New mod development: Too Much Random Stuff!

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on a new mod: Too Much Random Stuff! (TMRS)
It is still in development, but this is whats in store:
Over 40 new ores!
Weapons, armor, tools!

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't sound rather compelling. 40 new ores? Sounds like a chore to me. Kind of like Metalurgy that adds a lot of useless ores that make random gear that's slightly better then the last.
Are you planning on any neat mechanics? Or is this just another recolored vanilla tool, armor and weapon mod?

Should call it JAOR "Just Another Ore Mod".

This mod sounds like a practice mod made to learn about world gen. I'd only release it so experienced modders can veiw it and critique your ability.
Because right now your idea sounds a lot like Metalurgy and that mod made mining and ore gen a joke.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Open Source! Open Source! Open Source! :p
But seriously, put it on GitHub. It'll be easier to help you/track your progress. :)

Doesn't sound rather compelling. 40 new ores? Sounds like a chore to me. Kind of like Metalurgy that adds a lot of useless ores that make random gear that's slightly better then the last.
Are you planning on any neat mechanics? Or is this just another recolored vanilla tool, armor and weapon mod?

Should call it JAOR "Just Another Ore Mod".

This mod sounds like a practice mod made to learn about world gen. I'd only release it so experienced modders can veiw it and critique your ability.
Because right now your idea sounds a lot like Metalurgy and that mod made mining and ore gen a joke.

Metallurgy doesn't make mining and ore gen a joke. A lot of the ores are crap; you need to alloy them to be any good, and even then some of them aren't so great. You often need special machines to actually smelt the ores, and the most valuable ones can only be found in the nether/end. It adds variety; that's it.
That said, I don't think we need another metallurgy either. But, perhaps the OP has an idea to make it unique. *nudge nudge* tell us the idea *nudge nudge* ;)

Reactions: SatanicSanta

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
theres gonna be machines too!gonna be a multiblock blast furnace, to cook some of the more valuble ores. diffrent ores can make different machines, and some (like sulfer) can be used as fuel.

anyways, be glad its only 40. I was planning 100!

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
and when I said "ores", Only about half of them are actually ores. theres gonna be alloys too.
Anyway, any suggestions are apreciated!

also this is my first mod, so It might take a while.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Still... word to the wise. If you care about your products image bear in mind having a multitude of ores is not a good selling point or a good design plan.
Imagine if you where buying a house and the salesman said "this modest 3 bedroom home comes with 36 free 3 seater couches!!".

Also metalurgy does make mining a joke makes spelunking feel like you are trapped in a multicolored clown cave. Plus a lot of the materials are rubbish, only the mystical metal modual is worth any time. Some materials even alloys can be sub par to vanilla materials. Darksteel sounded cool but it was not much better than iron.

I guese this is well... just like my opinion man. But a mod that adds few or no resources and has an intriguing mechanic will trump any variety of ores and their associated tools.

But don't let me discourage, I'm just giving my 2 cents. People don't respond well to bloat.
But don't let that stop you, you need to start somewhere.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Azzanine has a point. We don't really need another metallurgy, but it is cool that you are making a mod :p If I were you, I would start off with small mods then work your way up to bigger ones like the one you have planned. Take LMT for example. I originally went into it, not knowing Java all that well, big ambitions, and without any direction. It's really overwhelming for me. If it wasn't for Zandorum, my mod would just be an overpowered mess, with just lacklustre items and a billion different tools and pick axes, that all sort of do the same thing (Like the gem tools before I removed them :p). If you really have your heart set on a project like this, get someone to help you, whether it just be some ideas, coding, modelling, textures, or even balancing

Reactions: dragon_fang101

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest starting off with decorative mods. They're perfect simulations of big mod projects, yet it doesn't go too heavy on you and you can use your creativity. Since a lot of ideas for mods are taken, it's pretty bad to try and start off with an original idea. It'll just slow down your learning process.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Other reasons to keep things small at the start:
  • Focus. If you have too many things going on your attention will be spread thin and that can lead to problems.
  • Under promise and over deliver. You don't want to paint yourself into a corner.
  • @Hlaaftana is right. Start with simple things. You will be learning a lot of different topics during this effort, and that is a good thing. You should focus on that learning and not worry too much about putting in a new feature.
  • Iterate. You don't try and fit your entire lunch into your mouth at one time? No, you take small bites. It's the same with software development. You add a block/item/feature, test, and release. Then you move onto the next thing. Once you get going you find out how much is a comfortable bite.
Also as a suggestion, put the source out on github. When you run into problems and ask for help you can provide links to your mod so that others can review. For some this is not a comfortable thing because they fear criticism. If anything it exposes a weakness in those that criticize because the failed to take the opportunity to teach.