RotaryCraft and 1.12

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Honest question, since I've searched the web and this forum and never found the answer.

The lack of Rotarycraft in 1.12 has left me firmly planted in 1.7.10 and I'm probably staying there.

Has Reika ever officially declared that he's stopping development of his (frikking amazing) mods beyond 1.7.10? Or just stopped releasing updates and we're assuming he's out?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I drop by @Reika's MC thread once or twice a year to listen for rumours on a 1.12 port. He hasn't officially closed development forever, nor has he committed to a port (as of my last check a few months ago).

I'm also not aware of any teams currently working on their own port or spiritual successor.

The good news is that TC finally migrated I guess, so Reika's mods are now the last major 1.7.10 holdout as far as I'm concerned :p

Now that you've reminded me, I might have to go spin up an old 1.7.10 pack just to check those mods out again.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I drop by @Reika's MC thread once or twice a year to listen for rumours on a 1.12 port. He hasn't officially closed development forever, nor has he committed to a port (as of my last check a few months ago).

I'm also not aware of any teams currently working on their own port or spiritual successor.

The good news is that TC finally migrated I guess, so Reika's mods are now the last major 1.7.10 holdout as far as I'm concerned :p

Now that you've reminded me, I might have to go spin up an old 1.7.10 pack just to check those mods out again.
I can’t speak for the tech side of his mods, but I’m having an absolute blast with ChromatiCraft - man that’s an awesome mod, with a lot to it! It’s the lynchpin of A Polychromatic World, a new expert style magic-based pack, and that’s been great fun.

Reactions: Shevron

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I can’t speak for the tech side of his mods, but I’m having an absolute blast with ChromatiCraft - man that’s an awesome mod, with a lot to it! It’s the lynchpin of A Polychromatic World, a new expert style magic-based pack, and that’s been great fun.
If you never tried RotaryCraft, and you like to dabble in tech mods - oh please do because RoC is an absolute gem of a mod.

I refuse to move to 1.12 just due to the lack of it (mostly).

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I haven't toucheed RoC since... I think it was 1.6? Making HSLA steel, and farming canola for lubricant. I didn't get too far into it, but it's always looked fun!

See, I don't think you necessarily need to choose between 1.7 and 1.10+. I'll quite happily play packs in any version! So right now we're on APcW, but I'd equally enjoy something like SevTech or Modern Skyblock 3. Not so much Continuum from the looks of the beta, but that's an aside. Can you recommend any good packs that include RoC that I can have a look at?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Reika has been very clear many many times that he will absolutely not be updating beyond 1.7.10. He has given a few various reasons for it, but it all boils down to that he just does not want to.

He is still (relatively) active on the 1.7.10 version though, mostly for Chromaticraft as the other mods are essentially considered complete. He does still add little things here and there though to mainly RoC and ReC. He has always had long gaps between releases, so that's nothing special.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Reika has been very clear many many times that he will absolutely not be updating beyond 1.7.10. He has given a few various reasons for it, but it all boils down to that he just does not want to.

He is still (relatively) active on the 1.7.10 version though, mostly for Chromaticraft as the other mods are essentially considered complete. He does still add little things here and there though to mainly RoC and ReC. He has always had long gaps between releases, so that's nothing special.
Not correct. Or at least, not as per what Reika has told me. Like I said, I touch base with him periodically on the topic. Unless his stance has changed in the last 6 months or something he hasn't completely ruled it out.

Having said that: I think its irrelevant because I think you're absolutely right that he will not do so (for the perfectly valid reason that you gave)

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Not correct. Or at least, not as per what Reika has told me. Like I said, I touch base with him periodically on the topic. Unless his stance has changed in the last 6 months or something he hasn't completely ruled it out.

Having said that: I think its irrelevant because I think you're absolutely right that he will not do so (for the perfectly valid reason that you gave)

Yea, I probably worded that wrong. It is more that he has said that he does not currently foresee himself ever updating, and that it would require a drastic change. He does absolutely leave the possibility open, but so far as I'm aware, it has never gone further than that.

As far as I'm aware, the last significant updates he has posted are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebea...le_of_broken_code_hopes_and_respect_or_why_i/
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebea...veloper_of_a_number_of_large_mc_mods/dc0pr1a/

With their end summaries of:
"Any one of these issues would be a headache, but would be surmountable. Any combination would be cause for introspection and apprehension. All of them together, with some treated as positives, on the other hand, are cause to run in the other direction, screaming obscenities the entire way."
and
"So no, updating has not become more feasible. It has become so problematic that unless I find a solution it is now impossible."
You can see what I was talking about.

