Solved Server lockup

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Fosheze

Jul 29, 2019
Server Specs
Windows 7 - 64 bit
6GB RAM (4 dedicated to server)
Pentium Dual core E5400 2.7GHz

FTB Version : Mindcrack 1.4.6

Problem
I have been running a FTB server for a couple weeks now with no problems but, today while playing on my server a creeper blew up my filler running off of a redstone energy cell and when I replaced the filler it appeared that the server crashed and sure enough I got an end of stream. When I went to restart the server the console was still up and appeared to be running as it was tracking CPU and RAM use yet but I could not connect to it. When I tried to enter any command the console would not respond in any way but it had not crashed and there were no errors on the screen, it simply wouldn't do anything when I typed in a command. I closed the server by pushing the X button and it closed fine without any not responding message. I started the server up again and it appeared to run fine; before i joined I could enter commands on the console just fine and there was no sign that it wasn't working correctly. when I joined the same thing happened however; the server could not be connected to and commands entered on the console did nothing. There is no crash log as the server never officially crashed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Update I'm guessing that the map is the problem because when I created a new map it worked just fine.
If anyone knows a way to rescue the old map that would be wonderful though.

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
if you still have the world folder you can just place it back where your server directory is to replace the world

Fosheze

Jul 29, 2019
if you still have the world folder you can just place it back where your server directory is to replace the world
I've tried but when I do the server screws up again. The world is what is causing it. I just want to know if there is a way to fix the world so that it doesn't cause the server to screw up.

BuzZBladE

Jul 29, 2019
I had this happen as well today. It took two restarts of the server for it to stop doing it. It is like everything will be running smooth then instantly the tick rate went to 1 tick every 15 seconds. Only at 2.5GB of 3GB alloted memory. Nothing but the server running. No errors, no crash report, while I could type 'debug start' and 'stop' however the server just sat there and ignored my inputs. I had 10 people on the server, we were all chatting with zero lag while it was doing it. I just let it sit there and chug for a good 3 minutes waiting on a crash or anything to happen. Lost a redpower blockbreaker inchworm bore in motion, going into that chunk now gives me eloraam redpower crash on my client. Its been running fine 8 hours straight now after restarting twice. As for the other 9 people on, No idea what they could have done to cause it.

Come to think of it I have been seeing strips of missing chunks on occasion. Usually walking away and coming back or relogging clears the 'invisible' chunks. It's usually a string of 6 chunks in a line.. I wonder if the bore ran into one. *shrugs*

Fosheze

Jul 29, 2019
I had this happen as well today. It took two restarts of the server for it to stop doing it. It is like everything will be running smooth then instantly the tick rate went to 1 tick every 15 seconds. Only at 2.5GB of 3GB alloted memory. Nothing but the server running. No errors, no crash report, while I could type 'debug start' and 'stop' however the server just sat there and ignored my inputs. I had 10 people on the server, we were all chatting with zero lag while it was doing it. I just let it sit there and chug for a good 3 minutes waiting on a crash or anything to happen. Lost a redpower blockbreaker inchworm bore in motion, going into that chunk now gives me eloraam redpower crash on my client. Its been running fine 8 hours straight now after restarting twice. As for the other 9 people on, No idea what they could have done to cause it.

Come to think of it I have been seeing strips of missing chunks on occasion. Usually walking away and coming back or relogging clears the 'invisible' chunks. It's usually a string of 6 chunks in a line.. I wonder if the bore ran into one. *shrugs*
Unfortunately mine never started working after a restart(I'm on number five). but I suppose I'll try one more then I'll just start a new map. No one besides me was too developed on the old one anyways.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
How where you using the filler, to fill or clear.
when clearing the filler is known to cause issues due the the large number of item drops.
you could open your map with mcedit go to were the filler is and do a remove entities.
or you could have it regen the offending chunks.

The resion it crashes on login and not startup is that when you login you cause it to load the chunks around you (default 10 in each direction)

edit: please note that mcedit will remove any mod blocks in edited chunks

Fosheze

Jul 29, 2019
How where you using the filler, to fill or clear.
when clearing the filler is known to cause issues due the the large number of item drops.
you could open your map with mcedit go to were the filler is and do a remove entities.
or you could have it regen the offending chunks.

The resion it crashes on login and not startup is that when you login you cause it to load the chunks around you (default 10 in each direction)

edit: please note that mcedit will remove any mod blocks in edited chunks
I was using it to clear. I'll try removing entities now

Fosheze

Jul 29, 2019
Yay it's fixed. It was the entities. Sadly my iron tank, filler, and redstone energy cell were collateral of mcedit. But thank you for all the help.:)