Modded UHC a thing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Jul 29, 2019
I have seen this discussed before, and I think Modded UHC could be a thing.
However, the question is what mods would work with it. The way vanilla UHC works is largely based on balance meaning each player has a equal chance to win; This would have to be emulated in a modded version. The main factor is UHC is mining for resources which usually means no strip mining etc. Would ore processing and quarrying etc. be a no go, or could it perhaps be balanced and made interesting for play. Also weaponry and armour, would hunger overhaul work?

Anyway feel free to discuss mods that would work whilst keeping the tension of UHC.

Reactions: psp

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Isn't time a bit limited in most UHC (i.e. sometimes because of ever shrinking world border). That kind of limit will automatically make sure that more advanced ore processing or quarries will not be feasible.

Though, what I'd really like to see is a modded UHC with very high damage mods like ICBM, MFFS, RotaryCraft and so on. Perhaps this could work by giving all teams a bit of preparation time where nobody is allowed to enter each others area started by the actual fight were people try to destroy each others base with missiles and stuff like that :)

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't time a bit limited in most UHC (i.e. sometimes because of ever shrinking world border). That kind of limit will automatically make sure that more advanced ore processing or quarries will not be feasible.

Though, what I'd really like to see is a modded UHC with very high damage mods like ICBM, MFFS, RotaryCraft and so on. Perhaps this could work by giving all teams a bit of preparation time where nobody is allowed to enter each others area started by the actual fight were people try to destroy each others base with missiles and stuff like that :)
Wow, I never thought of that. That would in fact give another layer to UHC, although the preparation time would really decide the winners meaning the randomness of UHC might be slightly decreased. But true, time would be definitely have to be altered or else get rid of time consuming mods :p

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Tinker's Construct actually has a whole config section devoted to UHC. It lets you add a world border, disable natural regeneration, and make rehab potions harder to get and stuff

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

C

chbachman

I tried this. It works well, tinkers construct with hardcore questing mode and natura. It worked well, I even made a set of quests involving progressing to get rid of some of the grind and make it faster.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I could make a great uhc hehehehe.

*Takes BnB and changes it removes all non-creature type mods and then throws in everyone hardcore monster type mods and sits back watching all the raging players and laughs*

In case you didn't get what i meant...

An uhc modded map wouldn't necessarily need substance mods. Maybe mods like legendary beast ect. and then set all the mob spawning to 500% higher than normal while everything like normal uhc stays the same.. hehehe

Reactions: OrsonThinks&Talks

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Unification. @AlCapella Should we go into more details?

^^ What @Mevansuto said, we're putting together a pack that is unification and hardline in terms of gameplay, at its core...

Unification around RF, to be precise. We've aimed to retain the same flavour and approach of regular modded minecraft that players are used to and are comfortable with, in the first place.
Then, we've rigorously aimed to tweak around this regularity and created progression tiers around mod interactions..
We have tried to throw a lot of subtle but solid spanners in the works, around the regular gameplay that people take for granted when beginning modded MC... For example, we're ensuring that twilight forest is a early game requirement (which is going to mess up with people's ingrained approach straight away), and making nether visits part of the power generation scheme. Given that Mekanism is considered OP by some, we've intertwined some of its requirements with TE3.... We inverted a few vanilla recipes to be intentionally harder than modded recipes which means that mods subsume the vanilla early game (based on sneak previews this already messed up people's minds).... Ore gen and crafting requirements will enforce co-op mode between players in servers to barter their respective surplus to gain other items. Magical mods are getting interlinked, so you need one to go with the other (still a WIP). And the mobs..... well that'll be fun, but not like bnb. It goes a lot more like this....

Basically, tl;dr... we've tried hard to ensure that you will be on your toes all the time, you will be using the "best mod for the occasion" rather than "my favourite mod all the way" and have naturally occurring game tiers around mod interactions... For sure, players can try and hack through some of the gameplay we have worked in our minds, but to prevent too much circumventing of this, @Mevansuto's got a few HQM tricks up his sleeve... If players break parts of our intended progression tiers anyway despite all this, we'll close the loop in the next iteration of the pack. At least that's the hope.

