Just a heads up fellow server owners

Leganie

Jul 29, 2019
Someone has been ddosing everfree forest the player was From: J4ckyll44 I left out there email incase I get in trouble.
> Subject: DDoS
>
> Message Body:
> I'm going to keep DDoSing it since the admins didn't help me get my items back when xxcrazymindxx griefed my home and managed to steal my stuff.
>
> --
> This mail is sent via contact form on Everfree Forest http://www.everfreeforest.net
>

So heads up for you guys watch out for this player never asked staff for anything that I know of then this crap started. Watch out

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
This folks is why you hold a bigger stick than the other guy. If a service you pay for like a Minecraft server is DDOS'ed, the host will often reduce or remove the bill for the unexpected downtime, in order to keep you happy. Because this is also a paid service you can take him to small claims court if you happen to know the persons name and have his IP address. Thirdly, if he thinks running such an attack on someone else's connection is funny, its not legally allowed, but I always have my own little DDOS setup ready to fire back, which most likely convinces them I am not one to be trifled with. (Only ever used it once, someone got pissy and had a copy of HOIC)

My last point, is that any worthwhile host will have a system in place to block a DDOS type attack, which usually means blocking all outside connections until the pings stop, then legitimate pings are allowed through. If your server crash's because someone is DDOS'ing it, its time to get a new host with better hardware and/or software.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or a networking expert, do not take this to be 100% true, mainly the part about small claims court, that's rather expensive and won't work if they don't reside in the same state/territory. The best thing to do is wait out the attack and simply make sure your host is doing their part to prevent it.

Jawshee

Jul 29, 2019
We own and manage our own hardware, as well as host it.

You will find that downtime caused by the user, either directly or indirectly, for example a Denial of service attack will usually not be covered by the SLA, and can sometimes even result in suspension or termination if its a continual co-occurrence.

You mentioned you have your own set up to retaliate with, you speak about how people can be taken to court for attacks, yet you then mention you do it yourself?