Mining turtles.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i have them excavating. the problem is when they run out of fuel. I put the coke in there inventory and it seems to me thay only use 1 of them. I have a transponder that collects all there stuff and unloads it to a chest, so when i get back it is asking for fuel again, and in the box is 63 coke. Is there a way to make it use all the coke i put in it at once. Say I put 3 stacks in i want it to use all 3 stacks.

I know i can say refuel 64 and make it use a stack, but when it is asking for fuel you can't type in the menu. As soon as you put it in it's inventory it takes off.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't you put in the fuel, refuel it, and THEN set it off to excavate?
Otherwise you'd have to either make a charging station for it, figure out a way to pump fuel into it, or rewrite the excavate program yourself.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
if you stop it in the middle of a excavting project it has to start all over. I have him digging a 30X30 hole.

How you build a charging station.

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
V1ADr.png

Source:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/4587-cc1481mc146-miscperipherals-30/

Be Carefull, when the Charging Station does not become enough Power, it Spams you with messages in the Console and can Lag you out.

And of course you need to Lable your Turtle. When you pick it up again, it doesn't lose the Fuel and Programs!
"lable set <Name>"
Of course, you need do stop it from Quarrying before you can do this.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You could also toss in a bunch of stacks of charcoal, tell it to "refuel all" and then send it off. That will last a LONG time.

Reactions: dc0110

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
You could also toss in a bunch of stacks of charcoal, tell it to "refuel all" and then send it off. That will last a LONG time.
This is usually my preferred method. I had a tree farm supplying a boiler with charcoal, and making a lot spare. I filled it's inventory a few times, and told it to refuel all. Goodbye fuel worries :)

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
A friend of mine had a turtle sitting at a charging station hooked up to a thermal generator overnight. Came back the next day and had something like 1 billion fuel. I don't think he's in any danger of it running out of fuel mid-quarry.

Of course, if you just want to work with the turtle and not worry about external infrastructure, the best solution is to tweak the mining program yourself. I suspect the default excavate program was written to make it easier to figure out the code rather than maximizing usefulness. It's a bit more like a tutorial than a replacement for a BC quarry.

Even if you aren't a programmer, it can be worth your time to browse the ComputerCraft forums for interesting stuff. There are some pretty powerful quarry programs out there that can do everything from handling refueling and digging more efficiently to coordinating fleets of turtles.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
This is usually my preferred method. I had a tree farm supplying a boiler with charcoal, and making a lot spare. I filled it's inventory a few times, and told it to refuel all. Goodbye fuel worries :)
Just remember to label the turtle, unlike the first time I did it.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember to label the turtle, unlike the first time I did it.
Well, yes, it is useful to do that.

Although I've now moved on from turtles. I'm currently trialing a system of using an arcane bore to bore into the top of a hollow hill, to get the juicy, juicy innards.

Reactions: dc0110

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, yes, it is useful to do that.

Although I've now moved on from turtles. I'm currently trialing a system of using an arcane bore to bore into the top of a hollow hill, to get the juicy, juicy innards.
Heh, build a flyin' saucer with arcane bore deathrays a lá independence day from frames.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, build a flyin' saucer with arcane bore deathrays a lá independence day from frames.
After a bit of tinkering and experimenting, I think I'm going to end up with 5 bores on the ship. 1 at the bottom, for the initial incision, and 1 in each of the cardinal directions, for when I get into the heart of it.

The major issue is that, with a decent potency upgrade on the wand, it's liable to take out the output inventory if it's pointing that way.

The other major issue is that vis is somewhat rare, so my recharge/repair enchantments tend not to work very well. I'm thinking about a system to pull dead ones out and put them in an enderchest to repair/recharge in the overworld.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
After a bit of tinkering and experimenting, I think I'm going to end up with 5 bores on the ship. 1 at the bottom, for the initial incision, and 1 in each of the cardinal directions, for when I get into the heart of it.

The major issue is that, with a decent potency upgrade on the wand, it's liable to take out the output inventory if it's pointing that way.

The other major issue is that vis is somewhat rare, so my recharge/repair enchantments tend not to work very well. I'm thinking about a system to pull dead ones out and put them in an enderchest to repair/recharge in the overworld.
Don't they have to be in your hotbar to recharge?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

If you think the lack if vis is an issue you really haven't considered the excess of flux well enough.

We had one person experiment with a 4-bore platform in our quarry age. Wisps EVERYWHERE :D

They're not much of an issue once you're in quantum armor but quite a few people died. Repeatedly :D

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
If you think the lack if vis is an issue you really haven't considered the excess of flux well enough.

We had one person experiment with a 4-bore platform in our quarry age. Wisps EVERYWHERE :D

They're not much of an issue once you're in quantum armor but quite a few people died. Repeatedly :D
Well, I'm currently the only person on this particular server (it makes the game run better if the world-stuff is offloaded to somewhere else), and I'm currently in enchanted quantum chest and legs, and enchanted goggles and TC3 boots, with a shiny diamond sharp, looting, soul stealing sword, and a recharging lightning stick. Wisps are fun for aspects and experience.

Also, I think that the bore itself is currently pulling vis from a node quite far away (the hill in question is in the middle of a dark forest. Little vanilla vegetation = no node, hence the vis problem). So any flux will be being generated there, and I'll deal with it at some point :)