It should also be noted though that he stated:
"Though I have no intention of the full isolation in an old version that Better Than Wolves has become somewhat famous for"
as well as his list of mods required are now ALL ported. ( Though Red Power is in a very early alpha/beta state. )
Additionally, 1.12 is clearly the next major version, so his talk about people not having a version they are settled on is also no longer valid.

So, perhaps now that he is the lone wolf on 1.7.10, he might take a look at things again.

I would certainly love to have his mods again, but the extra wealth of 1.12 outweighs them for me. As such, I personally moved on to 1.12 some time ago.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yea, I probably worded that wrong. It is more that he has said that he does not currently foresee himself ever updating, and that it would require a drastic change. He does absolutely leave the possibility open, but so far as I'm aware, it has never gone further than that.

As far as I'm aware, the last significant updates he has posted are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebea...le_of_broken_code_hopes_and_respect_or_why_i/
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebea...veloper_of_a_number_of_large_mc_mods/dc0pr1a/

With their end summaries of:
"Any one of these issues would be a headache, but would be surmountable. Any combination would be cause for introspection and apprehension. All of them together, with some treated as positives, on the other hand, are cause to run in the other direction, screaming obscenities the entire way."
and
"So no, updating has not become more feasible. It has become so problematic that unless I find a solution it is now impossible."
You can see what I was talking about.

It should also be noted though that he stated:
"Though I have no intention of the full isolation in an old version that Better Than Wolves has become somewhat famous for"
as well as his list of mods required are now ALL ported. ( Though Red Power is in a very early alpha/beta state. )
Additionally, 1.12 is clearly the next major version, so his talk about people not having a version they are settled on is also no longer valid.

So, perhaps now that he is the lone wolf on 1.7.10, he might take a look at things again.

I would certainly love to have his mods again, but the extra wealth of 1.12 outweighs them for me. As such, I personally moved on to 1.12 some time ago.
Good points, and I agree all around.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I have no idea which post its in- and I can't be bothered to dig it out either;

- but I remember him posting something along the lines of allowing a 3rd party to port Rotarycraft to later versions as long as they don't screw over the tech tree and keep features like for like.
(Reika please feel free to slap me with a wet fish if I've misremembered).

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea which post its in- and I can't be bothered to dig it out either;

- but I remember him posting something along the lines of allowing a 3rd party to port Rotarycraft to later versions as long as they don't screw over the tech tree and keep features like for like.
(Reika please feel free to slap me with a wet fish if I've misremembered).

Second link I posted, a little ways down:

"In theory, yes, given some conditions:
  • I would retain full ownership and control over the mods; they would get credit as the porter, but would not have any authority (more than anyone else) over design direction or the like.
  • The port was (as much as possible) 1:1 equivalent. That is, no removed or added features, no changed functionality (of tools, machines, etc).
  • The resultant code has to be easily maintainable/expandable by me; this means that changing coding style, or changing the required dev environment structure, would not be acceptable."
Which he also has this to say about:"but a number of people objected to #1, #2 may not be possible (in the porter's mind) (what if a feature relies on something now gone?), and #3 also would have caused issues with the 1.5-1.6 port (assets folder, spritesheets)."

So, even he fully admits, that a port has pretty much no chance.

The only possibility would be a copycat ala Project Red. That was on fairly shaky ground even with RP being abandoned. Reikas mods show no sign of being abandoned anytime soon, so a clone would be unquestionably a shit thing to do. In fact, if they weren't very very careful with such a thing, it would easily be copyright infringement. Reika likely wouldn't want to go to court over it, but he could easily put in a minimum of effort to file DMCA takedowns and such, and at least make it that much more of a headache for the cloners, and anyone associated with it. Remember, Tekkit didn't suddenly go legit because they were being taken to court or anything. It just became more of a headache than it was worth. Imagine how much of a pain recreating Reikas mods from scratch would be...then add in getting DMCA takedowns, copyright infringement notices, uproar on forums, etc.

All in all, the current status is where things will remain for any foreseeable future.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
He'll port them at some point, I feel like someone asked him on reddit post and he said that he'll port them when he feels like it.

gato_borrachon

Jul 15, 2020
well, i think that at the end there was no news about a port to 1.12 right? anyone know a mod that could replace rotarycraft in 1.12?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
There's nothing like Rotarycraft, not even close, alas. The nearest (and still a long way off by a country mile) is a 1.14+ mod called Create, which does feature rotary power with gears and such, and has elements of both speed and torque to its behaviour. Its really not the same, but its probably the closest I've seen, which isn't saying much.

gato_borrachon

Jul 15, 2020
well, it has a more magical touch than anything else, thanks for the suggestion, but as you said, there's nothing like RotaryCraft (in 1.12).