Reduce Lag when Creating Modpack?

S

SummitMusic

So I am working on a modpack for 1.11.2, and I put all the mods in it (using the Twitch launcher) allocated 12 out of 16gb of ram with a decent gpu (that runs more intense modpacks than this) and my game is peaking at 40 FPS? I think this might be a compatibility issue, and I just would like to know if there is an easy way to fix ridiculous lag on your modpack? Will I have to play it 160 times, adding a mod every time JUST to make sure every mod fits?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Will I have to play it 160 times, adding a mod every time JUST to make sure every mod fits?

IF, that is how you are going to do it, then the work ahead is actually worse, because some problems are caused by combinations of mods rather than individual mods.

Creating a (large) modpack is actually a lot of work regardless, that's why we tend to praise modpack creators around here just as much as mod creators. (maybe even more so)

My suggestion would be to start selecting mods before you start play-testing. whether you really need a mod, if it overlaps with other mods, and if you can disable stuff in the configs.

Also; Many mods are actually a collection of smaller mods, often called "modules" And you can often disable those in the configs. Features that overlap with other mods, or compat modules for mods you don't have, or features you know you will never really use can, and probably should all be disabled. Same with ore spawning, you don't need more than 1 mods copper and tin, or basalt, or marble. A large portion of that work can also be done before play-testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
S

SummitMusic

IF, that is how you are going to do it, then the work ahead is actually worse, because some problems are caused by combinations of mods rather than individual mods.

Creating a (large) modpack is actually a lot of work regardless, that's why we tend to praise modpack creators around here just as much as mod creators. (maybe even more so)

My suggestion would be to start selecting mods before you start play-testing. whether you really need a mod, if it overlaps with other mods, and if you can disable stuff in the configs.

Also; Many mods are actually a collection of smaller mods, often called "modules" And you can often disable those in the configs. Features that overlap with other mods, or compat modules for mods you don't have, or features you know you will never really use can, and probably should all be disabled. Same with ore spawning, you don't need more than 1 mods copper and tin, or basalt, or marble. A large portion of that work can also be done before play-testing.

Thanks for the help, man! (Or otherwise, haha)

I will definitely try that out, and take what you said into consideration.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'll send what grandolf says about the memory. As for trying to locate your issue. Keep track of what you do. But disable about 6 to 10 mods and run the game with a new world each time until you find the culprit group that causes the FPS drop. Then once you have the group narrowed you down you can focus on the individual mod that might be causing the issue.

Reactions: SummitMusic
T

ToeiRei

Another thing: I tend to do pregeneration of my world before the big launch. That way I reduce lag in the main areas of the world. Works well for me over night.

Reactions: SummitMusic
S

SummitMusic

Also this will cause issues for you, giving too much ram will give negative effects rather than positive.

For 1.7.10 and older - somewhere 2-4gb is enough
For 1.10.2 and later - 4-6gb is enough
Thank you for this tip, I will allocate less RAM next time!

S

SummitMusic

I'll send what grandolf says about the memory. As for trying to locate your issue. Keep track of what you do. But disable about 6 to 10 mods and run the game with a new world each time until you find the culprit group that causes the FPS drop. Then once you have the group narrowed you down you can focus on the individual mod that might be causing the issue.
Ah, I see. I will try to narrow down to the specific mod that causes this and remove it. Thanks!

S

SummitMusic

Another thing: I tend to do pregeneration of my world before the big launch. That way I reduce lag in the main areas of the world. Works well for me over night.
Good idea, but I would like to have my ores pre generated without having to go into COFH and retrogen-ing

T

ToeiRei

@SummitMusic: I'm using the pregen mod. You start the server and then you hack in the starting command allowing it to pregenerate when having free ticks. In my case I grant it some resources by having the firewall port closed ;)

akaexpress

Dec 28, 2019
I think you can try using some optimizing mods and see if they are compatible. I would suggest using VanillaFix for crashes as it tells you what mod crashed you and it won't kick you out of the game. Try using some java arguments you can tell people to put them in I use -d64 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX: ParallelGCThreads=3 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions
-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50
-XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary
-XX:NewRatio=3 -Dfml.readTimeout=90 -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true and you can set the allocated RAM to 4-6 the space between -XX: ParallelGCThreads=3 should be removed (FTB editor changes it to a emoji) (I use 6-8).

Last edited:

TwoThe

Apr 1, 2020
If you want to hunt lag, the mod Lag Goggles is a great way to do it. It can log what's happening around you and will give you a list of blocks and entities that consume the most time.

Regarding the Java settings: as a senior Java developer I strongly suggest to not use any of them. Getting the right parameter settings for a running system is very difficult, and if you don't know what you are doing you usually make it worse.