Knuxonia: Building a World

Knux897

Jul 29, 2019
I don't often post much here on the forums (not anymore anyways), but I've been working on a project for quite some time and felt it was time to share it.

I've always been fascinated with building an actual city in Minecraft, but when I discovered modded a few years ago with all the additional customization and just the fun of exploring new mods, I couldn't go back to vanilla. At one point, I had wanted to build a contemporary city with skyscrapers but I never got around to it. With the release of Immersive Engineering, I became extremely interested in creating not a contemporary city, but one that evoked the feeling of the European cities during the industrial revolution. I played on, and still do play using Feed the Beast Infinity Evolved. I really like all the mods used for this pack and while I like moving through tech trees, I was always disappointed when people start a series and leave it to move on to the new mods. I liked seeing people not only move through the tech trees, but also get creative with how they utilized their mods. That's what I've been doing, creating structures and environments that tell a story.

I started a map a few years ago and started to build my city. However, I lost the map and the following pictures are what I managed to find of it:

Some street shots of the small and incomplete residential district

PZtYJ6H.png

GpAHhFT.png

In the upper part of the city, built on the elevated plateau of a BoP Moor biome, I built the Capital district. The following is a picture of the museum entrance (you can't see the wings) and the pic after that show my old Capitol building.

F6CZY2I.png

BF0rJLv.png

So what have I done now? I'm still playing on the same pack, but on a different map and with the addition of the NPC mod to really make the city feel alive. I've also learned some lessons from my old map and have built everything on a much grander and larger scale.

Compare my old Capitol to my new one:

XGVxeFi.png

I don't use any plugins on the server (mainly because I'm not very tech savvy and I'm afraid of losing the map. I honestly don't really know how to save and reupload the map if needed) and so I've decided to not move the spawn area. The spawn area is located in a vanilla Minecraft jungle biome (which I really like) and therefore adapted it to the story of my land (Named Knuxonia after my screen name, without shame).

Any player who enters the server will spawn at the jungle outpost, which serves as a starting/tutorial area. I'm not yet ready to open up the server to other players, but using the NPC mod, I hope to create a series of quests or an RPG even. That being said, I've already given you a taste of my capital city in the spoiler above. Instead, I'm going to start by showing you the jungle outpost and the path leading to the city. From there, I will cover the different districts of the capital that I've already built.

The player starts in a bunkhouse of sorts, as if they had stayed the night after a long journey to the capital.

lDrG6AL.png

Stepping outside of the bunkhouse, the player meets an NPC who is a jungle hunter. You can't see his cape in this pic, but I modeled him after a 20th century British hunter (think the hunter from the original Jumanji). To the left of the first pic is the jungle outpost's merchant shop. The second pic shows some of the shop interior.

dGbsago.png

VC3JvJ0.png

The jungle outpost isn't complete, but here are some pics to give you an idea of the layout and show you my fisherman NPC who will hopefully give you a simple fishing quest in the future.

F3OFHYA.png

6Nw30lY.png

Last, we have the pathway leading from the jungle outpost, through the jungle, and to the city.

ZGWLbba.png

Torches light the way. Stay on the path, follow the torches and you'll be safe. Otherwise, risk running into the natives or possibly something even worse.

dpGfq8D.png

This continues on the next post:

Knux897

Jul 29, 2019
Continued on from the first post:

Is that a volcano in the distance? How aesthetic.

MbhIMa9.png

Having continued down the path for quite a ways, you start to see the first sign of civilization over the trees.

4vvnjmU.png

I purposefully placed the path in a way that allowed you to see through a clearing and into the industrial district of the city far away, catching your first glimpse of what to expect.

xx749nA.png

The jungle pathway leads into another biome. Some enchanted forest it seems. Through there, you make your way into the first part of the city that you'll experience.

TWJsQKx.png

NOVMa0d.png

1qboE7E.png

FRgBtuC.png

I look forward to sharing more and getting input from the community. I certainly need it in some cases, especially on making the factories look better. But, we'll get into that later. For now, please let me know what you think.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Fantastic stuff! I love it all :) how did you do the windows in your residential district?? They look excellent!

Knux897

Jul 29, 2019
Fantastic stuff! I love it all :) how did you do the windows in your residential district?? They look excellent!

I simply use forge microblocks. Posts go horizontally and strips go vertically.

To continue on with my city showcase, I've created a rudimentary map to show the different districts and what I've done so far. Starting at the top-left, the district in orange is the Capitol district with all of the governmental and culturally related buildings. In the red is the factory district. In light blue is the residential district with the darker blue representing further residential development in the future. In between these two areas in the pink is the university which I'm in the process of building the campus for. To the very far right in the black is a possible location for a "poor" residential district. Finally at the bottom in the green is the outskirts of the city, also known as the farming district. You can't tell from the map, but the Capital and factory districts are elevated on a plateau (BoP Moor biome) above the rest of the city.

0FmHUY1.png

Now it's time to show off some of my new residential district.

Continuing on from the jungle outpost, you cross the bridge into the city.

8gSOM87.png

Having grown in in Florida, I've visited the theme parks here quite a bit (Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Seaworld). I'm completely fascinated by the architecture and logistical structure of theme parks. Since many theme parks create buildings that are just facades, that's what I've done with the residential district. However, interspersed with these facades are actual buildings with furnished interiors. The following pics show the red and white brick building to be a livable piece of real-estate.

qEIasOT.png

vWqDfmv.png

KRM9S0M.png

It even has a yard with a garden.

U9PeRfK.png

Looking to your right, you'll see what I call "main street". It's certainly not an actual main street, but with the factory at the end, it's intended to allow you to get a grasp of where the factory district starts. It can't be an actual mainstreet because the layout of the city is inherently chaotic. Things just simply go where they fit and there's no order to street design. I did this on purpose to make the city feel bigger. Looking down the street, on the right is a food market (with a following interior shot). On the left is the bank.

njqEjiN.png

k4XFxPn.png

89RoT6n.png

tAar9Ws.png

There's a lot to see and so I look forward to posting more later. Let me know what you think.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Looks great.
If there was one thing I would recommend, it is trying to mix in some terrain variation throughout the city. Gives it a bit more natural feel and makes for some great opportunities for retaining walls, staircases, basement entries etc.
Keep it up ;)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
One observation from your streets, are they all road, or are they all pavement? If there are pavements and roads, they need to be on different levels. They also need more decoration to break up the monotonous flatness, lamposts, raised flower beds, bins, ladies of pleasure on street corners (cough... :p)

Amazing build work though, nice job!