Oh hi

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
Hi! I've been playing MC since it was first introduced. After a long break period I started playing again regularly about two months ago and I realized that I had become sort of bored with the vanilla game. I had built pretty much everything I had wanted, from a giant castle, an underwater city, and ultra-complex redstone gadgetry. I started checking out videos on YouTube of various mods available and my research lead me to FTB. Now aside from texture packs, I had never used any modifications for MC so this is all very new to me. When I booted into the game for the first time with FTB last night I was a bit overwhelmed but absolutely fascinated! This mod includes a wealth of features that I had wished the developers of MC had included since the start, most notably the industrial components such as automated mining machinery. I'm happy to be a part of the community and I was wondering if anyone could recommend their personal favorite sources of information for beginners... text, video, ect. Thank you and I hope to stick around! :)

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, welcome to the community.

Direwolf20's YouTube videos on the various mods are good, also the FTB Wiki seems to be coming a long nicely which has getting started guides for each mod, and then finally most of the mod's have their own wiki that you can check out.

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet! I will check out the videos. I have been reading the wikis and I found a couple tutorials on the basics. Thank you.

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm so happy! After doing a bit of reading I was able to build a combustion powered quarry with it's own cooling system that feeds into an automated sorting machine!!

Reactions: Zmaster27

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
I had built pretty much everything I had wanted, from a giant castle, an underwater city, and ultra-complex redstone gadgetry.
You built all that... without. ANY. MODS??
Pictures. Please!
You are either a flamboyant genius... or a good liar. This community is filled with both.
I had never used any modifications for MC so this is all very new to me.
My god... there are actually people who never used mods on MC?
Where do ya'all come from???

Welcome to FTB, and please post those pictures... I'll wait.

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
You built all that... without. ANY. MODS??
Pictures. Please!
You are either a flamboyant genius... or a good liar. This community is filled with both.

My god... there are actually people who never used mods on MC?
Where do ya'all come from???

Welcome to FTB, and please post those pictures... I'll wait.

Haha, thank for the warm welcome guys. I guess in my case I just got so into the default game and it kept me busy enough that I never needed anything else until now lol. I am thoroughly enjoying the FTB pack though. I figured out how to use the engines and all that stuff and I'm amazed at the possibilities. One of my favorite things is the diamond sorting pipes; I have OCD with my materials and I love to have them all sorted and now that I've found I'm able to build a machine to do that for me is pretty great.

I am no genius nor flmaboyant and I'd be lying if I said I was a good liar ;) My redstone station thingy doesn't work anymore because it used the old mine cart booster system; I updated it briefly with the powered tracks but it's still crappy. I will post some pics though! I love my castle, especially because I built it from scratch in a vanilla game with no creative mode!

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
javaw2013-01-1811-43-30-22_zps98260128.png

javaw2013-01-1811-44-09-63_zps3c6591dd.png

javaw2013-01-1811-44-25-54_zpsefdb5fb9.png

javaw2013-01-1811-44-43-78_zps5e6bceb9.png
javaw2013-01-1811-45-14-22_zpsf06dbf39.png

javaw2013-01-1811-45-51-22_zps3e60f94d.png

javaw2013-01-1811-46-12-68_zps2be4cf79.png

javaw2013-01-1811-46-30-42_zps93dda1f9.png

javaw2013-01-1811-46-41-20_zpse6cedefd.png

The castle was built in survival mode before it was even called survival mode haha. This was back in the day when you still had to make redstone repeaters using torches! The skyscraper and house were the first two things I built when I discovered creative mode in the update.

Reactions: Munaus

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
The skyscraper and house were the first two things I built when I discovered creative mode in the update.
For a moment, I thought you were serious and actually made an entire skyscraper with THAT many diamonds :p

Thanks for the pictures... you might have given me some ideas on how to make my own castle (with some added redpower blocks here and there).
And again, Welcome to FTB :)

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
For a moment, I thought you were serious and actually made an entire skyscraper with THAT many diamonds :p

Thanks for the pictures... you might have given me some ideas on how to make my own castle (with some added redpower blocks here and there).
And again, Welcome to FTB :)

Haha, yeah that would be a little ridiculous to use all those diamonds, but when I got into creative mode I figured that if I had an unlimited supply of resources then I could be as ambitious as I want. Sadly the skyscraper is unfinished as you can see. It's based off of a building in Seattle.

Thank you again for the welcome! I'm happy my castle could give out a couple ideas; it's also unfinished but I want to keep building the keep. I might use MCEdit and import it into my new world with my super mining quarries haha. I'm having trouble finding the world with my underwater city. It's more of a town really lol, kind of a poor mans version of Rapture from Bioshock. Do you have any pics of your stuff Munaus, I'd love to see! Maybe I could get a few ideas from you too.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Mine is ... unfinished. On so many levels... :p
I'm still struggling to actually make rooms that fills a purpose: a room with Thaumcraft, one with IC2 machines, one stables for horses and so forth...

I made a post about my work on Technic forums, I tried linking to my Imgur, but it seems that they run out of bandwidth. *Sigh*...

Oh and I don't use FTB, I use Technic where I added ExtrabiomesXL for landscape beautiness and Fossil & Archeology ( I can play god and ressurect Dino's! ).

When you play on hardmode and have Ogres that can smash walls and werewolves who are near Damn hard to kill without a gold sword, then you have to rethink the 'hole " I'm gonna build a base by digging underground and be safe there, Yay!" -strategy. :)

Reactions: Naulen

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
I like the forward facade and brick work! I wish I had used a different material besides cobblestone for my castle, but unfortunately that's all I had back when it was built haha. Maybe I'll use MCEdit and change the material, I don't know if that's even possible but I'm sure it can be done somehow. I like the ideas of Ogres and Werewolves.... right now I'm experimenting in peaceful mode with my machines but maybe down the road when I'm actually playing survival that will be something to look into.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to see what horrors await with Mo'Creatures... then look no further :)

This is an absolute winner:
7qWgEWa.png

What you are looking at is 2 zombie pigmen, 1 who rides on a demon steed. Anu, the leader of the pigmen (fossil & archeology) who also rides on a horse and 1 fire scorpion.
I was fooling around with creative while taking this picture.

I also updated my creative castle build. Trials and error, trials and error...

Naulen

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to see what horrors await with Mo'Creatures... then look no further :)

This is an absolute winner:
7qWgEWa.png

What you are looking at is 2 zombie pigmen, 1 who rides on a demon steed. Anu, the leader of the pigmen (fossil & archeology) who also rides on a horse and 1 fire scorpion.
I was fooling around with creative while taking this picture.

I also updated my creative castle build. Trials and error, trials and error...

I have to get some new enemies now! I love the castle. I especially like the bridge and the different lighting that's used. I really love the pyramid too!