Memory Issues with Sky Factory

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
V

Vertalli

Title:
Memory Issues with Sky Factory
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
Sky Factory
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Every 2 minutes or so my game will freeze up, the mouse will show a loading icon, then after about 2 seconds it goes back to normal 60 fps. I have noticed via the f3 screen that this happens when my 'used memory' reaches 97% then drops back down to 75%. I have 3gb of ram allocated out of the 8gb I have. I did have 4 allocated, but once the freezes started happening I decreased it to 3 because I heard java has problems when too much memory is allocated. Though that didn't fix the problem at all.

Please help me out. =)

Last edited:
V

Vertalli

It happens every time it says:
  1. [12:06:09] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2973ms behind, skipping 59 tick(s)

V

Vertalli

I did post a log, it's above that post. The link is awaiting moderator approval

V

Vertalli

I was able to post the link in the original post at the top, hopefully you can see it =)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
  1. Memory: 178867224 bytes (170 MB) / 565706752 bytes (539 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)
  2. JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms256M -Xmx2048M
Unless I am missing something, it looks like your setting of 3GB gets overridden as 2048 MB is only 2 GB. If you want to make sure you have 3 GB allocated you should be able to view the allocated amount of RAM in the f3 menu.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Actually you are allocating only 2GB: MCLauncher.setMemory:273: Setting MaxMemory to 2048.

You could try using newest GC algorithm by adding "-XX:+UseG1GC" as additional java argument. In myu installation it removed GC lag spikes.

V

Vertalli

I've been messing around with the allocated memory to see which one works best, but all seem to have that problem. Which is why it says 2gb instead of the 3 I said I put it on. How do I fix the constant freezes though, how much memory do you recommend I allocate?

V

Vertalli

You could try using newest GC algorithm by adding "-XX:+UseG1GC" as additional java argument. In myu installation it removed GC lag spikes.
I just add this in "Additional Java Parameters" in Advanced Options in the launcher?

V

Vertalli

Well, it worked for a couple hours, now its back to hovering around 90% memory and freezing up my game. =/

V

Vertalli

The theme seems to be that opening up the game, it's fine on memory for 4-5 hours running it straight, slowly creeping up to the 90% threshold. Once it reaches that I can't play, it freezes every 10 seconds, no exaggeration. The only way I can fix this is by then closing the game and relaunching it. If you need me to post another log from today I can do that.