Java 6 + FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Buddykool

Jul 29, 2019
I have Java 6 installed(I need for regular minecraft, Windows 8), and I've heard a rumor that it cannot be used with FTB. Is this true, if so, are there any ways around it?

Toraxa

Jul 29, 2019
I recall having these issues trying to set up a server on linux a few months ago. We only had java 6 on the box and it kept giving us errors. It turned out that we needed Java 7. IndustrialCraft required 7 for certain, but I can't recall which others might have.

Is there some explicit reason you don't want to run 7 as well? It can cause some issues with programs that were designed for 6 and set to use 6+, however they don't seem too common and usually when they come up the authors set them to use 6 specifically. If there are no such issues, you should simply be able to install Java 7 alongside Java 6, and use both.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
Java 6 works fine. Why not try it? In less than 5 minutes you will have a definitive answer for your machine, I have not tried Windows 8.

I can tell you on Windows 7 I am using Java 6 with no issues at all. If I use Java 7 my crappy video drivers crash within seconds so I had to downgrade to Java 6. Now they are back to only crashing occasionally.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I run FTB with Java 6 on Win 7 without issues. In fact, it's Java 7 that's causing me trouble, whenever I try to run FTB or Mindcraft in general it just insta-crashes/doesn't do anything.

So yeah, if that's a rumor I doubt it's true. What's preventing you from trying it out and seeing for yourself if you have any issues? FTB doesn't touch your vanilla install at all, so you can always go back.