Nuclear Reactor to Generate Steam

Ancientmule

Jul 29, 2019
Has there ever been any thought into using the heat generated in the reactor to generate steam?

ie pumping water into the reactor, outputing steam, running it through a turbine and recollecting the water and MJ as the turbine output and sending the water back to the reactor.

Like a modern reactor operates

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
well, im not sure how much you know about nuclear energy but its pretty much a big steam boiler, fissionable material decays, releasing energetic particle which collides with other particle causing it to vibrate faster, A.K.A heat-up, the heat is then transferred to water which runs through turbine creating electricity, somehow alblaka managed to compress a turbine into the nuclear reactor somewhere.......magic.:p

frankly the IC2 team shouldnt have a whole bunch of heat vents, they should have control rods, like grind obsidian and compress it into a rod shape, though i dont think IRL obsidian absorbs neutrons........... maybe a obsidian coal dust mix

Ancientmule

Jul 29, 2019
i understand how modern reactors work, i think that it would be a fun build to use reactors to generate steam and to build cooling towers etc.... Be able to build a complete reactor facility.
Control room
Reactor Chamber
Turbine Room
Cooling system and Towers
and a Transformer area for distrubution system ( transform power created to differnt forms)

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
-_-

hmmmm i got off track, my point was that for the nuclear reactor to work at all it would have to already have a turbine and waterpiping system built in. so they would have to change the fundimentals of how it works at all,

which im all for it requiring to use the buildcraft api and have fluid steam needing to be pumped into a turbine which turns it into water, though IC2 doesnt have a pipe mechanic......