Only keep X amount of items in ME system

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
Hello friends,

I wish to have my ME system only store a certain amount of items on the drive, while keeping the rest in deep storage units. How can I do so? I wish to keep just a certain amount of each item because having millions of each item in the drives isn't working well.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Storage buses offer instant recovery of items into your AE system. Actually, your AE system reads them as part of the system anyways, so why not throw everything you have into your DSUs.

Ruiga: If you are using subnetworks, it is for a specific task that you require a specific number of items to be held by the system. If you connect interfaces from both your mainnetwork and your subnetwork, will they talk? I guess that would defeat the purposes of a subnetwork, but seeing how LP can talk with interfaces to see the entire AE system, it's quite intriguing.

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
Okay here's the final challange tonight:

My current setup is like this: quarry -> item tesseract -> diamond pipe. The diamond pipe splits into a route of DSUs and the other into the interface.

If I stick storage buses on all the DSUs, can I remove the pipes and go straight to the interface? Will the items in the DSU be stored in the DSU or will it just go from interface -> drive?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, the first.

edit: Also, only items put into your AE system AFTER it has recognized the DSU as a storage container, will go into the DSU.

A simple solution is to format a relatively large drive to the item you wish to go in the DSU, use an i/o machine to pull all of that item out of your AE system into that drive, then i/o the contents of that drive back into your AE system.

1.) Format drive to item in question
2.) Set i/o machine to output, throw drive in. It should stay in the same (left) side.
3.) Set i/o machine to input, throw drive in. It should move from the left side to the right side.

All of item in question should now be in DSU.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Also, shift-right clicking on a storage bus with a wrench will open a gui to set priority. If you set your dsu's to a higher priority than any anything else (such as 10), all items from the quarry will go into the appropriate DSU.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Okay here's the final challange tonight:

My current setup is like this: quarry -> item tesseract -> diamond pipe. The diamond pipe splits into a route of DSUs and the other into the interface.

If I stick storage buses on all the DSUs, can I remove the pipes and go straight to the interface? Will the items in the DSU be stored in the DSU or will it just go from interface -> drive?
Yep. In an ME network, items are routed by default to places where that item is already stored first. So, if you have a DSU for cobble, for example, as long as you don't have cobble stored elsewhere in the system, all the cobble will go to that DSU.

The best part about using storage buses is that it basically turns whatever inventory it's next to into extra storage for the ME network. So you'll be able to access all of your DSUs through a terminal or through automatic crafting, just like with storage cells.

Drkevlar

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't seen anyone mention that the storage bus also has a filter interface when you right click it.
That way you can decided what item goes where and don't have to worry that the item will go somewhere else when a dsu/chest gets emptied.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
Also, shift-right clicking on a storage bus with a wrench will open a gui to set priority. If you set your dsu's to a higher priority than any anything else (such as 10), all items from the quarry will go into the appropriate DSU.

Actually, thats changed now - shift right click will dismantle the bus. Instead, when you open up the GUI there are 2 tabs, one for the filter, and one for the priority.

Also worth noting that AE will prefer to store things in a location where there is already some of that item. So if any of the items in your DSU's are already on a drive, it will go there first. So run your drives through an I/O port once you have the storage busses are set up, just to ensure everything is going there first.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I still route my quarry output (via Item Tesseract) through diamond pipes to my DSUs (all attached to the ME network via storage buses), then everything that isn't a "bulk" item to be stored in a DSU is sent on to a chest with a fuzzy import bus on it. Why? Because every block that the ME network has to handle costs power. So when my quarry pulls in 100k items of cobble, dirt, gravel, and coal, I let the olde tyme BC pipe system handle those. They're still available when I open my ME Access Terminal, but the haven't cost me anything to store.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Hopefully I'm missing something... I just installed my AE storage drives which were partitioned in a manner than specific items were stored on certain disks. I put in the drives top left to bottom right to attain a reasonable organization how locating items when I pull up the remote to my full inventory. It work fine that way in 1.4.7. When I click on the button to organize (by item id, qty, or drive order) by item id lists the items by item id, qty lists the items by qty, but drive priority lists the items by item id. Am I missing something or this a bug?

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Hopefully I'm missing something... I just installed my AE storage drives which were partitioned in a manner than specific items were stored on certain disks. I put in the drives top left to bottom right to attain a reasonable organization how locating items when I pull up the remote to my full inventory. It work fine that way in 1.4.7. When I click on the button to organize (by item id, qty, or drive order) by item id lists the items by item id, qty lists the items by qty, but drive priority lists the items by item id. Am I missing something or this a bug?
Are you sure this worked in 1.4.7? As far as I know, arrangement of your storage cells in a drive doesn't have anything to do with priority. Basically, you can set the priority of some AE items like storage buses and cells, and items will always head to the highest priority storage that's available to them (This page has some details about how storage priority works). Sorting by priority just means that items in higher-priority storage will be shown first.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I think its that I never set a priority on any of my drives and thats why everything is by item ID. I don't remember setting a priority in 1.4.7 but yeah I had all my minerals in a big disk in the lower right corner and all of my unformated disks at the top left. so when I called up my inventory, I would generally find my ores at the bottom of the list and durability items at the top. I think in 1.4.7 the priority was set by what position the disk was placed in the drive. But good call.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
yeah... I can't seem to figure out how to give priority to disks.

Once again... hurray for new mods and authors who don't explain how to use their mods...

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
yeah... I can't seem to figure out how to give priority to disks.

Once again... hurray for new mods and authors who don't explain how to use their mods...
Check out the official website for AE.

Turns out I was actually slightly wrong. You can't set priority on disks, but you can on ME Chests and Drives, as well as Storage Buses.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
ah... so if I'm right, to have items oganized by drive partition, I would need several me chests instead of a single drive. meh.