Server/Client Not the same

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I am a server admin. And I hope this reaches other server admins and the moderators here at FTB.

A few things:
The creeperhost server repo is down ( http://repo.creeperhost.net/direct/FTB2/294cf3e59c8109bec74c3b836f94b1b6/FTBBetaA_Server )
When you download the server from the website, you get a file with the following mods:
RU7xs.png

When the latest client has:
plW4u.png

So I have a few dozen players wondering where their server just went to....

Reactions: VoicetotheVoid

VoicetotheVoid

Jul 29, 2019
Having the same issue with my server.
If there is going to be a discrepancy like this for a much longer amount of time, can we have the ability to backdate our clients?

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
I mean surely there should be a pre release and the server version before the client gets pushed....

VoicetotheVoid

Jul 29, 2019
This is Beta, so I can accept having these growing pains, I just want this to be fixed for release, because you will lose massive amounts of people if servers cannot update for days (maybe it'll only be a few hours here). Simple stuff that lesser (in my opinion) mod-packs like Technic have done right, and truly will affect the adoption rate.
Sadly, my server is offline in the meantime and my video-casts are postponed.

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
One thing Tekkit was good at was distribution.
They didn't put all their eggs in one basket (*Cough creeperhost) and they released the updates so that bugs were ironed out and servers were ready before they hit the masses.
I understand that it's in beta, but gravity is taking hold and this will be HUGE. ATM it's just frustrating!

Fij

Jul 29, 2019
yea give us the server edition first next time please...[DOUBLEPOST=1353367337][/DOUBLEPOST]ey its there:D
or atleast a working download
sry... mistake:(
or it works sometimes wtf?

VoicetotheVoid

Jul 29, 2019
It's frustrating, but we are basically in the 'development build' that Tekkit had, which was notoriously unstable. The official release should work out much better with these issues being ironed out (hopefully).
Also, the server pack is now linking to the creeper-host main page for me atm.

devfourk

Jul 29, 2019
I take it
/home/FTB2/FTBBetaAServer.zip does not exist.

means that they have taken down the updated server download? Also hope I can just pop this in, when I update my server will it erase the old world?

ninta

Jul 29, 2019
you can download the server version through the launcher but atm dont bother. it crashes on startup (fresh install) with
[SEVERE] Encountered an unexpected exception NoSuchMethodError
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: ModLoader.getMinecraftInstance()Lnet/minecraft/client/Minecraft;

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
The client is the main thing atm. Server version will only get the full 100% attention once 1.4.5 hits. All server releases now are released so smaller groups who want a small server to play with friends are good.

The big server work will happen once 1.4.5 hits on forge. This will also add a lot more support. Server versions atm are unstable and buggy but this are just the first releases of this modpack. It cannot be compared to tekkit since this pack just releaced and tekkit had bin running for a long time.

There will be a more stable updating system for the servers. Be patiant and give us time to make this work. Keep in mind... we do this for free. Its not like this is a high money project.

Reactions: VoicetotheVoid

VoicetotheVoid

Jul 29, 2019
I definitely respect all of the work that the devs, documentation individuals, and the forum moderators have done on the pack. I also accept, and indeed evangalize to anyone looking at FTB right now to understand that the pack is in beta, and beta is beta. As a game developer myself, I am merely seeking awareness that this should be a learning experience for everyone, in patience from us server admins/users, communication on the forums between all parties, and care in releases for the developers. I honestly am fine waiting for it to be right. Those who moderate servers are voicing the frustration of a much larger audience than just themselves which, when the excuse of beta is no longer valid, can lessen the project. I love what FTB does and I just want the pack to be able to reach as wide an audience as possible once it is fully launched.

Reactions: NHDriver4