Mystcraft eating ram?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BuzZBladE

Jul 29, 2019
OS Windows 7 64-bit
Ram 4GB total, 3GB alloted to the server
i7-2600 3.8Ghz Quad

Setup: McMyAdmin - MCPC+ - Direwolf20 5.1.1 - Core Protect, Worldedit, Groupmanager, and Essentials.

I'm having a slight problem with my ram disappearing. Starting out I was getting approx 600-700mb memory usage and it grew to 1500mb like normal. But now.. my little community of 100+ whitelisted users have found myst ages and each new age seems to be loading a spawn area into memory? I only have 38 myst ages and during load I see all 38 say Preparing spawn area for age 1-38... and my 3GB of ram is gone before anyone joins the server. Can anyone help me identify this chunk loading issue? I feel like i am getting into the 5 digit numbers on loaded chunks with that many ages...

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
its normal. 38 world kills more then 3 gb of ram,and that's just the beggining . delete them all. i suggest a full wipe. players will have the books and will regenerate them.remove crafting of age and link book from the config. make 2-3 worlds and put them at spawn. never EVER let your players make works. i can enter your server. make like 100 worlds in 1 day and kill your server

anyway 3 GB ram for 100 users is to little. especially with a moded minecraft. When server first loads. you will have free ram. but when players start to explore. build complex systems. put chunksloaders on the map. all that ram will be eaten in no time. i have 3 GB ram and 35 slots.

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly what HaoSs said. Effectively, having 38 ages is like having 38 different worlds. It's going to end up in chaos. This many worlds can almost kill a server, and as you said, the amount of loaded chunks will be no help. Just get rid of the ages, especially if you have no need for them. Simply regulate which/when ages are created, and keep it to <10. It should really help with your RAM issuses, this many ages loaded on 3GB of ram isn't going to be good.

BuzZBladE

Jul 29, 2019
I do appreciate the advise guys.
Sorry I said +100 on the whitelist.
However, it's 8 slots, only 8 players are loaded at any time.
Edit: interesting note, after starting up and using 2.8GB of ram, and with the players have been playing, now it seems to have dropped significantly to only 1.6GB of ram usage after an hour... weird

It is not normal. I had 250 myst ages on my last world without any ram bloat. It is not the number of ages, but rather, how many chunks are loaded that uses ram. Before installing mcpc+ ram usage was fine.
The default behavior of forge does not load spawn area's for all worlds into chunk memory.

The issue is it is loading a spawn region for ages with no player or chunk loader during init startup.. Something I have added is preparing the spawn region across all myst ages when they should lie dormant if not in use. I am thinking MCPC+ or Forge are the only two that handle this . Could it be that disabling chickenchunks chunk manager to let mcpc+ handle chunks is causing this?

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
250 unloaded worlds probably, But you think players will make worlds and not go in them ? why you think players make worlds ? to mine and let normal world clean? nop... to live in them.make a batcave and things like that. i dont use direwolf but end+nether+twilight makes around 10% of my total load. even if there is no players in them. ( they are unloaded by TT. but tried the unload off as a test )

well its your choice. if you think you can handle it :) let them have fun :p

BuzZBladE

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks HaoSs and AliveGhost. I think I am just going to keep an eye on the usage..

And it's like you said HaoSs. "When server first loads. you will have free ram"
However the reverse is happening. I start the server, it fills 2.8GB then goes down to normal after a while.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
probably the worlds are loaded at start then unloaded by mcpc ? that's the only way i see it. first time i tested direwolf. server tps droped to 5 at around 80 worlds. forge did not unload them. but i did not get deep in to the config :) was waiting for mindcrack

oh.. 8 slots ? now i see. then you should have no problem :) just make sure the worlds dont stay loaded

BuzZBladE

Jul 29, 2019
And an hour later I am down to 1.5GB of ram usage... Maybe with it this stable I will just restart the server every 12 hours instead of every 6 lol... or maybe every 72 hours if it keeps dropping ram usage if left running at this rate.

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Just one thing, make sure you also regulate the use of chunk loaders. In the configs there should be a chickenchunks option to only enable chunk loaders when the player is on. This could help with ram and perhaps tps also.