Reward for reviews question

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
Working in the video game industry, I see the problem with this kind of rule all the time. You're not demanding a good review, but the implication for it is still here.

A game reviewer with the promise of free games, invitations to special events, and the like, can see all those rewards disappear if he gives a game the review it deserves or the game publisher/developer feels the reviewer just didn't go far enough in praising the game. This causes game reviews to be skewed.

Game reviewers don't often put their perks (or sometimes their job) on the line by shining too much light on the negative parts of a game. I'm sure everyone can think of at least two games that were stinkers or had issues despite reviews just brushing over them, 'conveniently' not mentioning them at all or at least not until the game's already out and people are already complaining anyways.

What does this have to do with Minecraft servers?

After seeing a few server listing and the reviews for them, I noticed something. There's no detail to the review past a generic "Yup this server is amazing!" followed by an IGN. I know the rules say that it's allowed to offer reward for reviews. You just can't demand a GOOD review, but just like with the game industry (and a lot of other things) the implication still seems to be there.

Who's going to mention the few times some admins were heavy handed, or that there was some extended downtime on a server? Not many people if they have to risk not getting whatever reward they were promised.

This of course scales inversely with the size of the reward. The higher the reward, the less likely someone is to review honestly.

I thought the rule was to encourage more honest server reviews. I have a hard time understanding the difference between actually demanding good reviews in exchange for rewards and the implications in just asking for a review in exchange for reward.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Working in the video game industry, I see the problem with this kind of rule all the time. You're not demanding a good review, but the implication for it is still here.

A game reviewer with the promise of free games, invitations to special events, and the like, can see all those rewards disappear if he gives a game the review it deserves or the game publisher/developer feels the reviewer just didn't go far enough in praising the game. This causes game reviews to be skewed.

Game reviewers don't often put their perks (or sometimes their job) on the line by shining too much light on the negative parts of a game. I'm sure everyone can think of at least two games that were stinkers or had issues despite reviews just brushing over them, 'conveniently' not mentioning them at all or at least not until the game's already out and people are already complaining anyways.

What does this have to do with Minecraft servers?

After seeing a few server listing and the reviews for them, I noticed something. There's no detail to the review past a generic "Yup this server is amazing!" followed by an IGN. I know the rules say that it's allowed to offer reward for reviews. You just can't demand a GOOD review, but just like with the game industry (and a lot of other things) the implication still seems to be there.

Who's going to mention the few times some admins were heavy handed, or that there was some extended downtime on a server? Not many people if they have to risk not getting whatever reward they were promised.

This of course scales inversely with the size of the reward. The higher the reward, the less likely someone is to review honestly.

I thought the rule was to encourage more honest server reviews. I have a hard time understanding the difference between actually demanding good reviews in exchange for rewards and the implications in just asking for a review in exchange for reward.
In an ideal world we would like to ban rewards for reviews altogether but unfortunately we don't have the resources to enforce that. We're looking into offering a duel system, one via votes similar to that of other server listing sites that does allow rewards and one via text reviews that does not allow rewards.

Do you have any ideas on how we could make the system more fair and transparent for end users?

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
In an ideal world we would like to ban rewards for reviews altogether but unfortunately we don't have the resources to enforce that. We're looking into offering a duel system, one via votes similar to that of other server listing sites that does allow rewards and one via text reviews that does not allow rewards.

Do you have any ideas on how we could make the system more fair and transparent for end users?

Like you said, other than an all out ban on it, I don't see much else that could be done. The community reporting it is the only way I can think of that doesn't involve some kind of review review process or a mod who's almost full time job is to inspect that servers don't appear to be giving out rewards. I don't know how many reports you get already about the subject or applications in the review section. I know I put in a few yesterday.

I was just curious if there was some difference I wasn't seeing between demanding good review VS just asking for a review in exchange for reward that would explain why the rule was in place in the first place since the results seem to be the same anyways.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Like you said, other than an all out ban on it, I don't see much else that could be done. The community reporting it is the only way I can think of that doesn't involve some kind of review review process or a mod who's almost full time job is to inspect that servers don't appear to be giving out rewards. I don't know how many reports you get already about the subject or applications in the review section. I know I put in a few yesterday.

I was just curious if there was some difference I wasn't seeing between demanding good review VS just asking for a review in exchange for reward that would explain why the rule was in place in the first place since the results seem to be the same anyways.
It's common place in the minecraft community to reward players ingame for giving reviews, it helps keep the server listing sites active. What was happening and I didn't like seeing was people were making reviews saying for example "A good community but the server does go down a lot" and then being asked to remove the negative part of the review before they would be given an ingame reward, that's what I'm trying to avoid here.