"Looking for players" subforum

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A lot of people seem to want to just want to find a few people to casually play with but seem confused about where to post about this. The Server promotion area is a rather rigid section for this and some report it being a bit intolerant about them trying to post these there. Often they only really want to find a friend or two to play a certain pack with, maybe start a LP or something, so it doesn't really belong among all the more "pro" servers either. Result seem to be that these posts crop up spread out over the forum.

Would it be possible to get a subforum somewhere(maybe in conjunction with the server section?) for these people to "hook up"?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I will add my vote as well, it would clear up the forum quite a bit. While we are at it why don't we have two sections such as "looking for players" and then another one "I am looking for x server" place where us admins can reply to these "requests" if we fills in what the "requester" asking for?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I will add my vote as well, it would clear up the forum quite a bit. While we are at it why don't we have two sections such as "looking for players" and then another one "I am looking for x server" place where us admins can reply to these "requests" if we fills in what the "requester" asking for?
We need to keep in mind that a new subforum does not come without costs. They add a direct workload to moderators that now have to browse new places every day. And in your example I probably would act a bit grumpy if I were a moderator and say "people looking for a server could just instead open their eyes and browse the server promotion lists instead" :p

Funky Ghost

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps to mitigate thread density simply have an ad thread with PMs being the majority of the conversation. Those can be easily deleted as needed/wanted by the recipient and sender.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't mind something like this, not for myself, but more to direct new members toward it. Frequently see new members asking with their introduction "hey, anyone want to play x pack with me?", so a place to direct them for good exposure to others looking for the same would be nice/handy.

Edit: corrected a spelling derp

Last edited:
Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Perhaps to mitigate thread density simply have an ad thread with PMs being the majority of the conversation. Those can be easily deleted as needed/wanted by the recipient and sender.
In theory this is a very good idea. However in reality I see several problems with it:
  • People have to find this thread in whichever subforum it ends up in. I think most of us realise that some people have problems even looking down the forum section list for the right place to post :p, but with a sub section the odds of a large majority finding the right place should be increased.
  • Everyone using the thread would need to post precise enough information in just one post to not warrant a storm of questions. From all the randomly placed posts I have read over my time here, that rarely happens.
  • Everyone using AND reading this thread would need proper discipline to keep it clean and organised, and not start clogging it up with questions/comments about a single persons post. Would also require everyone to read and understand the first post when the thread eventually reaches many pages(something that also fails to happen quite often).
I personally think a subsection would be better where people can make separate threads for each "Looking for people" instance, and there is room for people to ask questions and get replies etc.