MultiMC removing FTB and Curse integration

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

InsaneJ

Jul 29, 2019
I just saw that the latest build of MultiMC is dropping support for FTB by request of Slowpoke. See change on Github:

Did a little bit of searching but couldn't find the reason for this. I've been using MultiMC for many years and was really happy to see support for FTB packs added so now I'm sad to see that support is being dropped.

This is not meant to rant or complain. I've really enjoyed the FTB integration with MultiMC and am grateful for it while it lasted. I'm just curious. May I ask what the reason is that MultiMC has to remove FTB and Curse integration? Does anyone know?

Scourge012

May 22, 2022
Not necessarily a big mystery...OverWolf is corporate. They get ad revenue based on how many people see or view their various apps. If enough users DON'T use a particular app they've partnered with, they might drop support. Since the FTB team is partnered with them, they have a vested interest in driving users to the FTB App. "Best" way to do that is to systematically request that other launchers just not feature their mod packs so we all use the FTB official App through OverWolf.

krustymk

Jul 29, 2019
Im even more determined not to use curseforge after recent events. I understand they want to make money but they need to find a better way!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

TigerSven

Jul 29, 2019
And once again we are being hosed by corporate policy and are forced to comply with a rule made by a decision that we were not even consulted on. I flatly refuse to have Overwolf anywhere near ANY of my PC systems, it is invasive and obnoxious and it covertly hoovers up your data for "statistical purposes", not to mention the ad-spamming which in itself is just another cover for statistical analysis using an analytical algorithm that runs under each ad. If this is a "final" decision by Slowpoke then my respect for him just derailed right off the track... NOT a good move!

Backpedalling on a promise made by the FTB team that there would be full support for other launch platforms such as the AT Launcher and MultiMC, this decision goes against, and indeed breaks a promise that was made in good faith to all of the FTB community. I am sorry to say that if the only way to launch the FTB Modpacks is through the App which FORCES the end user to install Overwolf, then my days of playing the FTB Modpacks are over and I will close the door on the whole affair.

It has been fun and I will miss playing them but at the end of the day I refuse to be dictated to by the corporate overlords that are embodied by Overwolf and who are insistently pressing their demands onto the FTB Team who are subsequently, apparently, bowing to those demands, maybe for reasons laid down in the agreement between the FTB Team and Overwolf... after all Overwolf do not own the Modpacks themselves...yet... :/

If this decision has been made by the Overwolf Corporation and they are forcing the FTB Team's hand in this the I would say that surely it is down to the FTB Team itself to decide how to distribute the Modpacks, and it is, to some degree, a free decision on behalf of the players of those Modpacks to choose which launcher they will use to download and play those packs which are being kindly distributed by the FTB Team... NOT Overwolf!

On the other hand, if the this recent decision to withdraw third-party launcher support has been made by the FTB Team themselves and that they have decided to distribute their Modpacks EXCLUSIVELY through the Overwolf platform then this is a very disappointing turn of events.

Sorry Slowpoke if you are reading this but I must make a stand here, Overwolf is not getting anywhere near my system and I am sorry that you are withdrawing support for other launchers. I will state clearly, right here, I am against Overwolf's Corporate Policies and its distribution policies. If you ever reverse the decision to drop third-party launcher support and decide to allow support for the other launcher platforms, or if you decide to make the App a stand-alone launcher again free from Overwolf's "incorporation" then I will consider returning, but until that time it is farewell to the FTB Modpacks.

I do not know how many other people in these forums feel the same way, I am not trying to persuade you or to start a flame war, I am just stating my honest felt opinion. My apologies to anybody who may be offended by this post, it was not my intent to offend, merely to openly state my feelings concerning Overwolf and the latest decision of withdrawing third-party launcher support.