Mod Sorter

D

Deleted member 249

Hey Guys,

i just came up with the idea of creating a little add on for RP2, which adds a machiene, which basically colorcodes items dependent on which mod they belong to. I think that one would be a great improvement for the FTB-Pack.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, let me just say "Good luck with that.".

RP doesn't have any kind of API you can access, like IC or BC do, so you will have to work with the compiled files as sources, which is neither really legal, nor easy to use, as it's obfuscated.

Oh, and you will need to be really inventive so that your mod can recognize the mod items without actually requiring all the supported mods to be installed, or else you won't have much people even trying it out.

D

Deleted member 249

Well, i have never modded myself, so i got no idea at all, how to do that. I just wanted to share my idea ;)

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
... you will have to work with the compiled files as sources, which is neither really legal, nor easy to use, as it's obfuscated.
Erm isn't that exactly the same position as modding Minecraft was for a long time?

I've struggled with this for along time, I love what Elloram does, and I hope she continues for a long time, but I find her position on modding Redpower hard to justify when she is herself modding Minecraft, and when she started doing that had no permission to do that.

At first with mods all that happened was Notch didn't get too upset about it, although I know he expressed some doubts and concerns. But from what I've seen Elloram actively squashes RP mods, to me there seems to be some hypocrisy in that.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I've misunderstood something along the line, I hope so, I really do, like I say I love what Elloram produces, just find her approach to others modding her mod a little rich.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
dude you really do not want to open that can of worms Elo is a god (Goddess) in the community, as to notch & mods I believe he seen the potential that the mods bring to extend the life of MC & bring in new blood, so he did not take a stand, more a case of lets see how the cards fall then see what stand he would take, I for one have a lot of respect for notch as a coder but as a person not so much, after all he like we are just mer mortals at the end of the day, so are prone to good & bad days.

The modding community is evolving day by day maybe from a tad shady beginnings but thats how most things start, after all what is the difference between a rebel & a freedom fighter ?, Public option.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
Just because of Elo's status and her amazing work doesn't make her unchallangable around her actions and words.

Notch has indeed seen the light (if you will) and is, still with reservations, happy to see mods produced, and is now actually supporting modding via a modding API being developed by what was the Bukkit team.

As for respect for Notch or otherwise, not sure how that enters into what I said.

As for the mods community starting shady, that is my exact point, Elorams start point for MC modding is no different to that of someone that now wants to mod Redpower.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, minecraft has been a game that was supposed to support modding from quite some time now, it just happens that they didn't really do the helping part themselves, but fiddling with a mod without the author authorization could potentially make some people go on a flamewar/vendeta, usually not even the authors themselves.

Anyway, the hardest part is not quite doing a sorting machine II, but more to make the other mods supports without actually requiring them, and figuring how to show this to the user once evrything works (UI, presentation post, ...).

D

Deleted member 249

I think that could be possible with Forge... Can Forge return the mod an item belongs to ?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite impossible.
A good example of mods using but not requiring is Forestry.
It can use both BuildCraft and Industrial Craft, and works like a charm on its own too.

Worth investigating for those wanting something like that, because once you know if a mod is there or not, you could potentially parse the config (or maybe use some other way) to know the block and item ids.

That was my little bit to help I guess, but don't ask for specifics^^