Lan troubles

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

OrkBoy

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
Lan troubles
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
infinity
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
me and the misses have been playing for months now using a lan connection and suddenly, out of the blue, the Lan connection wont even appear when she searches.
weve tried setting up a new world on hers and me trying to connect to that but even that doesn't show.
We've also tryed disabling firewalls and that hasn't worked either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
im on Windows 10 and she's using a Mac book

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
If you put lan on it should say a port number in the chat, remember it.
Now go to the command prompt (type cmd in the startmenu if I remember correctly) and write ipconfig. This should tell you your ip address
Go to the computer you want to connect with and click on direct connect. Insert the ip address ipconfig told you then a ":" (without the comma's) and then the port number
For example if the port was 1234 and your ip address is 123.16.4.90 then you type in 123.16.4.90:1234.
(this is assuming the computer that hosts the world is the windows one. If it isn't only the way to find the ip-address is different but I have no idea how to get it using a mac)

Reactions: OrkBoy

OrkBoy

Jul 29, 2019
You are a life saver, thankyou so much. Do you know why this possibly could've occurred?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I think it has to do with the way it searches for games. I think it usually only searches on one network and which that is can't be altered.
Normally this isn't a problem, even though LAN and wifi are both separate they are usual not used at the same time and if they are they usual are connected to the same network.
However some programs like for example Hamachi make their own network which minecraft happily use to search for games instead of the LAN/wifi networks.

Note: this is all speculation based on what I saw happen without any testing or confirmation that this is indeed what happens and there might be a lot more going on.