Server Forum split

Status
Not open for further replies.

helfull

Jul 29, 2019
hey,

i would like to see 2 subforums or the SMP Server section for whitelisted and open servers

greetz
helfull

RustyDagger

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I think that that would be a very wise Idea also Its just A players choice and making it easier and clear for players trying to find a server can only be a good thing in my eyes.

Sp0nge

Jul 29, 2019
+1

Having to actually consider whitelist, or any other forms of stupid bumps is getting rather annoying. Not all of us belive that whitelist really sorts anything (beside being able to play private, but then again, its just not to show the IP to anyone). Us nonewhitelist are those forgotten servers, that falls page after page behind compared to all the new servers unless, as said, figure out something to write just to bump it.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
+1

Having to actually consider whitelist, or any other forms of stupid bumps is getting rather annoying. Not all of us belive that whitelist really sorts anything (beside being able to play private, but then again, its just not to show the IP to anyone). Us nonewhitelist are those forgotten servers, that falls page after page behind compared to all the new servers unless, as said, figure out something to write just to bump it.
People whitelist because there's little to no protection mods. It's security, not privacy.

Sp0nge

Jul 29, 2019
There exists protection around, actually more than one. If not mistaken there is atleast 3 thats public. Not my fault you havent found them (they are listed on this forum aswell). And not that i would say that even having whitelist will stop the greifer. I mean, have you seen all the 12+ mature servers and the amount of servers where noone is declined nomatter how bad theyre posts are?

Spacetime Mogul

Jul 29, 2019
@Sp0nge: The reason, I believe, why those servers are whitelisted simply is that it adds a buffer to login in. Minecraft clients that are modified for griefing will offer the option of login in with whatever name the user chooses, simple cracked clients will probably also offer this option.
Without a whitelist, griefers or trolls can be banned by the mods/admins of the respective server, but they can very simply just login again under a different name. The mods and admins then have the option to ban their IP or even an entire IP-range, but even this can be countered by using dynamic IPs.
A whitelist now makes this harder as of course griefers here can do the same as above - they will still have to apply again though, and wait for being whitelisted.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
@Sp0nge: The reason, I believe, why those servers are whitelisted simply is that it adds a buffer to login in. Minecraft clients that are modified for griefing will offer the option of login in with whatever name the user chooses, simple cracked clients will probably also offer this option.
Without a whitelist, griefers or trolls can be banned by the mods/admins of the respective server, but they can very simply just login again under a different name. The mods and admins then have the option to ban their IP or even an entire IP-range, but even this can be countered by using dynamic IPs.
A whitelist now makes this harder as of course griefers here can do the same as above - they will still have to apply again though, and wait for being whitelisted.
If the server is running in offline mode (necessary for that to work) then they could just login as anyone else who is whitelisted, even an op. That doesn't help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.