Slow Chunk Rendering

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Tim Cosgrove

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all- I'm running a Direwolf20 FTB Server. We're having somewhat bad problems with chunks not loading. We have the usual chunks filling in in the distance - it's part of the Minecraft experience, right? - but we'll also have chunks failing to fill in even when we're over them, so you get that effect where you can see down into the cave system as you walk/jetpack over them. Sometimes I will be sitting about 2 chunks away and can stare at a group of chunks which will not load even when I face in that direction for a good minute or so.

Here's info about our setup:
  • Running Direwolf20 server, latest. All clients and server up-to-date. Nothing extra added in (except Ticks Per Second, this evening; no noticeable performance change from that)
  • Java version: 1.6.0_37
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.6 GHz (Macbook Pro, 2008; Penryn, model T9500). 2 cores, 2 threads
  • RAM: 4GB DDR2 667 MHz. We typically allocate 2GB of that to the server.
  • Harddrive is spinning rust, 7200 rpm
  • Network upload avgs about 7.5 Mbps. The laptop is connected via ethernet cable.
  • Not sure if the graphics card is relevant for the server, but: GeForce 8600M GT, 512MB VRAM
  • We have 3 players max. Typically 1-2 online ever.
  • Command to launch:
    Code:
    java -server -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xmx2048M -jar direwolf20.jar nogui
  • We're not running any Mystcraft ages currently, just Overworld and Nether. Haven't hit The End yet.
  • Ticks Per Second (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1548779-1476-ticks-per-second-v0411/) reports 20 TPS for both the Nether and the Overworld.
  • I tried running TickThreading (https://github.com/nallar/TickThreading/blob/master/INSTALL.md) which was ... not good. I don't think ticks is the problem really.
  • I should say that there is no other obvious lag - no block lag, no chest opening lag or inventory interaction. Mostly the game performs fine, apart from the chunk loading.
  • The chunk problem is worst in our base area. The 3 of us have built relatively close to each other, covering probably roughly 12x12 chunks square. I'm running the power and machines, but they're not terribly active unless we have a quarry running. One friend is doing a lot of Forestry stuff (bees and also farms); the other friend is doing a fair bit with Thaumcraft, including using golems.
  • It is better away from our base but still not really good at all.
  • We have a fair amount of passive mobs in farms (sheep, cows, chickens). Not thousands, but our local E: listing is typically N/170 or so. I did try killing all the passive mobs; this didn't help anything.
  • We don't have a lot extra chunk loaded on the server. Basically the quarry does 16 - 25 or so depending on its size, and we have another on a mob grinder which is loading 9 chunks. Otherwise, it's just our spawns.
  • This doesn't seem to be connected to our bandwidth speeds or computer power. We have a range of laptops running the client, including a very new Macbook Pro. Our bandwidth is good, generally.
I'm just looking for any advice, from server config, to things to look out for (do we have too much running water, should we avoid certain blocks/mods, that sort of thing), anything. Happy to provide any more information that I can.
Thanks!

SFF2000

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I dont know much so sorry if none of this helps, but there is a new java out, see if downloading it helps. http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp Java 7.

Also try allocating more ram to the server if you can.

And activate AdvancedOpenG for each of you, its in the video settings of minecraft. Hope any of this helps.

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
DONT USE JAVA 7 much more resource intensive on your server. I also have this problem and my server has pretty decent hardware

BuzZBladE

Jul 29, 2019
The issue here is client side. There is nothing wrong with the server those chunks are still valid. However they are getting corrupt somewhere when rendering on the client. I think this is a bug in mc 1.4.6 not the mods. You are seeing 5-6 chunks in a straight line missing on your client correct? Walk until it's not visual on rei's minimap and walk back it should have corrected itself. Or re-log for instant client side refreshing of those chunks. This also happens on my Win7 64-bit client. Even with the Server running on the same machine

Tim Cosgrove

Jul 29, 2019
The issue here is client side. There is nothing wrong with the server those chunks are still valid. However they are getting corrupt somewhere when rendering on the client. I think this is a bug in mc 1.4.6 not the mods. You are seeing 5-6 chunks in a straight line missing on your client correct? Walk until it's not visual on rei's minimap and walk back it should have corrected itself. Or re-log for instant client side refreshing of those chunks. This also happens on my Win7 64-bit client. Even with the Server running on the same machine

No, this is different. We are also seeing the line of missing chunks; when that happens, I tend to find that the chunks are actually impassible, and that as you say, logging out/in tends to tak care of it.

This problem I'm posting about is more or less strictly visual; you can see items on the chunks (mobs, moving water and lava) and if you look down you can see the shape of the cave system below; but the actual terrain of the chunk takes longer than normal to load.

SFF2000

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't noticed any problems with Java 7, however cant say that I have used java 6 for a server :)