Reactor Planner - can I rely on it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just getting started playing with nuclear power, so as is my way I'm trying to fully grok it before actually doing it.

I found Talon's Reactor Planner site, but I'm not sure if it's actually up-to-date. For example, the site says this design will run a full cycle, but when I recreate it in a test world, the overclocked heat vents burn up in about 5 seconds. Is there something I'm missing?

So a.) is the planner valid anymore and b.) does anyone have a link to reliable reactor info that will work with FTB?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that there is a bug in IC2 with multiple uranium cells (dual and quad) producing more heat/power than they should (basically running a cycle in half the time, I think). The planner is based on how things should be, though.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! I now remember scrolling past that bug mentioned on the IC2 wiki, but I didn't make the connection. I'll stick with single cells for now I guess.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
OK, yeah, I'm a moron. I put quad cells in that design where it called for double. Doh. :confused:

thedeester1

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for pointing me to this!!!! Ive been playing (probably not the best word) with reactors for a about 5 days. My first single chamber went BOOM and took with it the quarry I made with my first 11 hard dug Diamonds. I was wondering why my cooling cells wouldnt regenerate....Now I know.

It seems my power needs are well within my current resources if planned properly. Will be firing that bad boy up a bit later and as always keeping a carefull eye on it for the first few hours. It seems all I need at the moment is a Mark I ED! Gonna be playing with that tool a bit till I get my remote thermal monitor working. Then Ill probably blow up my world (Again) LOL.

EDIT: Cause im confused. I went and planned my lovely safe reactor (Single chamber) and tried it out. The reactor planner said I should get 45EU/t. The Industrial machine monitor says Im getting 9 EU/t. MFSU that the reactor is connected to is charging at around 1000 EU/s...maybe a little faster....If there are 10 ticks per second how can this be so? At best it should charge at 450 EU/s and on the low scale it should charge at 90 EU/s........Is the Industrial machine monitor wrong, or more to the point did I set it up wrong??. Ive had a mess around and read some stuff, and its said the Uranium cells preduce 5 EU/tick if they are single and 10 if they are together. Well the machine monitor see's each uranium cell single as 1 EU/t and together 2 EU/t........This should be X5 IMO.

Even so neither result shows what Im getting in my MFSU. which is double the Highest estimate. Its a lovely safe reactor without heating (Since I didnt get the remote thermal monitor working yet). I think the true value of a single Uranium cell is 10 EU/t and the combined of 2 together is closer to 20 EU/t...

All these readings were taken at T:=0 which I assume is temp and hope is working!!!!! Otherwise a new mushroom on the horizon is imminent!

Any thoughts???

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't Gregtech add a load of additional nuclear reactor components though? Such as plutonium and He-Cells. Doesn't this make a lot of designs and Talonfire's simulator a little redundant as these completely change the possibilites and math involved.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
That works out my double power. Thanks! All the wikis I read said there were 10 ticks to a second.....Now im happy. Im happy when the math fits!
No problem. You may want to keep in mind that the number of ticks is slightly variable. If you're experiencing a large amount of lag, the number of ticks per second can drop. But as a general rule of thumb, it's usually 20 ticks per second.