Map Making: A very stupid question.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
This has been something that has bugged me for as long as it's been added to minecraft. Yet I see maps work with out this issue.

When you make a spawn location, minecraft tends to 'spread' players out, by randomly plopping them with in so many blocks of where spawn is set, even in SSP. One modded slyblock map I have made and given out to test nearly always has everyone spawning and falling off into the void.

Yet I see so many maps, even default skyblock where that never happens. I'm never starting the map for the first time and plopping off into the void. Yet maps I make that does happen, for me, and friends I've passed it to for play testing. Or set spawn some 1k blocks away and use trip wires and command blocks to reset spawn to the proper spot.

This has confused me to no end and ends up needing stupid redstone/command block tricks to set the players in an exact location.

So what is the trick?

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried "/setworldspawn <x> <y> <z>"?

I think that only works for Minecraft 1.7.2 or later, but it is the best option. You can manually set the default player spawn using McEdit. You can also use /spawnpoint <x> <y> <z> in combination with a scoreboard check of 0 then set the scoreboard to 1 after the spawn is set so that any new players to the map get their spawn set automatically.

FYI, the /setworldspawn which only works in 1.7.2 or later also moves the default force loaded chunks of the world spawn from the original location to the one specified in the command. So any command blocks that you want to work regardless of player position in the world must be near that position.