so I started dicking around with Forge and built a few small mods just to see how the thing works.
And today I got a neat idea for power transfer (RF from TE) - sattelites. Kind of like that mod in Kerbal Space program with wireless energy. You would have big "sattelite dishes" and sattelites in the sky (not actual objects, just virtual satellites) that you would launch allowing you to transfer energy wirelessly that way (meant for longer distances, like between bases or between a base and a machine that requires power).

I know that there are tesseracts and things just for that but I think it would be cool to do it this way and I don't thinks it's been done before.

My question is: Is this feasible and, above all, useful?? I want to build something that people would actually have an incentive to use, and I think it would be cool. Would it??

Thanks for all replies if they shall come.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Like you said tesseracts (being simple, loss-free and not too expensive) kinda make it obsolete

Limitations that your system would have is loss of energy, needing the dish to see the sky, (possibly) only working in a single dimension and managing the satellite network

Reactions: quotis

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say it's certainly feasible. You'd just need to make a controller block and then have a way to store virtual satellite data, then pull power out of that and also some other wireless receiver.

I'm not sure how similar it is to your idea, but I suggest that you check out Quantum Flux before you start, just in case. :)

Reactions: quotis

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I like this idea. Have it so that power isn't so lossy if the transmission receptacle is up on a mountain (or sufficiently high enough.) Multi-block construction might be a higher form of MC code, but would be fabulous for big dishes if you can do it.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

quotis

Jul 29, 2019
I like this idea. Have it so that power isn't so lossy if the transmission receptacle is up on a mountain (or sufficiently high enough.) Multi-block construction might be a higher form of MC code, but would be fabulous for big dishe

s if you can do it.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Yes, my plan exactly... I think I can pull of multiblocks and to variate the amount of loss depending on the height, but I was thinking up to 5 or 6 percent only because there are vastly more efficient ways to transfer energy (tesseracts). I'm just making this for awesomeness and looks.

I'd say it's certainly feasible. You'd just need to make a controller block and then have a way to store virtual satellite data, then pull power out of that and also some other wireless receiver.

I'm not sure how similar it is to your idea, but I suggest that you check out Quantum Flux before you start, just in case. :)

Yes I was thinking some kind of virtual entity to represent the sattelite and dishes for receivers and transmitters - I need to look through RF API.

As for Quantum Flux - well it's similar (the wireless transfer) but I really like the idea of a satellite network - it would look very very nice.

So the general consensus is it should be done?? Awesome. I wanted to check because I wouldn't like spending a whole bunch of hours making something no one would ever use.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry about tesseracts making your system obsolete; if it's cool enough, people will use it anyway for the cool factor, and server owners might disable tesseracts.

(Also, the only way to realistically compete with tesseracts is to make something even more boring than tesseracts)

Last edited:

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I like the idea of broadcast power. Immibis is right - Tesseracts are a "been there done that" and having something new a novel would be cool especially if it makes a build nice. A further example is Immersive Engineering. Though it has machines/wiring that duplicate functionality of other mods, it looks damn cool. To be fair I am a fan of the old time power poles and insulators so they have me with that as well. :)

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Seotinach

Jul 29, 2019
Given the increasing prevalence of space-themed mod packs, this mod would see plenty of use with that alone. I'm not sure if I'd use this constantly - the idea that the satellite could transmit the energy through layers and layers or solid material makes using this in underground bases kind of off, for example - but it'd really fun to use in playthroughs that are extremely theme-focused. So another +1. =D

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Just do it anyway, this isn't a money making venture that you are intending to live off.
It's a hobby/ learning opportunity.
Also try not to base your decisions on the popular public packs. All you will end up with is either a sub par or stupidly OP mod.
Never underestimate the niche, never underestimate the alternative scene.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk