My Memory Just isn't What it Used to Be

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
My Memory Just isn't What it Used to Be
Launcher Version:
v1.4.3
Modpack:
Hubris
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
In Hubris 1.3.1 I had no trouble what-so-ever. Now, in 1.4.1 I am receiving out of memory errors which disconnect me. They typically only occur after so much of the world has been loaded. I can walk for about 5 chunks before running out of memory. I've tried alloctating more memory to minecraft and then less. I've used the FTB launcher and MultiMC to play, both without any change to the problem. It seems to only affect the one server that I admin on which I have control of and can change if need be. No other player seems to have this issue.

I never get a crash log since I never actually crash. I just get disconnected. I can rejoin, but I will have graphical glitches.

My Computer Specs
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 2.7 GHz
Number of Cores 4
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 260
Dedicated Memory 896 MB
Total Memory 2.6 GB
Memory 4.1 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 64 Bit
Edition Home Premium
Display Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
DVD Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
CD Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
Drive
Size 931.4 GB
Free 722.1 GB

Edit: The Computer Specs in the spoiler are now outdated. I added (2) 4gb's of ram after this post.

Last edited:

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to look at my issue, UniZero. I've been googling all over the place and all I can find is "Change the amount of memory you allocate to minecraft/ftb" which has not worked. I'm uncertain where else to look.

Here is one of my console logs.

http://pastebin.com/6XQAZSwf

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
I could only follow a little of what you wrote, idjmleader, but it looks like you are asking why I allocated all my ram to minecraft. That was the test I ran when that console log was made. I have been sliding the ram allocation up and down in an attempt to fix this. I am not running a server from my own computer. I connect to a hosted one in case there was any confusion there.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
I could only follow a little of what you wrote, idjmleader, but it looks like you are asking why I allocated all my ram to minecraft. That was the test I ran when that console log was made. I have been sliding the ram allocation up and down in an attempt to fix this. I am not running a server from my own computer. I connect to a hosted one in case there was any confusion there.
Ya I deleted it because what I wrote I thought was wrong. If you only have 4gb of ram total you can only use 2gb to your client the other 2 is reserved for windows pretty much. You may need to get some more ram. I also noticed there was a ars magic errors idk if that has anything to do with it or not.

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
Well, after some more testing it seems that I can play singleplayer just fine without running out of memory. Same goes for playing other servers running Hubris 1.4.1. It is only the server on which I admin that runs out my memory though it doesn't seem to affect any other players. Just me.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Well, after some more testing it seems that I can play singleplayer just fine without running out of memory. Same goes for playing other servers running Hubris 1.4.1. It is only the server on which I admin that runs out my memory though it doesn't seem to affect any other players. Just me.
Well if you are running a server and a client on the same computer thats why. You need 2gb minimum for the client , 2 gb for the server , and windows 7 always uses about 2gb. Hope that helps ya out a bit :)

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not running a server from my own computer. The one I'm having trouble with is hosted elsewhere. I'm simply in charge of that server which makes the fact that I can't be on it for more than five minutes at a time very difficult.

Last edited:

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not running a server from my own computer. The one I'm having trouble with is hosted elsewhere. I'm simply in charge of that server which makes the fact that I can't be on it for more than five minutes at a time very difficult.
And I will explain this again. If you have only have 4gb of ram and your MC is using 2GB then than thats it man. Windows 7 uses like 1.75gb and the other .25 goes to processes and but its pretty much summed up it uses 2gb. Sooooooo if you are doing stuff on your pc and your pc spikes to 4gb your gonna get a MC crash. Used to happen to me all the time.

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
Ooooooh! So 2gb + 2gb = 4gb? Awesome! I'll keep that in mind. :p
I understand that my computer is mostly running at max ram all the time. What I'm hoping to solve is why the server I play on spikes my ram when other servers running the same modpack and version don't. I have remote access to this server and can make changes as necessary if I can just find out what changes need to be made.
Thank you for continuing to answer my posts idjmleader even if I seem not to understand you.

Edit: As my hopes diminish on solving this problem I'll post one more console log.

http://pastebin.com/RJqCA5FV

After searching for "memory" in the log I notice this line:
[Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.world.ChunkEvent$Unload@14209e2c:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

It makes me think that it's having trouble unloading chunks. Is this possible?

Last edited:

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Ooooooh! So 2gb + 2gb = 4gb? Awesome! I'll keep that in mind. :p
I understand that my computer is mostly running at max ram all the time. What I'm hoping to solve is why the server I play on spikes my ram when other servers running the same modpack and version don't. I have remote access to this server and can make changes as necessary if I can just find out what changes need to be made.
Thank you for continuing to answer my posts idjmleader even if I seem not to understand you.

Edit: As my hopes diminish on solving this problem I'll post one more console log.

http://pastebin.com/RJqCA5FV

After searching for "memory" in the log I notice this line:
[Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.world.ChunkEvent$Unload@14209e2c:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

It makes me think that it's having trouble unloading chunks. Is this possible?
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space that is the problem it is saying you are out of memory :) Try 1.5Gb in your client. That is not recommended but that should help alot. If you are having issues with your lag and stuff try out optifine. I will probably make a video tonight or tomorrow on setting up optifine for optimization for lower end machines. And you are welcome :)

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it appears as though what I suspected may be correct. It is not a lack of memory that is causing minecraft to run out of memory when I load many chunks on this specific server.
I just installed (2) 4GBs of ram in my computer for a total of 12Gb's of ram. I allocated 6GB to minecraft through java arguments and the same out of memory error occurs.
I verified that the memory is installed, recognized and available.
Has anyone had experience with this?

My Computer Specs after installing the new memory chips:
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
ManufacturerIntel
Speed2.7 GHz
Number of Cores4
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
ManufacturerNVIDIA
ChipsetGeForce GTX 260
Dedicated Memory896 MB
Total Memory4.0 GB
Memory13 GB
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack1
Size64 Bit
EditionHome Premium
Display Maximum Resolution1920 x 1080
DVDOptiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
CDOptiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
Drive
Size931.4 GB
Free708.9 GB

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it appears as though what I suspected may be correct. It is not a lack of memory that is causing minecraft to run out of memory when I load many chunks on this specific server.
I just installed (2) 4GBs of ram in my computer for a total of 12Gb's of ram. I allocated 6GB to minecraft through java arguments and the same out of memory error occurs.
I verified that the memory is installed, recognized and available.
Has anyone had experience with this?

My Computer Specs after installing the new memory chips:
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
ManufacturerIntel
Speed2.7 GHz
Number of Cores4
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
ManufacturerNVIDIA
ChipsetGeForce GTX 260
Dedicated Memory896 MB
Total Memory4.0 GB
Memory13 GB
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack1
Size64 Bit
EditionHome Premium
Display Maximum Resolution1920 x 1080
DVDOptiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
CDOptiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
Drive
Size931.4 GB
Free708.9 GB
6Gb to the server or your client? If you are using java arguments on the client do not do that just use the slider bar. Use 4GB to client and like 2 or 4Gb to server. Sorry I can not read the whole post again I am in class lol.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
6Gb to the server or your client? If you are using java arguments on the client do not do that just use the slider bar. Use 4GB to client and like 2 or 4Gb to server. Sorry I can not read the whole post again I am in class lol.
If you are using Optifine ultra set how many chunks can load :) And make sure there are not tons of people using chunk loaders and stuff at the same time.

Lonemind

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using Optifine ultra set how many chunks can load :) And make sure there are not tons of people using chunk loaders and stuff at the same time.
I have optifine to load a 5 chunk radius around me. I have also tried 3. I have used the same settings for the server. First to allow players only to have a 3 chunk radius around them, then 5, then 3 again.
No one is loading more chunks. Chunkloaders are uncraftable and there are only 2 or 3 players on at any given time. The problem persists even when I am alone on the server.

I have both enabled and disabled those java arguments in attempts to solve this. Niether attempt was successful.