[PROTIP] Easy fix for bugged MFE/MFSU Redstone Output

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Gerhard

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure many of you are dealing with the issue that MFEs and MFSUs require a block update before the state of their redstone output is changed, regardless of their amount of energy. Some people have pistons moving a nearby block every now and then or some other device, but I discovered an easy, noiseless, one-block-space fix for this today.

First, create a ComputerCraft Turtle ( http://computercraft.info/wiki/index.php?title=Turtle ). Place the turtle adjacent to the first piece of redstone coming out of your BatBox / MFE / MFSU. Save this program to it:

Code:
while true do
turtle.turnLeft()
end

The code basically tells the turtle, "As long as there is a block underneath you, turn left."
After you save the program, return to the main screen of the turtle and simply run the program. The turtle will forevermore spin in place, and every single spin it makes will update the adjacent redstone wire.

I am not sure if turning consumes fuel - I know movement does. If turning does consume fuel, you have to make sure to keep the turtle fueled or hope that the server you play on has turtle fuel consumption turned off.

I am currently using this to make sure that my reactor is only enabled when the MFE attached to it requires energy.

EDIT: Updated code bracket.

Catarooni

Jul 29, 2019
Turning does not consume fuel. One issue I had, though, is that I only have one piece of redstone between my reactor and the batbox it feeds into, and placing the turtle adjacent to that piece of redstone causes the redstone to turn to the turtle, away from the batbox / reactor, leading to the reactor not coming on when it is supposed to. The solution I found was to place the turtle above the single piece of redstone.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
There's a even better way. If you give a fuelless tutrtle the "dance" command, he will continually turn, and wont move because he has no fuel.