It's getting there... Been a busy two weeks for me, so some of the tweaking around recipes and playtesting's not as fast as I'd like... c'est la vie :(

P.S: It'll be an exploratory world, not a map.... No artificial resource scarcity/favela chic... It's all there.... it's just not low hanging fruit anymore, despite how good your modded knowledge might be.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
^^ What @Mevansuto said, we're putting together a pack that is unification and hardline in terms of gameplay, at its core...

Unification around RF, to be precise. We've aimed to retain the same flavour and approach of regular modded minecraft that players are used to and are comfortable with, in the first place.
Then, we've rigorously aimed to tweak around this regularity and created progression tiers around mod interactions..
We have tried to throw a lot of subtle but solid spanners in the works, around the regular gameplay that people take for granted when beginning modded MC... For example, we're ensuring that twilight forest is a early game requirement (which is going to mess up with people's ingrained approach straight away), and making nether visits part of the power generation scheme. Given that Mekanism is considered OP by some, we've intertwined some of its requirements with TE3.... We inverted a few vanilla recipes to be intentionally harder than modded recipes which means that mods subsume the vanilla early game (based on sneak previews this already messed up people's minds).... Ore gen and crafting requirements will enforce co-op mode between players in servers to barter their respective surplus to gain other items. Magical mods are getting interlinked, so you need one to go with the other (still a WIP). And the mobs..... well that'll be fun, but not like bnb. It goes a lot more like this....

Basically, tl;dr... we've tried hard to ensure that you will be on your toes all the time, you will be using the "best mod for the occasion" rather than "my favourite mod all the way" and have naturally occurring game tiers around mod interactions... For sure, players can try and hack through some of the gameplay we have worked in our minds, but to prevent too much circumventing of this, @Mevansuto's got a few HQM tricks up his sleeve... If players break parts of our intended progression tiers anyway despite all this, we'll close the loop in the next iteration of the pack. At least that's the hope.

It's getting there... Been a busy two weeks for me, so some of the tweaking around recipes and playtesting's not as fast as I'd like... c'est la vie :(

Oh, don't forget to mention the removal of duplicate crafting items. All machines use the TE Machine frame etc (do we really need like 5 different machine frames?).

Jul 29, 2019
I could make a great uhc hehehehe.

*Takes BnB and changes it removes all non-creature type mods and then throws in everyone hardcore monster type mods and sits back watching all the raging players and laughs*

In case you didn't get what i meant...

An uhc modded map wouldn't necessarily need substance mods. Maybe mods like legendary beast ect. and then set all the mob spawning to 500% higher than normal while everything like normal uhc stays the same.. hehehe
Yeah i see what you mean, basically UHC with flavouring. This is a valid option too just adding a mod with a specific function like Hunger Overhaul.

Reactions: psp

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, don't forget to mention the removal of duplicate crafting items. All machines use the TE Machine frame etc (do we really need like 5 different machine frames?).

Partner, you're more than welcome to fill in all the details my old brain's forgotten to add :)

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Also on the subject of modded UHC, you might try @Wyld's UHS (Ultra Hard Survival). The most recent iteration thereof is available on the ATLauncher somewhere, and (from watching his streams) seems to be quite good at being both ultra and hard. Not sure how that translates to UHC, though; neither of them are really my kind of Minecraft.

Jul 29, 2019

P.S: It'll be an exploratory world, not a map.... No artificial resource scarcity/favela chic... It's all there.... it's just not low hanging fruit anymore, despite how good your modded knowledge might be.

Yeah I see the idea, It seems you got this worked out well. This seems Awesome. And I realize now that HQM would be the main factor in controlling a UHC modded pack to maintain the balance between players and such :) And yes iIwas thinking with a UHC containing various mods, the main issue would be the slight in balance between them meaning some players may use TE or Mekanism and their results would be far different. This tiered play is great.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Im bored so im going to make a modded uhc pack. I don't want to mess around with minetweaker some im going to make one focused around hardcore mobs :p all show it when im done.

Reactions: buggirlexpres