Looking for help with Forge, and multiple mods

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I want help setting up a forge environment.

I want to work on multiple mods, and Forge itself.
I want each mod to be under git control.
I want all of the details for a mod to be in it's own build.gradle file, and not have to worry about modifying a single shared build.gradle file.

And when it's time to update forge, and I make a new install of the new version of forge, I want to move everything over to the new forge version, so nothing should have to go into the old forge files.

I asked for help on another forum, and didn't get much.
Asking on irc only got Lex telling me to import the other mod folders into Eclipse; I tried that, and wound up with nothing more than two folders, "src" and "bin", both empty.

So, I'm asking here.

===

My goal:
1. Three different mods, in (something like) ~/Games/Minecraft/Modding/gits/{mod1,mod2,mod3). One will be a core mod, one is a core + normal, the other is just normal. But all will need their own gradle files. (To clarify, each of these directories has a .git folder pointing to their separate upstreams)
2. An install of Forge for editing / pull request generation, so I'll be making changes to Forge's stuff. (Draco help me find the forge code, but it's hidden inside ~/.gradle/caches, so that's probably not the right place to be editing)
3. Ideally, the ability to alter vanilla minecraft code as part of making forge changes / submitting new minecraft patches as part of the pull requests.
4. Every one of those directories connects to a git repository. Each has their own src/main directory and .git directory. Each has a separate build.gradle file. No cross talk. No "Make multiple different build stanzas in the top-level build.gradle file".

I am OK with saying "All of these mods will run together when run in eclipse". I would rather be able to say "Use mod A, don't use mod B", but if I can't, I can use "git checkout master" or something to clean up any mess.

I would rather not have the source for the mods inside an eclipse folder, but if it's a have-to, then it's a have-to.

Right now, I cannot get program arguments to work -- so far, everything has to be inn vm arguments, so I suspect I'm doing something wrong somewhere on that.

Beyond that, assume I'm ready and willing to start with a fresh install of the latest forge source download, and completely clean directories.

Tbsc

Jul 29, 2019
Just install forge (src file) in each mod directory. Updating is as simple as typing the new forge version in build.gradle and running gradlew again.
Something I didn't understand, do you want all of the mods in a git repo of its own, or all of the mods in the same repo? (I'd guess different repos for each mod)

Sent from my phone to this forum

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Each mod has its own git. Most will be forked from other places.

Installing forge multiple times, once for each mod? Sheesh, but that's what I'm doing now.

How do people with multiple mods do it? Xcw tried to explain his setup, but when I went to replicate it for myself, I did not understand what he was doing at all.